Are Updates/adjustments Ending?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Are updates/adjustments ending?
Are updates/adjustments ending?
 Asura.Alexandero
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: jalexan4
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-09-02 14:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm unclear on what's actually going to happen in the years ahead. I know new content is over but will they continue to make job adjustments or patch bugs? If the last patch does something like the recent THF only era, will we all end up forever being THFs? (I'm not claiming I think it they were OP but it's how the community creates party expectations after these things).

So, if there are problems later with jobs needing adjustment (drk using a scythe for instance) will these become permanent problems.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-09-02 14:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

They've said balance changes and bugfixes will still happen, but no new major content (which people interpret in a lot of interesting ways, good and bad).

The tl,dr is really that whatever the world looks like in November, it's going to look that way until the servers go away.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2015-09-02 14:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure they'll only stop adding cutscenes and any content that would require the full PS2 devkit. Anything scripted like QoL and minor content will still be done.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-09-02 14:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
They've said balance changes and bugfixes will still happen, but no new major content (which people interpret in a lot of interesting ways, good and bad).

The tl,dr is really that whatever the world looks like in November, it's going to look that way until the servers go away.

Lol, did you just tl;dr a single sentence with a single sentence?

I should have said bottom line, like you did, but screw it, I'm owning it now.

YES I DID SINCE PEOPLE SKIP TO THE END ANYWAY
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 14:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said:
Yes, it's worth it
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-02 14:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

We'll most likely be seeing new Unity fights, probably more high-tiers, and I'd love to see more characters added to Reign. If they do a set of characters for each expansion, it would be a very easy way to extend the life of SR. I'd also just absolutely love the chance to murder Naja for hours on end.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-02 14:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
I'd also just absolutely love the chance to murder Naja for hours on end.

[+]'s all day.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-09-02 14:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
We'll most likely be seeing new Unity fights, probably more high-tiers, and I'd love to see more characters added to Reign. If they do a set of characters for each expansion, it would be a very easy way to extend the life of SR. I'd also just absolutely love the chance to murder Naja for hours on end.

I really hate to claim credit for SR, but I swear on my Galka grave that I absolutely suggested something similar to SR back when ToAH came out. I specifically remember it because when there was much speculation what "The Pit" and "The Coliseum" was, I said it was SE's battle arena like FF7, except via 1 on 1s. I have long begged for this kind of content for forever (and nobody will ever believe I actually did think this up, but I did), and I'm glad its here.

And yes, if they really wanted to go out with a bang, they could really wrap up the RoV storyline by making the Coliseum, Diorama Ballista, Watery Cave etc Battle Arenas where you can go back and fight your favorite NPCs, Maat style. 1v1 would be neat too, but party is also the easiest way to keep people entertained. They could end up bundling this entire event into one big finale, that would really give some of the story lovers some content and enjoyment for a while to come.

They'd have to include every relevant NPC, would could take some serious time, though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-09-02 15:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
I'm pretty sure they'll only stop adding cutscenes and any content that would require the full PS2 devkit. Anything scripted like QoL and minor content will still be done.

No.

Expectations lead to disappointment. Let it go, guys. They said they're done with the game in terms of content, so stop grasping.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-09-02 15:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

No.

Expectations lead to disappointment. Let it go, guys. They said they're done with the game in terms of content, so stop grasping.

Maybe you should read up:

Quote:
(0:15:46~)
Q: Why are you ending major version updates?

A: Considering that we would like everyone to continue playing the game as long as possible, we have to adopt the aforementioned plan to reduce spending. We would also like our development staff to focus on new projects, and in order to continue running the game with a compact team, we have no choice but to stop major version updates.

(0:17:07~)
Q: After stopping major version updates, besides bug fixes and balance adjustments, will you continue to implement new content, features, spells, and such?
A: Essentially what we will be doing is data adjustments. Adding new content, for example Dynamis II or such, would be difficult. However, it's possible to make additions that do not rely on development tools. We have yet to specifically decide on what we will be doing in terms of updates, but we are thinking about easing and eliminating restrictions for content that is limited by congestion countermeasures. Additionally, we are planning to fix bugs and make balance adjustments based on player feedback. Instead of focusing resources towards the addition of new content, we will be focusing all our power on making current content easier to get into. We’d like to create a world that players will be able to return to any time.

SOURCE - Freshly Picked Vana'diel 17
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-09-02 15:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

No.

Maybe you should read up:

Quote:
(0:15:46~)
Q: Why are you ending major version updates?

A: Considering that we would like everyone to continue playing the game as long as possible, we have to adopt the aforementioned plan to reduce spending. We would also like our development staff to focus on new projects, and in order to continue running the game with a compact team, we have no choice but to stop major version updates.

(0:17:07~)
Q: After stopping major version updates, besides bug fixes and balance adjustments, will you continue to implement new content, features, spells, and such?
A: Essentially what we will be doing is data adjustments. Adding new content, for example Dynamis II or such, would be difficult. However, it's possible to make additions that do not rely on development tools. We have yet to specifically decide on what we will be doing in terms of updates, but we are thinking about easing and eliminating restrictions for content that is limited by congestion countermeasures. Additionally, we are planning to fix bugs and make balance adjustments based on player feedback. Instead of focusing resources towards the addition of new content, we will be focusing all our power on making current content easier to get into. We’d like to create a world that players will be able to return to any time.

SOURCE - Freshly Picked Vana'diel 17

What is it you're trying to prove here, exactly?

You even bolded the part where they specifically state they won't be putting resources into new content.

I mean, case in point right there, chief.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-09-02 15:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It reads very differently if you do a paragraph break right before the "We have yet to decide..." and that might be the right way to interpret it, considering they've accomplished many/all of their stated goals in that paragraph in the last few updates.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-09-02 16:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I was more referring to Oraen's comment here:

Quote:
Anything scripted like QoL and minor content will still be done.

It sounds like there's ambiguity on both sides of the argument, though. I don't think the answer is as dogmatic as either of us seem to make it out to be. None of us know exactly to what degree the game will change (or stay the same) after November. The Devs themselves even stated they don't really know to what extent their "updates" will be. They actually didn't rule out the possibility of updating content or introducing new content (they just focused attention elsewhere).

Similar to how Delve went to 6man with adjustments, its still within the realm of possibility for them to make some changes to the game's content without a full team. Its stated in their quote. Even still, they are moving into the direction of the team focusing on improving current content, and stated that "new content...like Dynamis II would be difficult". Can read into it however you like, but we don't really have a full answer yet.

That doesn't mean they will or won't implement new content, they simply changed the topic to what they would be focusing on. They kind of answered the question by not answering the question directly.