Forum » FFXI » General » LogiCrap Gamepads
LogiCrap Gamepads
 Sylph.Jarvick
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Krichtan
By Sylph.Jarvick 2015-09-30 12:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I have used these and the Rumble Pads ^ a lot myself. One thing you can try is if you are playing close to a desk, maybe wrap the cord around a handle, so if it does fall from your lap, it won't hit the floor. Otherwise, I am not sure why you are having so many issues. Maybe you just got some from a bad batch? I have been using them for years with no problems. The cordless are nice, but they are heavier. That and the batteries always have the habit of running out when you need them the most :P
By Jetackuu 2015-09-30 13:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pintseyes said: »
Ever since returning to FFxi, roughly a year now I have gone through THREE of these Logitech Gamepads. If there is any advice I can give that may save someone else some frustration it would be, do not purchase this..

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/f310-gamepad

The first one died within two weeks of owning it, I made it into a spare part controller. It's pretty sad when you buy two of something in hopes of not needing to re-up for a while and your hopes are shattered by "Made in China". Likewise if you need to buy two so that one may part out to fix the other one. Just WTF!

Any advice on a good two toggle D-pad 4 trigger PS style controller? It doesn't have to make coffee for me, just work for as long as I require it to.

Thanks for the advice.

I've had a few 310's over the years, and their QC is iffy, but after fixing the one the last time it has worked great since (spring was stuck).

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
You can try using an actual PS2/PS3 controller, finding the drivers, and going from there.

Or, I use an XBox 360 wireless controller. I did have to remap the triggers though, because FFXI doesn't natively detect the force-sensitive trigger on XBox 360.

PS2 controller w/ adapter doesn't need any special drivers and works out of the box, I've heard the PS4 controller is supposed to be direct-input however I've also heard it needs software to work, so I'm curious.

360 (even wireless) can work with the right drivers, here's win7 compatible wireless ones:

http://lavendy.net/special/driver/x360wc/index.html

The issue is that the 360 controller is an x-input device, which a game has to be made for directx 9 or above (iirc) and XI is using 8.1 (also has a lot to do with many of our other common issues).

Asura.Pintseyes said: »
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
A button being stuck is an easy fix.

Do you come here just to be cynical? I've owned FOUR of these in the past EIGHT years. Caps intended. The previous models, the only difference was that they could not be turned into a Xbox controller on the flip of a switch. These new ones can. My previous two that I played FFXI with were powerhouses. Thus when I returned I bought two more thinking they would last.

Go ahead and be cynical, go ahead try to argue.. It's all relevant when I ask. Are you a *** all the time orrrr just while you are awake? You have been no help. If you wanna buy one, do it. I'm not here to defend myself, I've owned these long enough and know what I did or did not do.

Bottom line is, Logitech has become crap. That's coming from a decade long customer.

Take care.. The end.
Yet he's right. While Logitech's QC leaves something to be desired, they're not designed to be dropped/tossed/etc.

As far as on topic:

If you plan to play other games too then I'd probably get a used PS2 controller from a local shop (so you can see the quality/take it back if it doesn't work, etc) and this adapter (have 2 of them, they work great:

http://www.shophde.com/h05i.html

(Amazon seems to be out of stock, not sure if it's discontinued or not).
 Fenrir.Celdwn
Server: Fenrir
user: celdwn
By Fenrir.Celdwn 2015-09-30 14:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I found a new one at Bestbuy, it seems to be lasting a bit longer, still on first one, but it is going longer i think. "Steelseries" it even has a spam button.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-09-30 14:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Logitech has given me nice controllers.
they usually die out from wear and tear (usually the analogs)

you said controller died in 2 weeks? why would you not return that to the store and call it defective?

economic wise, go buy ps2 controller and a ps2/usb adapter, pretty cheap and easy to setup.
 Asura.Chrssy
Server: Asura
user: Chrssy
By Asura.Chrssy 2015-09-30 15:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the same one I have. I bought mine on Amazon for 10 bucks though so can't really complain. Still going strong.

Are you throwing your controller at a wall? Three in one year? Yikes!

You could use a wireless PS3 controller (if you don't want to spend money). The drivers would stop working for me at times while in game though, but it's been a while since I've used them so perhaps they're better now.
 Asura.Pintseyes
Server: Asura
user: yurmy123
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-10-01 17:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Divinian said: »
Its heaviness takes some getting used to at first, but I don't notice it anymore. I assume when the buttons start to stick a bit, I will do what I used to do with my old F310s...take it apart, remove the buttons, and clean with rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip. Works pretty well for stuck buttons caused by skin oils over long term usage.

That's another issue I had quite often. 310 needs to be cleaned monthly is not sooner. It seems like the contacts for the D-pad kept getting too much carbon on them and would totally stop working in whatever direction the carbon was on. This just makes it seem more like a bad design.

As stated I owned the older version of the 310 for roughly 6 years and it worked without much issue. When I quit XI in 2010 I had the older version of 310, it was maybe 2 years old at that time and when I came back to XI last year, 6 years later, I was using the same gamepad I had quit with. That's why I decided to buy two of the newer models. They lasted now only through XI gaming, but 5 more years of random gaming, letting roommates borrow it, falling on the floor often etc.

Please know I'm not trying to hurt anyone feelings or dislike what you like. We all have our reasons and I simply wanted to know yours (whoever you are). I could have easily went and complained and some other forum, the likelihood that the people replying also play XI- slim. Your guys advice imo is better than anywhere I could ask.

I really appreciate all your guys info. Just to clear the air, this game pad breaks itself. Maybe the 700 series is solid, maybe someone has owned one or two and enjoyed it. This is MY story and I'm telling it as it happened. If you wanna troll, I recommend scrolling up and seeing that... I'm not the only one who is claiming this. Eye might be lying, do people think everyone is? The arrogance =\ So please keep your low blows in your pocket.

Thanks again everyone.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 18:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah literally never have had to clean the dpads. While I won't dismiss that the much older Logitech cintrollers generally had a better build quality your issues are looking more and more like environmental.

I gave every possible solution (short of other brands, and how to use a PS3 controller) that wasn't covered by others. This thread could probably be locked now.
By Ramyrez 2015-10-01 19:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw the thread title and I immediately saw your problem.

You're playing with a controller, not a keyboard. My Logitech keyboard is amazing.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-01 19:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That pad has some of the highest consumer scores out there. I know three people who have it and they all say it's great.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

You're playing with a controller, not a keyboard. My Logitech keyboard is amazing.
/stare
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-01 22:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Ramyrez said: »

/stare

If I didn't have to use text chat in MMO's, I'd probably never play anything besides FPS with a keyboard.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I mostly don't talk to people anymore myself, and the fluid movement of the controller (and camera) is much better, so it works.

/antisocialbehavior
 Sylph.Jarvick
Server: Sylph
user: Krichtan
By Sylph.Jarvick 2015-10-02 06:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried using a keyboard when I first started playing. I guess I had just been playing too many games on my consoles. It was too weird and when I went and got a controller, it was so much better for me. That being said, you gotta use whichever you feel comfortable with.

I didn't realize they had adapters that could connect my PS2 controllers to the PC. That's pretty slick. I may have to look into that if my Logitech ever dies, because I still have a few PS2 controllers.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2015-10-05 17:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I just dropped my F310, and was too lazy to bend down all the way to grab it, so I lifted it by its cord

and it still works
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-10-05 18:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jarvick said: »
I tried using a keyboard when I first started playing. I guess I had just been playing too many games on my consoles. It was too weird and when I went and got a controller, it was so much better for me. That being said, you gotta use whichever you feel comfortable with.

I didn't realize they had adapters that could connect my PS2 controllers to the PC. That's pretty slick. I may have to look into that if my Logitech ever dies, because I still have a few PS2 controllers.

I still suggest anyone that wants to get an adapter to get one at etokki.com instead of the horrid ones found on Amazon. They last longer, have been vouched for by a few electrical engineers and used to great effect in competition. I've never heard of them breaking down for anyone but I have actually witnessed an Amazon adapter glitching out live during a Street Fighter tournament.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 19:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Only trick is that they don't have any PS2 Controller > USB adapters.

Not to mention that Amazon has had different ones, and each vary.

Any piece of electronics can glitch, go figure.
 Shiva.Kingmancat
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-14 12:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kingmancat said: »
I went through a bunch of controllers over the years trying to find a good one. Oddly enough, that very Logitech listed did me the best. It lasted longer than any other before the one I use now; 2 years.

What I'm using now is a regular Xbox One controller. They figured out the drivers for the thing and it works like a charm, just not wirelessly. They haven't worked that out yet. But ff you don't have issues with having to be tethered, and given what you're coming from I don't see why you would, you should have no problems with a plain X1 controller.

And then there's this.

What alot of folks have been waiting for.