New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLU expectations 2015
BLU expectations 2015
First Page 2
By FarelTheGecko 2015-08-31 02:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently partied and did incredibly poorly. My setup (BLU/RDM) is mostly done for soloing Dynamis and stuff. I'm told that BLU is the most flexible job in the game, but ........ I have no real idea how to bend the job to suit other roles.

I mean clearly a BLU would never be used as a tank, so at best I could be a DPS or Healer job, and then.... which sub would be the best? Which spells are best used? What equipment should I switch to?

I'm sorry, but I just feel so embarassed standing next to a BRD with a dozen macros, switching his gear constantly to be perfectly optimized while I wear a brown moo-moo (yeah it's the wayfarer attire...)
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-08-31 03:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU absolutely is the most flexible job in the game. You have access to a staggering amount of spells and can pick and choose which you set at your leisure. Not only does this allow you to choose the type of spells you want to use, but also the traits you want as well.

BLU is actually an exceptional tank. We have access to the largest array of hate-generating tools in the game, as well as some of the most absurdly powerful defensive abilities.

Honestly, it sounds as if gear improvement should be your first priority. Find a group for Yorcia Alluvion as a "booker" and try to pick up a full set of Taeon, Helios, and Telchine equipment.

There's a large guide concerning BLU, its roles, equipment, spells, traits, and close to everything you can think of on this forum. I'd suggest you check that out and, if you have questions, asking in that thread, as it's an active guide and people respond regularly.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/30626/the-beast-within-a-guide-to-blue-mage/
[+]
By Voren 2015-08-31 03:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You got /rdm for general soloing which is actually, imo, beaten by using /sch. /sch has support spells used while in Light Arts, sublimation for getting 300+MP back without using refresh, and drain/aspir while under Dark Arts. Welcome to vampire mage.

You'd be better off using /dnc for Dynamis for faster procing, spectral jig, TP cures and heals (silence sucks), and an added 5% haste from samba. /dnc also has an eva bonus.

/war for DPSing if you have enough support from BRD and healer. If no support, you'd probably still /war so you can DPS like a beast.
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2015-08-31 04:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Use this site to help you farm the spells referenced in the BLU mage guide. Note the newer elemental spells from Yorcia Skirmish are not included.

http://184.154.208.218/~tforum/blu/BLUMain.html
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By FarelTheGecko 2015-09-03 03:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That wayfarer outfit is my curse. Just now I showed up to some Yorcia weald event, only to get stared at for that outfit, and then told that I'm not good enough.

I realize the outfit stinks, but it's all I've got now.

I was told previously "You're an Elvaan. Be a WHM, you'll always have invites then!", but as long as I wear that, nobody will invite me, but investing into a pro WHM gear and scrolls is not something I'm passionate about, so I probably should just pep up my BLU, BUT WAIT! What if I spend a ton of effort on some superb 119 gear, only to then be told that it's not the best and I'll go no invites anyway?

.... so I'm lost. Then again even if I wore the right gear, I probably wouldn't be playing the right way anyway...
By geigei 2015-09-03 03:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You should just quit if getting decent gear iz too hard for you.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2015-09-03 05:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

FarelTheGecko said: »
That wayfarer outfit is my curse. Just now I showed up to some Yorcia weald event, only to get stared at for that outfit, and then told that I'm not good enough.

I realize the outfit stinks, but it's all I've got now.

I was told previously "You're an Elvaan. Be a WHM, you'll always have invites then!", but as long as I wear that, nobody will invite me, but investing into a pro WHM gear and scrolls is not something I'm passionate about, so I probably should just pep up my BLU, BUT WAIT! What if I spend a ton of effort on some superb 119 gear, only to then be told that it's not the best and I'll go no invites anyway?

.... so I'm lost. Then again even if I wore the right gear, I probably wouldn't be playing the right way anyway...

You were trying to do a Yorcia Delve event, when you're not even in average 119 gear, much less optimized 119 gear. While there's certainly content you don't need to be perfect for, you're still in the very early stages of endgame, of which Yorcia Delve is not.

The comment about Elvaan and WHM made was simply because we needed a WHM at the time. You don't need to level a WHM, although it is one of the easiest ways to gear up a job (as the requirements of a WHM for a lot of content is simply to show up and know how to play, you need to get closer to current endgame to require a lot of gear).

Read what the guides here have posted, when it comes to gearing up, macros, learn gearswap, etc. And get into content at a reasonable pace. You can't just jump into hard content with anything, if you ever played WoW, what you did earlier was the equal of jumping into the 2nd tier of raiding in greens.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-03 06:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

He said some Yorcia Weald event, that could really mean anything - Delve 2.0, Old Skirmish, New Skirmish, Field NMs, Yorcia WKR - and more than likely it was Alluvian Skirmish Yorcia because that's the only event that BLU would be shouted for or accepted unless you're decently well known.

Wherein lies the conundrum, you'd need good gear to get the good gear you need... Or! Buy a couple of 1/1/1 pops and learn how to do the book. Then you can set up your own shouts, and there are a lot of people who would help you get that gear. Most times the gear is floored and people spam for the stones these days.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-09-03 06:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You can perform well enough in yorcia skirmish/alluvion with a mix of low~mid tier stuff (sparks, cheap~ish AH stuff etc.)

A quick set I brought together:
ItemSet 337597

Some similarly easy alternatives for those above are; 109 version of the head obviously, ombre tathlum, moldavite earring (if you already have one lying around), wayfarer robe, toro cape, aswang sash (worse and more pricy but might be easier to find one), augury cuisses. You can probably solo old yorcia skirmish for the hagondes pieces and throw some cheap stones at it to try your luck.

For hands, empy hands 109 is an easy and cheap upgrade if you can get some help for a single isgebind heart. For body, there is alway Wayfarer but you can probably solo hagondes pieces easily (with some luck).

All in all, if you want easier access to end game content for your wins, a support job (WHM being the easiest to get into) is your best bet like other people have already mentioned.

If you expect to get invited on BLU by shout groups, you will be disappointed regardless of how good your BLU may be. Other than Yorcia Alluvion, there isn't enough demand for a BLU (excluding CPing) and in case of an event LS, your gear will most likely be expected to be much better anyway for being allowed to play BLU where it fits. I would say don't worry too much about it, focus on improving step by step and start working on a support job as well.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-09-03 06:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not convinced by your description of BLU tanking:
Quote:
Some Barrier Tusk, Cocoon, Magic Barrier spam, /NIN, and White Wind with a good DPS output and PDT/MDT macro and you can tank better than anyone else in that fight. It is rather challenging if the mob is not at least slowed though as Fenrir has low attack delay.
Sounds like BLU is good at pulling hate but not necessarily great at tanking, it could do a job and far be it from me to suggest BLU should outperform a primarily tank job in PLD but all round damage mitigation even if enmity generation isn't quite as good, PLD always wins.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-03 06:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a feeling that the two posters were involved in the same event, so it would be completely justified to not include a sparks BLU in a delve 2.0 run. If it was Yorcia Alluvion, then gear sure doesn't matter for someone to run the book, so I wouldn't understand being removed from that.

Farel, if you're confused on the mechanics and playstyle of BLU, I highly suggest reading the guide. Prothescar has written an excellent introduction to the job, and the guide has been helpful to many people, not least of all myself. I was completely clueless on the intricacies of the job before I really sat down and read the guide, talked with others, and studied our abilities. BLU is a difficult job to get into because of the extra amount of work you need to invest.

I mean nothing against other DD jobs, but it's not something like MNK or WAR where a lot of the knowledge of the job comes to an understanding of simply what your job abilities do. BLU is a complex beast (pun intended) and requires the time to familiarize yourself with it. I'll be honest and say that it sounds as if you've already defeated yourself. You can't allow that to happen. Take the time to learn any job you want to play, not just BLU, and you'll enjoy the game far more.

Come by the guide thread and I promise that everybody involved will be ready to help out.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-03 06:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I'm not convinced by your description of BLU tanking:
Quote:
Some Barrier Tusk, Cocoon, Magic Barrier spam, /NIN, and White Wind with a good DPS output and PDT/MDT macro and you can tank better than anyone else in that fight. It is rather challenging if the mob is not at least slowed though as Fenrir has low attack delay.
Sounds like BLU is good at pulling hate but not necessarily great at tanking, it could do a job and far be it from me to suggest BLU should outperform a primarily tank job in PLD but all round damage mitigation even if enmity generation isn't quite as good, PLD always wins.

No, not much will ever match PLD in terms of pure damage mitigation. However, BLU offers massively more utility and customization. And, to be honest, with JTB2, we can get pretty damn close to a PLD's defenses, although we will never have an Ochain or Aegis. We work exceptionally well as hybrid tanks, capable of dealing far more damage and holding threat far easier than a PLD, but for out-and-out pure tanking, PLD will always hold that niche. The job was designed fully to be a tank, and we just can't compete with that.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2015-09-03 07:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
He said some Yorcia Weald event, that could really mean anything - Delve 2.0, Old Skirmish, New Skirmish, Field NMs, Yorcia WKR - and more than likely it was Alluvian Skirmish Yorcia because that's the only event that BLU would be shouted for or accepted unless you're decently well known.

Wherein lies the conundrum, you'd need good gear to get the good gear you need... Or! Buy a couple of 1/1/1 pops and learn how to do the book. Then you can set up your own shouts, and there are a lot of people who would help you get that gear. Most times the gear is floored and people spam for the stones these days.

No, it was Yorcia Delve. I was in the group and I'm the one who spoke up by saying "You realize you are quite undergeared for this, right?" at which point OP fairly swiftly moved to leave the group.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-09-03 08:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

No, it was Yorcia Delve. I was in the group and I'm the one who spoke up by saying "You realize you are quite undergeared for this, right?" at which point OP fairly swiftly moved to leave the group.

I'm interested to know if you guys needed a BLU for that run or was it just a general role you needed like DD, healer, etc. And if it was BLU you needed specifically, what were you needing one for? I am genuinely curious about this because I don't normally see BLUs needed for Yorcia...
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-03 09:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You're such a BLU hater LoH!
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-09-03 10:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

LoH was one of the most beloved players on Shiva, lay off.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-03 11:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Relax, I'm just joking with him! >.>
 Shiva.Chumm
Server: Shiva
user: ithorien
By Shiva.Chumm 2015-09-03 13:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

OP don't feel bad, BLU is a very difficult first job to learn since it relies on being able to sometimes be a blm, sometimes a tank, sometimes a melee DD, sometimes a healer. Players who have played all of those roles, and done so in this game specifically, are the ones that excel at BLU. A BLU that is unsure of what spells to set/cast, and what gear to wear, will underperform way more than most other jobs, because all the other jobs at least have their traits and abilities set for them automatically.

The best thing for you to do is practice playing solo with trusts while adopting each of these roles. Equip clubs and magical spells and magic attack bonus traits and play it as a black mage; equip all passive melee damage traits and two swords and espial gear and play it like a melee; equip defensive spells and high enmity spells and try to hold hate from your trusts (ok this is probably too easy, but also try to survive hard stuff).

Of course to be able to do any of the above, you've got to learn your spells. While you could take a shortcut and just learn the spells you see in guides, most of them have some use and the process of traveling around seeing damn near every TP move in the game while trying to learn them can by quite an education.

The trouble with partying in ffxi is the game is so old and solo friendly you're expected to already be experienced and meet a certain gear threshold on your job before you start playing with other people. Yes exceptions can be made and most content isn't so hard that everyone needs to be 100%, but it's not an unreasonable expectation given the state of the game. Stick with it and get to that level and I think you'll find the job very rewarding.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-09-03 13:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Orlind said: »

I'm interested to know if you guys needed a BLU for that run or was it just a general role you needed like DD, healer, etc. And if it was BLU you needed specifically, what were you needing one for? I am genuinely curious about this because I don't normally see BLUs needed for Yorcia...

BLU does really well in Yorcia. Pretty much everything there get's it *** whooped by slashing damage, and ontop of that you can magic burst them' self lights if you are inclined to deal stupid amounts of damage.
By FarelTheGecko 2015-09-03 13:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ladyofhonor... "because we needed"... you were in that party today?! Oh my, I ...... I'm still sorry about that. I fully admit that I am a n00b. I left the game back in the Aht Uhrgan era. Now I'm back after many years, forgot a lot of how to properly play, and most certainly never was in those post level 75 areas.

Adoulin is still a complete mystery to me. There's so many new events, and whenever I mention not knowing what its about, people stare at me, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world..... which it probably is. I am really dumb.

Yeah, yeah, I have a very pesimistic outlook on myself, that goes for any single thing I do or aspect of my personality. I hate my guts.

Well, I guess I'll try reading that guide. Maybe that'll be of some help...
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-03 13:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
You're such a BLU hater LoH!

I have never had anyone destroy my BLU in a parse the way she did last night on Fenrir three times. BLU hater indeed.

He can attest to some THF, GEO, RDM, WHM, COR, BRD Tojil runs where he laid serious smack down on everything's face.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-09-03 13:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU's just one of the best DDs for Yorcia. I wouldn't say it's particularly needed, but you could say that about a lot of job requirements for content.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2015-09-03 16:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need a BLU specifically, but the boss is VERY anti-piercing and takes bonus slashing damage. So generally you focus on the best slashing DD's, of which BLU is currently leading the pack. Although people generally go with SAM purely because that's what used to be done all the time and they don't know how to adapt to the times.

Shiva.Francisco said: »
LoH was one of the most beloved players on Shiva, lay off.

Joke of the day right here.

FarelTheGecko said: »
Ladyofhonor... "because we needed"... you were in that party today?! Oh my, I ...... I'm still sorry about that. I fully admit that I am a n00b. I left the game back in the Aht Uhrgan era. Now I'm back after many years, forgot a lot of how to properly play, and most certainly never was in those post level 75 areas.

Adoulin is still a complete mystery to me. There's so many new events, and whenever I mention not knowing what its about, people stare at me, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world..... which it probably is. I am really dumb.

Yeah, yeah, I have a very pesimistic outlook on myself, that goes for any single thing I do or aspect of my personality. I hate my guts.

Well, I guess I'll try reading that guide. Maybe that'll be of some help...

My alt character needs plasm to finish Idris, so I was the GEO in that group who said something to you.

It's fine to be having troubles right now. You're in a tough time of the game where people are "finished" a lot of the gearing up content that you really need to "access" the rest of the game. Listen to the advice of other people here for how to go about gearing up. And knowing how to play is also a very key part of things. If you're doing a good job, despite having gear, people will be more willing to help you out. So simply looking at the guides and learning the job can go a long way.

Post deleted by User.
By FarelTheGecko 2015-09-05 02:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll try to remember that, thanks guys
 Asura.Yunamae
By Asura.Yunamae 2015-09-05 02:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

HeHe hi ya

i will always be anoob till the day i leave the game. I love blu with all my heart. In my opinion if you love it to, do as they say look through the main blue guide,but i would look at getting all/most spells at the same time you will get alot of practice on blue. Having all/most spells will give you a massive amount of different traits you can set. Also if you dont have em get your af hands even the baseones help with learning spells.

Next yes if you want try play inthe higher content you will need sort a good base set at least like mentioned above, ignore the haters no offence this is game i play cos i love it not because i have to have the newest thing out......zzzz boring lol..any questions pm me im a noob blu ,me gear aint thebest but i love the job :D
By FarelTheGecko 2015-09-12 03:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I do now only really lack the Fire spells for that Adoulin elemental, plus most of those Unbridled Learning spells, I also have the Reforged AF (level 119) for Body and Hands, aside from that I have the Taeon set.

All of that strengthened me immensly. The only real problem is the role. People talk about /RDM being only good for soloing, but being able to revive allies did me a lot of good during Alluvion... Hmmm
First Page 2