Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » One-hander and shield
One-hander and shield
 Asura.Alexandero
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: jalexan4
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-08-30 09:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So my friend and I were screwing around last night. I needed a break from spamming bio at a reive so we decided to break out our wars to see what the commotion on the war forum is about (the fencer thread). Apparently, non-mythic wars are better off using one handers (savage blade and calamity ws's).

Well, we went to escha zitah and started killing things. My friend is a sam, after his 3rd consistent 8.5k savage we both agreed our main jobs (sam and drk) were kind of embarrassed. So I decided later after he logged to unlock savage blade and see how this would work for drk.

The only issue I see is acc problems but with augs I think we can push it up high enough to work in high end content, although you may be sacrificing da/ta/qa or stp. Obviously we would sub war for fencer trait. Any of you number geniuses know if this is viable until they fix our two handers? Should we use axe or sword? Really had no idea these things were this powerful. Ive been mowing through tarichucks in escha-zitah using the sword of trials...

If the wars are shifting to them, maybe we should look into it. With lr up we go batsh*t crazy with a one hander. Just looking for educated guesses.
By Nyruul 2015-08-30 09:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

First, I'm not one of those math whizzes but..

Warrior gets fencer trait 5 at lvl 97, which is TP bonus 500 and crit 9%(Vorpal Blade is also very nice for WAR).

With Moonshade earring(TP bonus) you have combined TP bonus 750 which means at 1.25k TP you have 10.25 fTP on Savage blade(Gaining an extra 1k TP will only increase fTP by 3.5).

One thing to mention for DRK is it is also included on Blurred Shield NQ/+1

I don't think DRK can compare to WAR here. A DRK/WAR would have Fencer 1, 200 tp bonus. ftr

DRK only has 10 less sword skill than WAR at cap.

Obviously there's more to consider.

Edit: Also with Job points WAR gets an additional 160 more tp Bonus to fencer trait.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-08-30 11:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

When they changed LR did they make it effect one handers as well as desperate blows before that was 2 handers only?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-08-30 11:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's still just for 2-handers. Single wielding a sword or axe on DRK would not work very well. If anything, dual wielding swords and using Vorpal Blade would be better- but it'd still be worse than DRK's more traditional options and have terrible skillchain options.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-08-30 12:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought so but dual wielding would defeat the purpose of going /war for fencer.
 Siren.Flannelman
By Siren.Flannelman 2015-08-30 12:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont forget Blurred Shield +1 can be used by DRK and gives Fencer
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2015-08-30 12:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The purpose of going /WAR for fencer is hoping for better DPS. It fails at that, and /NIN with swords just happens to fail less.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-08-30 12:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Never change, Dark Knights.

Never change.
 Odin.Jimkun
Server: Odin
By Odin.Jimkun 2015-08-30 13:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

One handers with a shield I have found to be mainly a war main thing. With the amount of fencer you can get from job traits, job points, and then 119 empy+1 legs (forget blurred +1 unless you have more of your soul to sell for the asking prices of those), this is indeed a very viable option. However, dual-wielding for high amounts of weaponskill damage is tough. Single hand is where it is at especially when using the Sangarius+1.

When using axes, things get a lil muddier. Having a skirmish axe with atk/acc, DA/WS+, and QA can open things up for calamity. While fencer does bring in higher ws numbers, if you were to dual up axes with any of the combination previously stated, the numbers over time can essentially equal out.

On a side note, has anyone tried out cloudsplitter recently with the new fencer boosting gear/job gifts? I find it to be amazing when a mob has normal magic def or is weak to thunder. I currently have a set with 124mab, 13m.damage, and +17% ws damage so far and that is without a founder's set or the rairin obi+sch's thunderstorm2 ability(obi is +25% thunder damage in double thunder weather). Subbing sam I was getting with sekkanoki, 3.5k -> 7.5k -> 13k darkness in approximate damage output whereas normal tp moves are in the 6-8k range without warcry's tp boost.
For wars that have a warcry gear set, 100tp essentially = 200tp and can thus pull off 6k-10k ws easily based on your gear and the mob you are fighting.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-30 14:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Won't work for DRK. DRK doesn't have enough fencer to make the TP Bonus thing work for them. 8.5K isn't anything special, I was hitting 10~15K as a WAR main with 550 Job Trait. And Axe, while having weaker WS does have better SC properties.

The /NIN for spamming vorpal or rampage isn't a bad idea though I've never personally did this. Vorpal can get 7.875 fTP with 60% STR WSC, Rampage can get 7.2 fTP with 50% STR. Neither SC though and I think spamming Reso / Torc would be a better option, or doing a multi-step with Scyth.

Quote:
On a side note, has anyone tried out cloudsplitter recently with the new fencer boosting gear/job gifts?

I do for WAR, it's pretty vicious. Around 6.25 ~ 6.5 fTP with 40% STR / MND and being magic. It will do less then Mistral / Savage but it makes Darkness with itself and Light with Mistral. If your in a setup with a GEO who's doing Maliase + Accumen or Focus, then your Cloudsplitters will do silly damage and the GEO can MB on your darkness's for even sillier damage.

Here is a breakdown for WAR and Fencer
Trait 500 TP Bonus 9% Crit
Gift +100 TP Bonus
Emp +2 Legs = +100 TP Bonus (CS is better with MAB legs)
Moon Shade = +250
Total = +950

Then at 980 Gift you get another +60 TP Bonus for 1010 Total.

Warcry gives another +700 TP Bonus that stacks with all the above, so yeah 1710 TP Bonus on Savage, Mistral or 1610 on Cloud Splitter is pretty silly.

And DRK/WAR would only get
Trait = +200 Tp Bonus +5% Crit
Moon Shade = +250

Total = +450

That is why it's not so hot on DRK.
 Asura.Alexandero
user: jalexan4
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-08-30 21:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotcha, makes sense. Back to TC spam then and hoping for a final update on... the final update. :(