Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » I need help with my 99 BLU
I need help with my 99 BLU
By FarelTheGecko 2015-08-03 12:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I'm currently a level 99 BLU, and I'm trying to find my place. Got all spells until Orcish Counterstance (98).

I figured I could use some better gear, but all the means to get them are so tough... For now I figured I'd try assembling the Mirage Attire set, because I could upgrade it into something better (I don't know, I get confused).

I found some guide about using Aoe spells, and it helped me with Dynamis, but at some point I always die.... basic strategy is:
Aquaveil > Chain Affinity > Efflux => Whirl of Rage > Dream Flower
> Burst Affinity > Charged Whisker > Benthic Typhoon

It works well, but at some point when I get into a huge crowd of mobs, it's not good enough!

Then again maybe this isn't even worth it? I can't decide what outfit set I should get!
Assimilator's Attire Set?
Luhlaza Attire Set?
Hashishin Attire Set?

And no matter what I'd go for, I'd need to farm Rem's Tales, and so far I've just tried doing 1 fight, Brothers D'Aurphe II, and got whacked hard! Sure I picked normal, but I got crushed so badly! I don't even get it! So many people talk about soloing these fights with Trusts, but I could not summon any trust there! What's going on?!

.... basically, I'm badly confused, I know I'm doing poorly, but can't tell why, so I ask for guidance! Here's some info on my recent BLU/RDM build for AoEing Dynamis:
ItemSet 336691
By Zyla 2015-08-03 13:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

your best bet for the moment would be to join a alluvion skirmish group for yorica and work on getting a set of taeon and helios armors. those will offer you the biggest gear boost at the quickest rate for the moment, after that you can single out specific pieces of gear to work into specific sets. you'll need to augment them of course but you'll be getting stones for that while doing skirmish as well.

as for the r/m/e 119 armors i'd look through them and pick which ones you need for specific gear sets, not all of them will be worth getting based on your playstyle as that differs from person to person. the hashishin set is going to require vagary boss wins, for which blu needs to be quite well geared to participate in, you may need to play another job to get wins there if your blu isn't up to par.

another thing that could help you is getting a buramenk'ah from tojil, it's an easy sword to get now and would be a large dps boost from the eminent sword, the 115 sword from achuka with acc and oat augments would make for a suitable off hand sword as well. you'll want clubs for magic based aoe spells for cleaving, but will need other MAB gear (helios set) to supplement those spells as well.

another thing to work on would be to get the new adoulin spells (all spells really), and would make this a bit of a priority. some of the new spells from SoA are gamebreakers for blu like subduction or just useful in general due to their effects and traits they offer.

hope this helps.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-08-03 13:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

When you first enter a BCNM you have to wait roughly 60 seconds before being able to call trust.

Incase you haven't checked, the Blue Mage Guide is a great place to start for gear ideas and spellsets.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-08-03 14:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you setting up spells/traits and gear towards a specific purpose, or is that a full-time set?

Setting all that up right is a huge part of why BLU can be so strong. As of yet, you're missing some of the staple spells - some may prove difficult to learn until you're set up better, but others (like Erratic Flutter and Subduction) you could go learn from relatively low level mobs.

The JSE armors all have good to great pieces in them, but I'd think that ease of upgrading is a factor. To that end, honestly, Mirage pieces wouldn't be the first thing I'd go for - 109'ing Relic takes a bit more than AF, and the items to 119 it are a good bit more expensive as well.

As mentioned, Alluvion Yorcia is a great way to get in on 119 gear that'll last you. It does need to be augmented to really stand out, and that can get to be a long and/or expensive process - but most of it will be an upgrade for you even at base. I would at least try to flesh out your spell list a little more first though.

If you wound up with some Lebondopt Wings from the Adoulin dial last month, you could look at trading those in on some i113 Skirmish gear as well. The red mog pell will also give you options for wings (Mellidopt are for Alluvion items), but that might not be the best use of it for you.

Something you might look at in the meantime is pushing out into Reives to build up your Bayld, and checking out what the Peacekeeper's Coalition has available. You can get a second i117 sword and wand (which have great latents in Rieves), along with some solid up/side grades to your Spark armor. Shneddick +1 body for melee/WS, tights +1 for nuking, that kind of thing.

If you haven't really done much of that, I'd say to start with learning spells, and making a point to run around the Adoulin areas. Go to every zone, get all the waypoints, get the quest/KIs done so you can do reives and do those (set the RoE for them, they've got a first-time completion bonus that boosts Capacity Points gained). Practically every new mob type you run into will have a spell to learn, plus you'll be better prepared for doing Adoulin content (like Skirmish) and getting JPs (which are -huge- for BLU). You need to do a decent number of Coalition Assignments to progress much in missions (and be able to do Wildskeeper Reives), so setting those would be good too.

Also, the higher level area reives have a chance to drop JSE capes, and Cornflower Cape is pretty great (you can trade in 3 for one you want if you don't happen to get the BLU one).
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-03 15:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
When you first enter a BCNM you have to wait roughly 60 seconds before being able to call trust.

Incase you haven't checked, the Blue Mage Guide is a great place to start for gear ideas and spellsets.

I haven't encountered any delay in calling trusts when entering a BCNM.

The only delay I'm aware of (where trusts are concerned) is that you cannot call trusts for 2 minutes after forming a party with another player.
 Sylph.Staleyx
Server: Sylph
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2015-08-04 08:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I found some guide about using Aoe spells, and it helped me with Dynamis, but at some point I always die.... basic strategy is:
Aquaveil > Chain Affinity > Efflux => Whirl of Rage > Dream Flower
> Burst Affinity > Charged Whisker > Benthic Typhoon

Why are you trying to aoe burn in dynamis? Is this some new way of farming other then going dnc or thf that I'm not aware of? I've always had magic procs happen less then ja procs.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-08-04 09:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Staleyx said: »
Why are you trying to aoe burn in dynamis? Is this some new way of farming other then going dnc or thf that I'm not aware of? I've always had magic procs happen less then ja procs.

He did mentioned farming Relic gear, which procs don't do anything for.
 Asura.Yunamae
By Asura.Yunamae 2015-08-05 02:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi ya as a fellow blu i would say first and foremost get the spells if you cant or dont want get em all send me a tell ingame and il tell u ones i always use and are key for certain job traits. Once you have decent spells and traits set etc i wouldnt recommend aoe stuff in dyna myself not sure your reason unless u not worried about procing and just want drop relic bits, but still bit risky to be overwhelmed if not got couple sleep spells set lol.
Gear wise im abit nooby there lolz i do have relic and af 119 and started emp but i have not had time to do all adoulin stuff and escha which i do know has alot good stuff.
I have alot rl agro so i do what i can when i can lolz. I have never been in a mass hurry as i love blue and il get there lol. So gear if u have a good ls get ur arse in adoulin and escha stuff if not it really depends what u gonna be using blue for, for what gear/sets u need lol...
By FarelTheGecko 2015-08-07 23:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I am very grateful for all the great advise. I will try my best to get all the spells first, and then I'll go for the rest!

LS... uh, I'm stuck with 2. One is the Reddit LS, which is so crowded that it hardly functions, and the other one is just me and 2 other people, which is too small for anything really
 Asura.Heeroyuy
By Asura.Heeroyuy 2015-08-08 00:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What's your play schedule like? I'd be more than happy to run you thru a few yorcia alluvion if we're on at the same time
By FarelTheGecko 2015-08-11 10:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, I'd actually be very glad to do that.

To be honest now during summer, any time between
7 am till 10 pm (GMT) would be fine, but some arranding would still be nice.