FFXI on Windows 10
First Page 2 3 4
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-07-25 13:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I can now upgrade to windows 10 but I am debating if should or not does anyone know if FFXI will still work with windows 10?
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-07-29 19:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

bump
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-29 19:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Functionally, anything that works on Windows 8.1 should work fine on 10. I was able to run FFXI with Windower on one of the developer previews, but I don't have an active character to test it on 10166 release.

Edit: Just a head's up, you can revert after the update if you wish, it's an actual option in the Control Panel. Or, you could just make a system image backup before the update and revert.
 Cerberus.Diavolo
Server: Cerberus
user: Diavolo
By Cerberus.Diavolo 2015-07-29 20:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI initially worked fine for me after the update to Win 10. When loading it up for the first time via Windower4 it encountered an error and Win 10 quickly resolved it, which caught me a bit offguard. Then I logged off, tampered with a few setings in other areas of Win 10/apps and ran into a problem when trying to log back into FFXI - Windower always crashes with FFXI sometimes telling me Direct3D failed to initialize. I can run the game just fine without Windower, but I don't have much interest in playing without it.
By bitchtits 2015-07-29 22:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you open internet explorer before launching FFXI, it will launch correctly. I forget what the issue was, but the same thing used to happen when windows 7 first launched. Just keep IE open until the game is up and running.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-29 23:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

bitchtits said: »
If you open internet explorer before launching FFXI, it will launch correctly. I forget what the issue was, but the same thing used to happen when windows 7 first launched. Just keep IE open until the game is up and running.

No IE on Windows 10.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
Server: Gilgamesh
user: leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2015-07-30 00:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have upgraded to Windows 10 on my Surface Pro and my Dell Vostro laptop, FFXI works just fine on both of them! /cheer
 Cerberus.Diavolo
Server: Cerberus
user: Diavolo
By Cerberus.Diavolo 2015-07-30 01:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As silly as that sounded I gave it a try with both Edge and IE (had carried over all my apps and files to Win 10), but no dice. It's driving me insane trying to pinpoint what could have changed since the install that could have caused this. At least Ashita is working for me.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-30 01:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

But, the question is, does Windower work just fine with them?
 Asura.Suteru
Server: Asura
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2015-07-30 07:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I crashed on my first launch, but tried again and it works fine.
By bitchtits 2015-07-30 08:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Y
Odin.Jassik said: »

No IE on Windows 10.

Yes there is. Just click start and type "internet explorer". They kept if for legacy app support, but it's not listed in applications.
 Valefor.Yoloswag
Server: Valefor
user: volkom
By Valefor.Yoloswag 2015-07-30 08:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

that name...
 Asura.Rinuko
Server: Asura
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-07-30 08:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

IE is "hidden" within Win10. But yeah Edge is supposed to replace it, but it also kinda meh browser unless you're on tablet.
Still prefer Chrome myself.
[+]
By bitchtits 2015-07-30 09:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Edge is a cool browser, but bookmark management sucks and it needs extensions to compete with chrome. Until it has proper ad blocking, script blocking etc., it's a no go for me.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-30 09:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Y

No IE on Windows 10.

Yes there is. Just click start and type "internet explorer". They kept if for legacy app support, but it's not listed in applications.

I'm pretty sure that it won't be there with a clean install, it's just leftover from before the update.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-30 09:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

No. It is there on a clean install.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-30 10:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Anyone else experiencing slower boot times with windows 10?

On SSD my Win7 took 8-10 seconds to boot, I upgraded to windows 10 and now it takes 30~ seconds.
Fresh or update?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-07-30 10:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

On SSD my Win7 took 8-10 seconds to boot, I upgraded to windows 10 and now it takes 30~ seconds.

No. I just did a fresh Win10 install. My machine takes about 5-10 seconds to boot as well (on 8). 10 is the same.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-30 11:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I don't have it on actual hardware yet and haven't tested the differences, I've never liked updating an OS, but I'm particular.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-30 12:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

So, according to technet, if there is an existing version of IE it is retained, on a clean install it puts IE11. I'm still not sure how having IE open would effect direct 3d, unless you have it disabled by default.

Yeah, I don't have it on actual hardware yet and haven't tested the differences, I've never liked updating an OS, but I'm particular.

You can download the ISO from Microsoft but you will need a product key unless you perform the update first and then do a clean install. It generates the product key from the upgrade. After you do the upgrade then the clean install, you can skip the key step.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-30 12:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fresh or update?

Update.

Even with the update, mine starts just as fast. If it's a laptop, you may need to reinstall your device specific software. Things like synaptics touchpad gestures don't seem to survive the update.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-30 12:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So, according to technet, if there is an existing version of IE it is retained, on a clean install it puts IE11. I'm still not sure how having IE open would effect direct 3d, unless you have it disabled by default.

You can download the ISO from Microsoft but you will need a product key unless you perform the update first and then do a clean install. It generates the product key from the upgrade. After you do the upgrade then the clean install, you can skip the key step.

Process I'm working on right now to get a key. Kinda wish I had copied my old 8 keys down too, then I'd have 2 more good keys.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-30 13:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Process I'm working on right now to get a key. Kinda wish I had copied my old 8 keys down too, then I'd have 2 more good keys.

I'm still waiting for my license for 10 pro. I'm not sure if the update will consist of the pro stuff or if I will have to wait for a physical media. But I get my licenses through a share, only my laptop is a license I bought.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-30 13:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use the download tool to get the media itself, it lets you download a few versions just not the enterprise.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-30 14:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use the download tool to get the media itself, it lets you download a few versions just not the enterprise.

Right, but I don't see anything in the update that says 8.1 pro upgrades to 10 pro, only that 8.1 pro is eligible for the upgrade. I need the remote management and hyper-v tools specific to pro, so I'm waiting to for the physical media I get through the share license program.

I also no longer see any legacy version of directx on my 10 upgraded laptop, only dx11, so that might be a source of issues for ffxi players.
First Page 2 3 4