Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-10-06 18:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Separating it between separate fields is the problem with the Gaming industry these days, and there's 0 reason for it. The game is the same no matter what platform it's played on. The experience may change based on available options and accessories, but the game itself does not change.

This is a bit of a misconception. Although games are often ported between platforms, hardware differences have played a huge role in the way games are programmed. An in-house studio is able to get a lot more mileage out of their devs if they're building a game specifically to one platform/console.
Someone mentioned the Batman PC version earlier. Something like such, where supposedly Batman was horrid on PC yet amazing on PS4, I can't rap head around. All these talks of how PS4 and Xbox1 are mirror images of PCs and how ports should be effortless now. Not sure what happened there.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-10-06 18:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

one important thing, pc gamers, rarely buy their games from game stores or even electronic or store departments anymore, they usually just buy from other sources such as steam, origin, or directly from the developer's site.

store sales should not reflect actual game sales for the pc gaming market.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-10-06 18:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
store sales should not reflect actual game sales for the pc gaming market
They don't, as far as I know. I'm under the impression that most sales figures are going to include digital sales.

I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a game for use on my PC. Oh wait, It was skyrim, and the box had a steam installer and a CD key inside. I couldn't install the game directly from the disc(which was the whole reason I went to the midnight launch to buy a hard copy, since I had crap internet at the time).
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-10-06 18:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
Not sure what happened there.
WB developed the game for console, then asked a backwater studio, with limited budget and crazy deadline to port the game to pc.
Studio made WB aware that the PC game was ***and glitchy, they did not care and released it anyways.
end result was, bad compatibility with drivers and stuff, causing major crash bugs, low FPS ranging between 30 to 3 and many more errors. WB apologized and withdrew the game, offering major refunds.
[+]
By Elizabet 2015-10-06 20:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

A game doesn't become AAA based off of sales. It's only allowed to remain AAA post launch if it is commercialy or critically successful. What defines a game as AAA is based on dev team size (this one is becoming less and less a criteria), budget size and projected size / quality of the game.

A game is or isn't AAA at its inception. That aim can change during dev time. It has been seen that game started off as a small xbla aimed game and decided to up the budget, team, size of the game mid dev. But even dev'd as AAA, it isn't allowed to keep that designation if it fails (aka Duke nukem forever)