Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Escha » Ru'ann/Zitah/Reisenjima NM's Killing, Magic Burst
Ru'ann/Zitah/Reisenjima NM's Killing, Magic Burst
By lhova 2015-12-08 11:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just trying to figure out something. If a well geared/skilled (1200+ JPS) BLu could spam light or dark at will, why would it be more beneficial to have a SCH be the only source of SC (Fusion/Distortion) for BLM's to magic burst on? I get the idea that it could possibly be "safer" to have the SCH do it but I thought that the magic burst damage is a multiplier of the sc damage and if the BLU could do substantially higher damage sc and provide them more frequently then I don't get the SCH only method. Any info/opinions would be appreciated.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2015-12-08 11:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

it's viable, but then it adds extra sources of error (i.e. lack of buffs leading to death or missing ws), plus another body to take care of meaning you may need a healer. sch can also mb for high damage if they aren't gimp
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skudo
Server: Carbuncle
user: SKudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2015-12-08 11:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Accuracy.

lhova said: »
I thought that the magic burst damage is a multiplier of the sc damage

No, the amount of actual SC damage does not affect MB numbers.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-12-08 11:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Safer yes. Fewer enemy TP moves due to less TP feed, 100% Skillchain vs maybe a skillchain - remember these NMs can use crap like terror, paralyze, slow, stun, shadows, etc which will interrupt your skillchains wihout the aid of something like chain affinity.
[+]
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2015-12-08 11:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea the accuracy of the blu plays a role, especially the higher up you go. Not only that but debillitating status effects like petrify or amnesia plays a huge role as well. The sch can avoid all of this while a blu can't, and even things like para can severely hinder a blu's ability to self sc. Throw in the fact that a sch doing the sc's can also efficiently mb off themselves, especially helix, and the sch actually does it better in a lot of cases, not just safer.
[+]
By lhova 2015-12-08 11:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys just killed my BLU dreams of destruction.. What's the point of super powering my BLU if I can't even ws on a mob in fear of interupting the SCH and the BLM's. I cry now...
 Carbuncle.Skudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2015-12-08 11:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You just don't take melees to a (focused) SC+MB setup. Likewise, if your assumptions of being able to SC at will are given, you might as well just melee ***to death instead of bringing a SC+MB setup.

Except for the highest end of content, things can be done in different ways. It's not just SC+MB all the things.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ganlere
Server: Cerberus
user: Ganlere
By Cerberus.Ganlere 2015-12-08 11:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Having tried BLU and SCH in a SC/MB party against 130+ escha, it is difficult if everyone doesn't know what, how, when, etc. First, you'll need buffers for each job, a good healer, the BLU and SCH either need to know each other well, be on some sort of speak, or something to not interrupt each other. BLU needs high end gear, 1200 JP and 1200+ acc.

Overall, honestly was more of a pain that what it was worth. Wife was the blu, so she knows the pain of not getting to use a well worked up job. Gets put on COR duty most of the time lol.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-12-08 11:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm BLU on just about everything outside of T3 Ruaunn/Reisen. The absurdly high level content where melees are meh, I'm SCH or BLM. BLU is still ridiculously useful in high content, but most 135+ is just much easier and cleaner with mages.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-08 11:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys just killed my BLU dreams of destruction.. What's the point of super powering my BLU if I can't even ws on a mob in fear of interupting the SCH and the BLM's. I cry now...

What do you expect lol. This is FFXI, besides GEO and WHM I can't think of any job that fits into any setup even with super gears.
By lhova 2015-12-08 11:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skudo said: »
You just don't take melees to a (focused) SC+MB setup. Likewise, if your assumptions of being able to SC at will are given, you might as well just melee ***to death instead of bringing a SC+MB setup.

Except for the highest end of content, things can be done in different ways. It's not just SC+MB all the things.

I mean I know that there are different ways of doing it. I'm just not sure why the SCH and Blu couldn't work together, Blu with TP CA Light/Dark, Blm's MB, then Sch SC, BLM's MB, then if its still alive BLU attempts to SC etc. Just seems like I can never get a DD role no matter the job.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-08 11:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skudo said: »

I mean I know that there are different ways of doing it. I'm just not sure why the SCH and Blu couldn't work together, Blu with TP CA Light/Dark, Blm's MB, then Sch SC, BLM's MB, then if its still alive BLU attempts to SC etc. Just seems like I can never get a DD role no matter the job.

Because the buffs required by melee jobs and mage jobs are very different. If you buff melees then mage gonna be gimp, if you buff mages then melee gonna be gimp. If you use more GEO to buff both you're wasting more party slot that you can use another mage or melee DD instead.

It's hard to fit both in if you wanna maximize your party output.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2015-12-08 12:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I know that there are different ways of doing it. I'm just not sure why the SCH and Blu couldn't work together.

As said: Why would you want that.

If you can hit it reliably enough to SC at will without CA, you might just add another DD and shift support towards melees. Which probably is a nice change for everyone involved, seeing how (too) many people just toss SC+MB at things where possible.

In the end, if you want to add a BLU to a SC+MB setup, just do it. It doesn't matter much on content lower than 135, anyway. Not everything needs to be done with a steamroll setup, especially anything under 140+.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-12-08 12:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Safer yes. Fewer enemy TP moves due to less TP feed, 100% Skillchain vs maybe a skillchain - remember these NMs can use crap like terror, paralyze, slow, stun, shadows, etc which will interrupt your skillchains wihout the aid of something like chain affinity.

Yeah, mage setups are much easier to support. When you have more than just a tank and geomancer in range, your support requirements, especially from your WHM, ramp up quickly.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-08 19:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It's usually unwise to split your party strategy. FFXI is about raising your stats to be over the monsters stats and then exploiting some sort of damage mechanic. Right now there are three different exploitable mechanics.

BST burn: This is a *** cheat code with how absurdly exploitable it is. Focus on pet buffs and let the BST's burn everything down.

SC + MB: Focus on raising your nukers magic attack, magic accuracy while lowering the targets magic defense / magic evasion. This one focus's on exploiting stacking Magic Burst Bonus and Magic Burst multipliers while exploiting the inverse relationship between your Matk and the targets Mdef.

Melee / SC: Focus on buffing one or two melee's offensively while also making them nearly impervious to status effects. Bonus points if they are able to coordinate themselves such that skillchains are made for extra damage. This one exploits the fact that SE didn't buff monsters magic accuracy to obscene levels like they did Evasion / Defense / Attack. By using Vex + Attunment you an usually block most of the really nasty status ailments that shut down melee setups, like Amnesia, Terror, Petrify and uber-Paralyze. Melee's are hasted and go to town beating the NM to death while making SC's for extra damage. BRD's or another GEO works well in this setup.

Each of three methods works, the third one is where BLU fits in the most. Any CL over 135 the third method starts to becoming less efficient because the acc / atk requirement gets pretty bad when you need vex + attunment.