2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Thinking of coming back, but first
Thinking of coming back, but first
First Page 2
By maldini 2015-09-19 06:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all,
Been a year almost since I quit XI. Restarted XIV when HW came out. XIV HW, as expected, lasted about 2 months before we all got bored of it again.

So my questions are this:

1. Does WAR still pale in comparison to SAM?
2. Does DRK ever see the light of day?

Those were my two favorite jobs to play and I quit because they just weren't offered spots in anything end game anymore due to SAM and THF onry parties.

You might find it a bit HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE that I won't play the game if the jobs I find enjoyable don't have spots in group content. If that's the case, take a moment to rethink your stance. Its a game.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-09-19 06:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a good friend who's a mythic DRK and he's done pretty much anything on the game. That said, mythic helps, I guess. DRK recently got some form of boost for their absorbs, and Drain II's HP bonus was extended to 3min.

WAR... I miss WAR kicking *** like it was meant to. If you're good, and as a returnee you'd need some assistance with getting up to endgame level... You'd still have to convince a very closed minded playerbase that you can do your job and do it as well as other (*coughbandwagonbstcough*) jobs.

Now, if you found an open minded LS, I'm sure they'd find room for someone who truly loved the jobs.

If you rely on shout groups, I wouldn't bother. Most of them use a cookie-cutter setup for whatever they're attempting and suggesting the slightest deviation gets you branded as a heretic and told the dreaded <No thanks.>

If it were me, I'd give it a month's try. It's only $13; you'd spend about that on dinner out by yourself. You might find that you enjoy it again.

Good luck, whatever you decide. :D
[+]
By maldini 2015-09-19 10:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

cheers. thanks for the feedback.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-09-19 10:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Yes. SAM is better sustained DPS outside of Mighty Strikes and offers more utility with stuff like endless skillchains/huge multi-step SCs.
2. Not really. DRK isn't awful but the game isn't terribly melee-friendly these days with a lot of stuff, and the best melees are going to be DNC, BLU, SAM, and maybe even DRG rounding out that fourth slot?

Don't let that discourage you. Find a good LS and they'll let people come what they want often enough to make everyone happy. I think DRK is an iconic job and tremendous fun. I guarantee you'd have a blast gearing your DRK to the hilt.

And who knows, DRK and WAR may actually get a buff that makes them premier DDs again?
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-09-19 10:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, DRK is made of awesome.

Just have to remember, it isn't a real party until the drk dies.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-09-19 10:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
Hey, DRK is made of awesome.

Just have to remember, it isn't a real party until the drk dies.

I agree, DRK is awesome. I geared DRK on my mule last year and I didn't know what I had been missing :D

Just, good luck on getting into a PUG with it, for virtually anything :(
 Odin.Tsukiya
Server: Odin
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiya 2015-09-19 12:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Elazar1 said: »
How many of these forums do we have to have on here really, come or don't, end of story.

Threads, not forums. ;) I don't see anything wrong with these threads!! Everyone has their own set of questions and it isn't like the forums are overflowing with topics.
[+]
By maldini 2015-09-19 13:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Elazar1 said: »
How many of these forums do we have to have on here really, come or don't, end of story.
I came. Did you, sweety?
[+]
By Draylo 2015-09-19 13:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Just play it
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Tsukiya
Server: Odin
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiya 2015-09-20 11:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kilorilo said: »
maldini said: »
Those were my two favorite jobs to play and I quit because they just weren't offered spots in anything end game anymore due to SAM and THF onry parties.

You might find it a bit HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE that I won't play the game if the jobs I find enjoyable don't have spots in group content. If that's the case, take a moment to rethink your stance. Its a game

Well then you probably shouldn't come back because you'll never see DRK or WAR asked for outside of an all encompassing "DD" shout. You'll have to make your own groups, or play with a group that doesn't care about optimal setups.

On the upside Trusts can be called in a lot more areas than they used to and OP can probably solo a lot of stuff he might not have been able to before. Also I feel like these days a lot more people are open to "non cookie-cutter" set ups than before but maybe that's just my server.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-09-20 12:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How tough is adoulin missions with ilv119 gear?

I plan on coming back just to wrap up the story lines (like 90% done with WoTG so I'm def coming back to finish that for sure); barely started on Adoulin though.

I've no interest in trying to catch up with gear/grind new events/grind job points, etc. Just want to tie up some loose ends and wrap up the journey I started in '05
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-09-20 12:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
How tough is adoulin missions with ilv119 gear?

I plan on coming back just to wrap up the story lines (like 90% done with WoTG so I'm def coming back to finish that for sure); barely started on Adoulin though.

I've no interest in trying to catch up with gear/grind new events/grind job points, etc. Just want to tie up some loose ends and wrap up the journey I started in '05

SoA isn't too hard. And Woods bare in mind Most of our shell benefits from helping cause tasty tasty bayld.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-09-20 12:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll prob wait until November, so I can do it all in one payment period. instead of paying from now till that last update.

If I can convince Ghaleon to resub (his alt has my gil) you can have the rest of the gil i don't need to finish up the game
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-09-20 12:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
I'll prob wait until November, so I can do it all in one payment period. instead of paying from now till that last update.

If I can convince Ghaleon to resub (his alt has my gil) you can have the rest of the gil i don't need to finish up the game

yeah i feel ya. I'm more than happy to lend a helping hand when the time comes. ^^
[+]
By Draylo 2015-09-20 12:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

At that point why not just watch a youtube video? I would think most people would wanna have fun doing the content thru NOV with friends or making new friends and doing it. If you just wanna see the missions there are tons of videos on youtube.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-09-20 12:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't have a logical explanation for why, but I have to see it through my character's view point.

Seeing my name/character model there brings me that much more enjoyment

And I wouldn't mind doing content. Like if Shadow said hey Tiger, we need a 6th, want to come help us?

I'm down for that.

By grinding content, I meant I'm not going to be solo shouting for a silver sea remnants party to go 1/160 on Hikazau Hara-Ate again when the game is all but over
[+]
By missdivine 2015-09-20 13:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck with that. You'll feel lonely as soon you re-activate and find out that nobody play ffxi but hardcore players. Most content can be soloed with npcs (which is sad) but current endgame needs some people to get things done.

It may be difficult for you to find other players online that are not AFK, (because most servers are major ghost towns) I wouldn't bother paying 13$ Specially when patch 3.1 for ffxiv will get released very soon.
By Draylo 2015-09-20 13:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck with what? He already said he just plans on doing missions and his friend already offered to help and do stuff with him. You try really hard sometimes lol. Also patch 3.1 for FFXIV won't be out for over two months and if you think that airship content is gonna be the best thing ever you are dreaming.

missdivine said: »
I will probably re-sub after November/Major server merge, Just to enjoy the final storyline. Ffxi was so good @ Limbus and Abyssea era. But SoA just ruined everything, I'll be looking forward for the mobile version tho.

I guess it's worth to pay 13$ if you want to experience the final content for ffxi. I don't see any purpose paying any fee when they are done with RoV. Unless they low down the fee in order to keep a the servers running.
By missdivine 2015-09-20 13:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Good luck with what? He already said he just plans on doing missions and his friend already offered to help and do stuff with him. You try really hard sometimes lol. Also patch 3.1 for FFXIV won't be out for over two months and if you think that airship content is gonna be the best thing ever you are dreaming.

I will probably re-sub after November/Major server merge, Just to enjoy the final storyline. Ffxi was so good @ Limbus and Abyssea era. But SoA just ruined everything, I'll be looking forward for the mobile version tho.

I guess it's worth to pay 13$ if you want to experience the final content for ffxi. I don't see any purpose paying any fee when they are done with RoV. Unless they low down the fee in order to keep a the servers running.
Yes i MAYBE resub on nov, whats wrong with that? and i prolly stop playing as soon i realize that it didn't worth the money for rehashed content. Anything new for ffxiv will be better than ffxi content for sure. Not only lolairships. New dungeons and plenty of stuff are going to happen.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-09-20 13:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck with that. You'll feel lonely as soon you re-activate and find out that nobody play ffxi but hardcore players. Most content can be soloed with npcs (which is sad) but current endgame needs some people to get things done.

It may be difficult for you to find other players online that are not AFK, (because most servers are major ghost towns) I wouldn't bother paying 13$ Specially when patch 3.1 for ffxiv will get released very soon.

I'll be alright. My shell will help me with things here and there that i can't get done on my own. It's not like I deactivated in 2009. Unless they raised the ilv cap again, I should be fine. I have i119 gear current to delve II with top weapons (at the time anyways) for my job class.

and I tried xiv, didn't care for it (I liked the original game more than I did realm reborn)
[+]
By Draylo 2015-09-20 13:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with that, the point is you are being a hypocrite. Why has FFXI burned you so badly? You are so bitter and miserable. It's a video game dude, play it like any other one. 12.95 is nothing, incredibly cheap for the amount of entertainment you can get from it by playing FFXI. Yeah only lolairship and a repainted CT that people will get sick of doing after the first few times. "New" dungeons, the same "rehashed content" you bashed FFXI for. They will be sick of those after a couple times too as you spam them mindlessly for tokens with the exact same feel as every other dungeon.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-09-20 13:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
12.95 is nothing, incredibly cheap for the amount of entertainment you can get from it by playing FFXI.

The first summer off of school I owned this game, I spent $28 in a 3 month period. Most of that went to a new controller when I broke.

66.95 for what I consider to be the best summer vacation of my life. I literally played 14-18 hours a day from the first day of summer until school started again.
[+]
By missdivine 2015-09-20 13:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with that, the point is you are being a hypocrite. Why has FFXI burned you so badly? You are so bitter and miserable. It's a video game dude, play it like any other one. 12.95 is nothing, incredibly cheap for the amount of entertainment you can get from it by playing FFXI. Yeah only lolairship and a repainted CT that people will get sick of doing after the first few times.

Why your acting so hysterical again?, I didn't stated that i will 100% resub (which i prolly won't) I don't see any entertainment at all when i feel lonely playing with npcs on a MMO and literally begging for some social interaction until makes you quit. That's why nobody bothers to play ffxi anymore (and a huge list of reasons as well) because ffxiv is better and relevant, it made ffxi players rejoice new and fresh content that everyone has been crying for years. Get over with.
By Draylo 2015-09-20 13:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Get over what? I don't even play that game and I don't post on their forums with hateful comments. I think YOU need to get over FFXI and move on lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-09-20 13:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer 11 for gameplay, 14 for lewd screenshots
By missdivine 2015-09-20 13:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Get over what? I don't even play that game and I don't post on their forums with hateful comments. I think YOU need to get over FFXI and move on lol.
By Hannahmontana 2015-09-20 16:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I isnt a real party until someone is on the floor
First Page 2