:)
 Ramuh.Rikapi
Premium
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Rikapi
By Ramuh.Rikapi 2008-01-28 22:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

(Hmm... one post disappeared into dev/null... strange... here goes again....)

I was merely giving the JP users a heads-up; I was NOT asking for an anonymous-friendly board to be recreated. (Though I like how everything fits in with this forum, I will have to admit that the JP users' post rate will be unbelievably low, as they latch onto and never let go of online anonymity which they call "privacy"...)
If I had wanted an anon-friendly board, I would have already written so in English on the Suggestions forum ;)

Here, let me type up what I meant in the original Japanese post in my own English words...

-----------------
This forum apparently was developed independently by the FFXIAH admin squad.
(They said that it was simple on purpose, and plan to upgrade in the future with various features!)

Right now, this forum has limitations - you must be logged in as a registered user, and you must have at least one character verified in order to post.
Since you can choose which character (of all characters you have already verified) to post as, if you're one to say that you want to post here but you don't want to show off who your main character is, it might be a good idea to verify one of your mules before you make that post.

For now, please post bug reports to the Bugs forum, and requests and wishes to the Suggestions forum.
-----------------
 Odin.Katoke
Server: Odin
user: Katoke
By Odin.Katoke 2008-01-30 09:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think these measures were in response to the attacks on the other bbs from the Chinese gil sellers/hackers.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-02-09 15:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

These boards were home-grown and written by Matt after we discovered that Chinese RMT were attempting to hack user accounts through exploits in phpBB and other generally available board software. Even with our own forums, however, leaving the boards open to anonymous posts would still allow RMT to post links to sites containing malicious code, phishing sites, etc. (A la what happened to many FF wiki sites.) As an added measure of protection for our users, we therefore have made it so only registered and verified characters can post on the boards.

Yes, it's a hassle, but that's the point. It ensures that someone posting on the boards as a particular character is, in fact, that character in-game. As RMT have the bad habit of getting continually banned, going through the hassle of registering an FFXIAH.com account and verifying a character is hopefully too much for them. And if they do try any shenanigans, we can use our data to publicly kick them in the shins.

The problem, however, is Japanese users. Japanese users have grown up using JP style message boards, which typically employ flat-form, non-threaded layouts, and also allow anonymous posts. Many Japanese users do not like to have to register to state their opinion about something, as anonymous contribution has become a backbone of JP internet culture. We are unsure how to cater to both these users, as well as maintain a secure site that can be trusted to keep our users' info safe. One idea that's been suggested is to still require a verified account and character, but give posters the option of hiding their character info from other users on the right side of each post.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1112 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Maxse
Server: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-02-25 12:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi
[+]
Server: Titan
user: batboy267