users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Video editing software
Video editing software
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 12:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

does anyone know any good, simple, free video editing software? Preferably something that can use mp4 format as that what my phone camera seems to use. - The only thing i have is the old Windows Movie Maker that came with. But it doesn't support mp4 format. so atm im trying to convert what i have to mp2 (something it does support.) But the first 5 min clip is taking like 30+ min to convert.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2015-08-28 12:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Try handbrake, perhaps?
https://handbrake.fr/

I've been doing YouTube for awhile and I've only heard of people using Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere. Of those only WMM is free. Hopefully handbrake will meet your needs.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 12:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

while doing everything i saw Handbreak in my start menu and was wondering what the hell it was (i forgot). But i had enough stuff going on that i didnt bother to click on it to see what the heck it was.

Maybe thats what i was trying to use to reduce file size of a different video a while back.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 12:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said: »
I've been doing YouTube for awhile and I've only heard of people using Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere.

Was curious at that statement so i went looking around a bit. Looks like they have a separate version for windows 7 and 8 (2012). Where as mine is copyrighted from 2007 for win xp. Maybe the newer version for newer comps can support the mp4 format. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

edit: ^ windows movie maker that is
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 12:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hands down the best video editing software I've used is Adobe Premier, but I've heard good things about Sony Vegas. I've never used a free/cheap program, though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2015-08-28 12:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I throw my hat into the Adobe After Effects ring.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2015-08-28 12:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

When I used Windows Movie Maker back a few years ago (Windows 7 version), I was only able to produce avi files. I'm not sure if they've added mp4 support since.
By Zululu 2015-08-28 12:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ffmpeg command line software that is extremely powerful.

Vlc is gui and user friendly
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-08-28 12:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Have only ever really used Sony Vegas. It has some issues with CUDA and can take some time to render depending on what format you're going for, but it's easy to use and has a nice array of features.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 12:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

well today i was just looking to do something that should have been ultra simple. I have three clips i wanted to join together into one clip. Maybe a transitional effect between them. But that was it. But i guess even thats more involved when you dont have proper format support. - But even down the line in a few months i wasnt planning on looking at all to much. Basic editing; cutting clips, moving them around, putting a few together. Transitional effects, Adding a separate image on to the screen in the corner so a viewer could see whats being talked about. That kinda stuff.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2015-08-28 13:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You can get the basic version of Sony Vegas called Movie Studio for under $40USD. I'd recommend it as I've created probably 500+ videos using this software. It will do everything you're looking for.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-28 13:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sony Vegas is a powerful tool, I definitely recommend it.

If you definitely want something free though, one (slightly dated) program you could try is VirtualDub. It has a very raw interface, and you'd need to install plugins in order to work with MP4 video.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 13:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

well digiarty program finished converting. 9 min total in video, took like 2 hours /grin hopefully that will work in Win med player.
When i get a new comp, ill look into sony veges and adobe.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 15:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

my vids worked fine. Converted to mpg vid worked fine, but when i loaded it into windows media maker i got this

Trying to save it anyway. Well see how it turns out. But im guessing it wont be well.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-08-28 15:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Sony Vegas 12 myself.
(yo)
As well as After effects for basic schtuff.

;D
By brahmdut 2015-08-28 15:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to use NCH http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/ you can get a free version or demo it for about a month to use the full version.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-28 15:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
my vids worked fine. Converted to mpg vid worked fine, but when i loaded it into windows media maker i got this

Trying to save it anyway. Well see how it turns out. But im guessing it wont be well.

Looks like there could be a codec missing.

I just did a quick google search, and it seems that Windows Media Maker on Windows 8 doesn't have all of the codecs installed that were included on Windows 7, as a number of people have complained of having issues handling mpg files. If you're using Windows 8, that's most likely the problem.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 15:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »

Looks like there could be a codec missing.

I just did a quick google search, and it seems that Windows Media Maker on Windows 8 doesn't have all of the codecs installed that were included on Windows 7, as a number of people have complained of having issues handling mpg files. If you're using Windows 8, that's most likely the problem.
heh.. xp

probably a good reason why iv had so many issues lately. But i got to get new place and medical issues in order before getting new comp. So gotta deal with what i have for now.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-28 15:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I found an old post dating back to 2004 (possibly XP?) where someone was having trouble with MPG videos in Windows Media Maker, where the audio was fine but video was screwed up. Their solution was to drop the video into the storyboard instead of the timeline. They were then able to go into the timeline view and continue editing.

(I'm grasping at straws here lol)
By missdivine 2015-08-28 15:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Use sony vegas or sony movie studio, is user friendly. Adobe premier is top of the line video editor but its very expensive. Unless you know how to download torrents?.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 15:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I found an old post dating back to 2004 (possibly XP?) where someone was having trouble with MPG videos in Windows Media Maker, where the audio was fine but video was screwed up. Their solution was to drop the video into the storyboard instead of the timeline. They were then able to go into the timeline view and continue editing.

(I'm grasping at straws here lol)

well that is the issue. I can hear the audio fine, but the video looks like that picture. The part i find more interesting is that it might be an issue with WMP rather then the video. Cause played normally, the converted video plays just fine. - Once its done saving this movie, ill give what you posted a try tho.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 16:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

video finished. it looks just as screwed up as in that picture. Draging the video to the storyboard didnt seem to help any either. Its all screwed up. Guess ill just have to post three separate vids for now :/
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-08-28 16:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The free version of Lightworks is pretty capable, if you're still looking for something to use. Limited to 720p MP4 for exports, but that's generally fine. You could always use Handbrake to transcode it after if you need to.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-28 17:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

im trying lightworks. I got the videos all onto the time line but how the heck do i turn it all into one single video? Im not seeing any option
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-29 15:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

through trial and error and long *** waiting times, i finally figured it out. Got all the pieces together and on a single video in mp4 format. Only thing im not sure about was i managed to lose about the first 5 seconds off my final video. Not sure if something got messed up or if i did that and didnt notice.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-08-29 15:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If you had an Apple, you would have access to iMovie.

Join the collective.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-29 16:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
If you had an Apple, you would have access to iMovie.

Join the collective.

necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [67 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-04 22:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Iv been using lightworks for a little while. Exported a few movies successfully. But today i seem to keep getting an error message any time i try to do the actual export of the video i make.

Guessing the obvious; an issue between that and my graphics card. But any idea why this has suddenly started outa no where?