Ever Buy Canned Tuna Fish?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ever buy canned tuna fish?
Ever buy canned tuna fish?
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-27 16:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

StarKist settles canned tuna lawsuit; consumers can get $25 or $50 in fish
Cleavland Plain Dealer

Quote:
If you bought a can of StarKist tuna in recent years, you may have netted less fish than promised.

Thanks to a recent legal settlement, you can convert that tiny loss into a small fortune in tuna. Though StarKist Co. denies any wrongdoing, it settled the suit by offering to pay consumers either $25 in cash or $50 in fish.

The settlement applies to customers who bought even one 5-ounce can of chunk light or solid white tuna, in oil or in water, between Feb. 19, 2009 and Oct. 31, 2014. Recognizing that most people would not keep tuna receipts for more than five years, the settlement allows for a kind of honor-system filing, via the Web site tunalawsuit.com.

Filing a false claim would be perjury. All claims must be filed by Nov. 20. According to the lawsuit, the federal government sets standards for how much of various kinds of tuna must be contained in a "5-ounce" can.

The plaintiff in the lawsuit, Patrick Hendricks, of Oakland, California, had samples tested to see whether they met that standard.

For Chunk Light Tuna in Water, the standard is 2.84 ounces of pressed cake tuna. StarKist provided an average of only 2.34 ounces, the suit says. That's a difference of only half an ounce, but it's 17.3 percent below the legal standard.

For solid white tuna in water, there was a 6.83 percent shortfall; for solid white tuna in oil there was a 3.7 percent shortfall; and for chunk light tuna in vegetable oil the shortfall was 1.1 percent, the suit alleged.
You can tune a piano but apparently it is improper to tune a fish.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-27 16:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Clickbait title.

Need to change it.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-27 16:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Title's fine. The pun is permaban bait.
[+]
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2015-08-27 16:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Can married couples both file a claim if they both individually bought the product during the appropriate time? Or is this sort of thing one per household?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 22:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for sharing this! I'm gonna apply for fish to the tune of 50$!
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-28 22:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Clickbait title.

Need to change it.
What's wrong with the title "Ever buy canned tuna fish?"
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-29 12:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Clickbait title.

Need to change it.
What's wrong with the title "Ever buy canned tuna fish?"
Acording to King all of my titles are clickbait.
[+]
 Odin.Tsukiya
Server: Odin
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiya 2015-08-29 13:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a really ridiculous settlement....you can claim without a receipt. Of course normal people wouldn't keep several year old receipts, but the threat of "perjury" which has ZERO percent chance of being found out (seriously how is anyone going to prove that a person didn't buy tuna fish somewhere in the US at some point within the past 5 years, even if you were allergic you could've bought it for someone else...in some random convenience store off the beaten road) is pointless. I foresee billions of false claims.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-08-29 14:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like $25 for claiming to have bought a can of tuna, or $50 worth of tuna (like 20 cans?) is a bit excessive, but hey.
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-08-29 14:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I feel like $25 for claiming to have bought a can of tuna, or $50 worth of tuna (like 20 cans?) is a bit excessive, but hey.
They are trying to stop people from digging so they don't find out tuna really isn't the chicken of the sea!
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-29 14:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I buy A LOT of their canned tuna, so for me this is hardly a compensation, but it's better than nothing.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-08-29 16:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Clickbait title.

Need to change it.

Personally the only time I get tuna is if it is sushi.

The exception being if I am on the road or something Tuna can be mixed in tomato sauce over pasta. Instead of just pasta and sauce. Makes it more nutritious and filling.

heh, there's a pretty substantial difference between Albacore canned Tuna and, say, Yellowfin Ahi Tuna.
By Nyruul 2015-08-29 16:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised this hasn't made it's way here yet. No you didn't btw.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-08-29 17:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tsukiya said: »
This is a really ridiculous settlement....you can claim without a receipt. Of course normal people wouldn't keep several year old receipts, but the threat of "perjury" which has ZERO percent chance of being found out (seriously how is anyone going to prove that a person didn't buy tuna fish somewhere in the US at some point within the past 5 years, even if you were allergic you could've bought it for someone else...in some random convenience store off the beaten road) is pointless. I foresee billions of false claims.
I don't think that many people care to file it and wait 6 months. If they do, the settlement is capped at $8M, so people will just receive a lesser share.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-29 18:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind waiting 6 months for 50$ (or less) in fish coupons.
and if we're allowed to buy any fish product of theirs with the coupons I plan to upgrade to salmon :3
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-29 19:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

and if we're allowed to buy any fish product of theirs with the coupons I plan to upgrade to salmon :3
Its probably going to be in the format of a handful of coupons giving $X off Y number of cans of product.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-29 23:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Its probably going to be in the format of a handful of coupons giving $X off Y number of cans of product.
I'm OK with this! I actually call the number on food product packaging quite often to give them feedback being it good or bad and often times get those kinds of coupons sent to me as a result.