Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Dualbox controller input cache issue
Dualbox controller input cache issue
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-12-26 15:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to get my wife's pc working with XI again and having some significant troubles. We use the same basic setup. Both of us play two characters and a single PS4 controller with a program like switchmon to swap between the instances.

Since she came back, she's unable to play because every time she swaps instances, it rapid-fires all the same inputs she just entered on her other character. So if she's on one character and presses L2 and then X, and then flips characters, her other character will get sent the same input(although faster). I'm not sure what is causing it. I thought perhaps it was her controller but I swapped hers out for mine(same ps4 controller style though) and it still does not work. I tried uninstalling drivers for the controller and just general USB drivers, plugging it in to other USB slots and nothing has worked so far. The problem occurs with both switchmon as well as our custom program. Worth noting that keyboard strokes do not get cached when switching and we press a button on the controller to switch(R1).

I'm not sure what to try next. Perhaps someone here might have an idea?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-12-27 20:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oddly a full re-install of FFXI was what had to happen to fix it. Not really sure why.
 Asura.Ariant
Server: Asura
user: Ariant
By Asura.Ariant 2015-12-30 18:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Same thing is happening to me and I really don't want to reinstall. Wonder if it's a config option or something.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-31 08:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I realize that it's a tad overkill but an alternative would be to run each instance of the game in it's own vmware VM. I've been doing that for a few years and have been overall pleased with the results. Downside is updating so many basically computers and clients. Upside is I can have a controller designated for each.
 Asura.Ariant
Server: Asura
user: Ariant
By Asura.Ariant 2015-12-31 17:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a great solution if you want two people playing on the same computer, but I just play two characters myself and would prefer to use a controller, with R1 bound to FFXISwitchMonitor to swap between characters. Something seems to have broke recently, even without FFXISwitchMonitor, controller inputs are messed up when I alt-tab or switch windows.