High Tier Fenrir Fight
First Page 2
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-04 23:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been trying to solo/duo this fight as BLU/RUN, and I'm encountering a whole lot of randomness with the difficulty, strength, and behavior of Fenrir. Has anyone else had any similar experience? Currently, I'm 3-2 on "normal mode" and would describe each fight as such:

1: Win, but it was pretty close. At the end, he seemed to heavily favor and spam Impact, which took me from ~2000 HP to ~100 HP. Was pretty easy til ~20% though.

2: Win, and he was an absolute pushover. He used almost nothing except for Eclipse Bite, and missed several of them. He didn't cast Impact at all, and only used one damaging AoE. His accuracy was complete ***this fight, and he was almost like fighting the regular Fenrir, except with more HP.

3: Lost super fast. He ran in, and basically one-shotted both Amchuchu and Apururu in about 5 seconds, before using Lunar Bay for ~1500 damage, and hitting me for like 600 damage + 950 damage AoE. Attempt was on Lightningsday with double Lux up, Waning Gibbous.

4: Lost, but not quite as fast as attempt #3. Again, he insta-killed Amchuchu, then just started spamming the ***out of Lunar Bay for ~1500 damage til everything was dead. Attempt was on Lightsday with double Lux up, Waning Gibbous.

5: Won somewhat easily, although he eventually got Amchuchu to die after dispelling buffs with Lunar Roar. Seemed to have lower defense than usual, and his AE damage was super weak (~25). Almost as easy as #2, until ~15% when he started spamming Lunar Bay for ~900-1100. Same buffs as fights 3 and 4, but Lunar Bay was noticeably weaker and not as frequent as fight #4.

Fights 1, 2 and 5 were solo with 5 trusts... fights 3 and 4 were duo (BLU and THF) with four trusts. I could see if we were gradually worn down in those two fights, and a case could be made that "2 healers, 1 DD" is better than "2 DD, 1 healer" - but those two fights were just absolute and instant slaughters from the outset.

Has anyone else noticed weird mechanics with this fight?
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2015-10-04 23:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I soloed him a bit on N (30ish? runs) trying to get my body personally and never noticed anything odd like you're describing. One thing with dying super fast, could be that amchuchu was getting killed before buffs were fully up, a rather annoying common problem with trusts. The first 10 seconds of fenrir fights were always the most annoying.

The one weird thing I did encounter is sometimes I find fenrir's just not proccable when you first enter the fight and you can't do it until after he does his first howling moon, that can make getting hit at all really dangerous since you can't make his added effect go away.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-10-05 01:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

What defensive spells are you keeping active? I'd suggest /NIN rather than /RUN, as you'll get all of your magical defenses from Saline Coat and Magic Barrier. With both up, I was getting hit for about 300 from Howling Moon on D. Been soloing it on D the past few days, but it can be very close.

Shadows are exceptionally important for Eclipse Bite, which can easily one-shot you if you're not careful.

If necessary, also consider dropping some offensive traits for defensive ones, such as magic defense bonus or magic evasion bonus traits. Both are significant boosts in defense.
 Bismarck.Dubai
Server: Bismarck
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2015-10-05 01:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tarowyn said: »
I soloed him a bit on N (30ish? runs) trying to get my body personally and never noticed anything odd like you're describing. One thing with dying super fast, could be that amchuchu was getting killed before buffs were fully up, a rather annoying common problem with trusts. The first 10 seconds of fenrir fights were always the most annoying.

The one weird thing I did encounter is sometimes I find fenrir's just not proccable when you first enter the fight and you can't do it until after he does his first howling moon, that can make getting hit at all really dangerous since you can't make his added effect go away.

Which job did you solo it on?
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2015-10-05 02:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM/NIN since I didn't have amchuchu at the time and I didn't trust myself to tank it on BLU

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-05 09:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I pretty much agree that it's super easy on normal, but it just seems to randomly spike super difficult right from the outset.

It stands at 4 fights where I owned it, and 2 fights where he went ape ***right off the bat.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Latest attempt, albeit ***quality, and I'm not sure why it's sped up by default.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-05 09:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the quickest way to Full Moon Fountain these days?

Pre-warp obviously.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-05 10:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Cg on the cape.

Yeah, I don't think it gets a difficulty spike as much as it gets lucky on move order and connecting hits. Could be a day boost too if you are going in on darksday.

Thanks.

Move selection/order could simply be the case, but does his AE damage start off super strong and gradually weaken? Same with his accuracy, which seems to be complete ***some fights. For the most part, as someone said, it seems like the fights are decided in the first ten seconds.

Just tried to get away with using NanaaMihgo instead of a second WHM trust, and it didn't work out so well, but the timing of things seemed awful in this fight... Highlights of a loss.

[10:40:35] [Apururu] Convert → Apururu
[10:40:35] [Fenrir Prime] Howling Moon → Francisco
(Apururu obviously died immediately after this. No idea why she decided to Convert instead of use Nott...)

[10:40:55] [Fenrir Prime] Lunar Roar → Francisco
[10:40:58] Francisco's Blink/Protect/Shell/everything wears off.
[10:41:02] [Francisco] Occultation → Francisco
[10:41:09] [Fenrir Prime] Lunar Roar → Francisco
[10:41:11] Francisco's Blink effect wears off.
(Pretty douchey right here...)

[10:41:23] [Fenrir Prime] Lunar Bay → Francisco
[10:41:26] [Fenrir Prime] 741 Lunar Bay → Francisco
[10:41:38] [Fenrir Prime] Lunar Bay → Francisco
[10:41:41] [Fenrir Prime] 1483 Lunar Bay → Francisco
(...and good luck surviving without shell.)

This one only made it to 51%.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2015-10-05 11:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

His AE dmg starts out strong and gets weak every time you red proc him with WS during his WS. It then gets strong again every time he howling moons and you have to proc him again.

I have noticed his ws's just straight out whiff surprisingly often, dunno what's up with that. Maybe his acc varies with moon phase like ecliptic howl, lol.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-05 11:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

/nin slows the fight a lot. You can see in the completion times between Spicy and Francisco. Francisco had like ~5-6 mins and Spicy had ~11-12 mins. But I imagine /nin can be safer for some times when Fenrir might spam Roar and Moon. Occultation just seems to let you go HAM and make MP-death or Apururu Convert-death less of a concern in my opinion.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-05 11:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It's good to save a JA proc (like Swipe) to prevent Lunar Roar, though you're kinda helpless if he spams it or if he does it when you're mid-cast. I also bring Panaceas just for Impact, but that might be a bit costly.

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-05 11:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
It's good to save a JA proc (like Swipe) to prevent Lunar Roar, though you're kinda helpless if he spams it or if he does it when you're mid-cast. I also bring Panaceas just for Impact, but that might be a bit costly.

Panaceas remove all the stat down? I was wondering the benefit of Panacaes as I've been hording them all this time. I thought they could remove Amnesia but turned out I was wrong on that.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-05 11:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Panaceas cover anything Erase will cover, and unlike Erase, it will remove them all at once.

According to the files, there's only 1 kind of Amnesia, so I think any variation you're seeing must be from the ability that caused it, not the status itself.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-05 11:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Also of importance...

I might drop some offensive traits for Saline Coat and Magic Barrier in subsequent fights. I'll have to look and see what I'm willing to sacrifice.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-10-05 12:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Just. Just what did you dooo!

*crying* I'm sorry but that image is just too good not to share with people.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-05 12:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »

100 or 1200 blu?

Drop STP to Sudden and Fantod, drop TA to DA.

I don't have the 100 1200 job trait yet... (edited line)

My Fenrir spellset thus far has been:

Quad. Continuum
Empty Thrash
Delta Thrust
Heavy Strike
Sudden Lunge
Barbed Crescent
Paralyzing Triad
Thrashing Assault
Sinker Drill
Blazing Bound
Fantod
Zephyr Mantle (only using this in emergencies)
Occultation
Erratic Flutter
Molting Plumage
Cocoon
Magic Fruit (even with trusts, it's been necessary here and there)
Diffusion Ray
Blinding Fulgor (M.Evade II is nice, but maybe this is the weakest link?)
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-05 12:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said: »
I don't have the 100 job trait yet...

get it together!
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-05 12:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Shiva.Francisco said: »
I don't have the 100 job trait yet...

get it together!

Says the guy who never logs on!
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-05 12:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Dropping Diffusion Ray will get you both of those spells and not impact, pun intended, much of your damage output.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-05 13:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I mistyped... I DO have the 100 JP gift... meant to say I don't have the 1200 gift yet. Sorry about that.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-05 13:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »

It's a PlasticSurgeon glitch methinks.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-05 13:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Sylph.Shadowlina said: »

It's a PlasticSurgeon glitch methinks.

Pretty sure this is it, seems pretty glitchy now-a-days, switching back and forth when talking to NPCs, distorting on BCNM entry, etc...
First Page 2