Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI on the go
FFXI on the go
By Bamboom 2015-09-22 20:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

How viable would it be to play ffxi using mobile data? Would it completely destroy my data? Would it be super laggy? I have 2 hours of commute time via train which could make for some ffxi time. Has anyone tried something like this? Also, if it is possible, what would be the best device to play on? I figured since my old dinosaur computer could run ffxi, maybe something portable would be able to run it just as well...
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-09-22 21:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI's low-end connection requirement was a 28k modem, so it shouldn't rape your data. The bigger problem will be having an inconsistent connection of you travel through tunnels or something.

Tether your phone to a laptop and play XI on the laptop. It'd work out well enough for crafting and stuff.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 21:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The biggest issue with cellular internet is the latency and inconsistent connectivity, like Byrth said. The actual data load is minimal as can be.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-22 21:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the train have wifi? I'd try streaming to a mobile device from your home laptop.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 21:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface said: »
Does the train have wifi? I'd try streaming to a mobile device from your home laptop.

I do this with my tablet on occasion. It works well enough on your LAN, but over a WAN link it's pretty sketchy.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2015-09-22 21:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently played ffxi on 3g in the sticks with only two bars on verizon. estimated usage was 3-5MBs per hour. No latency issues but I wasnt moving so it was a solid connection. You will burn much more data while looking at a wiki while playing.

Edit: I was doing Sinister Reign and Assaults on 3g. had no problems, and no disconnects or R0.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-22 21:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »

I do this with my tablet on occasion. It works well enough on your LAN, but over a WAN link it's pretty sketchy.
it is definitely sketchy without a solid connection.
By Zululu 2015-09-22 21:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I played on 3g fine too with no noticeable usage. It is fine for crafting or other easy things; but I wouldn't recommend it for hard fights
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 21:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Anywhere where latency isn't a major issue. Routine stuff in FFXI is all fine and dandy, don't try to play a competitive shooter or something, though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-22 22:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

think about it this way: aren't they developing a mobile version(for some unknown reason)? it can obviously work over mobile networks.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 22:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

think about it this way: aren't they developing a mobile version(for some unknown reason)? it can obviously work over mobile networks.

You're assuming it's just a mobile port of FFXI. I'm expecting it to be a more turn based format set in the FFXI world. Probably allowing you to import your character on some level. Not that playing it on a mobile device as the current game wouldn't work, I just didn't get that impression from the way they announced it.