Forum » Windower » Support » Dualboxing with a controller
Dualboxing with a controller
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2015-11-30 18:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, posting for a buddy who's having an issue and I can't seem to find the info to help him out. He runs a controller, but is there a way to disable it in his second instance of FFXI? Also, is there any way of running 2 controllers, 1 for each instance?

Thanks!
 Odin.Stormcroww
Server: Odin
By Odin.Stormcroww 2015-11-30 18:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically. No and No when running from a single PC. You would have to run each account from a separate system.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-30 18:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
He runs a controller, but is there a way to disable it in his second instance of FFXI?controllers, 1 for each instance?
By this are you asking if it can be completely disabled for that instance or only disabled for the session that is not in focus?

I dual box using a controller and use an application where I can hit a button on my controller(R1) and it will switch me between instances instantly, no alt tab so you won't end up on the wrong window when you hit it. I don't disable it for either, but only the active instance gets input from it which is the default method. Honestly find this to be WAY more effective and faster than two controllers. I occasionally had to play my wife's chars as well as mine so I'd use her controller for her 2 and mine for my two and it was awful even when just using only 2 characters.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2015-11-30 19:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

He's having an issue where the gamepad is active in each window, whichever instance is open. Right now he's unable to even select a character in the second screen because it's scrolling everywhere.

If this program you run fixes the problem he's having, mind if you link me to it?

Or if you can totally disable it in the second instance, that's fine.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-30 19:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
He's having an issue where the gamepad is active in each window, whichever instance is open. Right now he's unable to even select a character in the second screen because it's scrolling everywhere.

If this program you run fixes the problem he's having, mind if you link me to it?
Oh, after logging in, has he alt tabbed between each session? Each time I log in my cursor goes nuts until I've manually clicked on each window.

If it's continuing after going on each screen, then I'm not entirely sure, I haven't had that happen before.

As for the program I use, it's a custom coded application by my brother in law to avoid a problem I ran in to with switchmon. I'd have to figure out a place to host it and modify it for other people to be able to use since it's hard coded for my character's names. But if you want to try switchmon, that's a much more commonly used program.

The site I normally see it on seems to be missing? But this appears to be the download page now. I can't vouch for if this still works though as I haven't used switchmon in a few years now.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffxiswitchmon/
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2015-11-30 19:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

He can't stop the cursor from scrolling up as soon as he clicks the accept terms button. From there on out it's a roulette up to the character select screen.

I'll give him that link and hope it works. Thanks for the help.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-30 19:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure that switchmon alone would actually "fix" the issue. If clicking on each FFXI instance or alt tabbing between them doesn't fix the rapid scrolling then I don't think switchmon would do anything to help. But I'd go ahead and let him know about both. If I can get any other info I might be able to help more.