windows 8 and ffxi
First Page 2
 Fenrir.Acey
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: abyssal
By Fenrir.Acey 2015-07-16 13:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

why is it so hard to get ffxi on a windows 8 OS?
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 13:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not.

edit: need to enable directplay if you haven't.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 14:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people early on in windows 8's history had trouble with some games because they didn't enable direct play or had bad drivers and the reputation has continued way too long. 8.1 is every bit as compatible as 7 and very nearly as compatible as XP. 10 will be similar to 8.1 in terms of compatibility, possibly better depending on whether they allow apps to run in virtual environments.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
8.1 is every bit as compatible as 7
Wholly incorrect.
By geigei 2015-07-16 14:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried running ffxi on 8 when it came out, no can do, no problem whatsoever now.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 14:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Wholly incorrect.

Unless you're trying to play battle chess or some atari title from the early 90's, 8.1 does literally everything that 7 does with the myriad of legacy drivers and emulators available for free. It's a little more work, of course, but it will do it.
By volkom 2015-07-16 14:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

have XI installed via steam then use windower to play. even have a xbox360 gamepad working with it
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Wholly incorrect.

Unless you're trying to play battle chess or some atari title from the early 90's, 8.1 does literally everything that 7 does with the myriad of legacy drivers and emulators available for free. It's a little more work, of course, but it will do it.
If you think so snowflake.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
have XI installed via steam then use windower to play. even have a xbox360 gamepad working with it
eww.
By volkom 2015-07-16 14:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

eww.
don't eww me. Its so nice and convenient to slouch in my chair and lay my legs across my desk and play. I can also stand up and walk around the room and play. Or even if i angle my monitor just right. i can play from the bathroom
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 14:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Wholly incorrect.

I've been able to play every single game I've ever attempted to play from newer titles to things like the original warcraft and diablo and never had to do more than download a legacy version of directX or nvidia driver. Please name something that you can play on 7 that you can't on 8.1 if you're so adamant about it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

eww.
don't eww me. Its so nice and convenient to slouch in my chair and lay my legs across my desk and play. I can also stand up and walk around the room and play. Or even if i angle my monitor just right. i can play from the bathroom
Oh I wasn't talking about the controller sir.
By volkom 2015-07-16 14:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

eww.
what then D: ? steam or windower?
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-07-16 14:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

xbox360 gamepad

Eww. DualShock3 is the way to go.
By volkom 2015-07-16 14:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
xbox360 gamepad

i like my 360 controller D:
.__.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 14:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

eww.

Steam installs are notoriously messy, and the launcher is crap. I'd rather launch games from the nvidia app personally.

xbox360 gamepad

What drivers do you use? I haven't been able to find a working setup besides motionjoy and I hate adware.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-07-16 14:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

What drivers do you use? I haven't been able to find a working setup besides motionjoy and I hate adware.

MotionNJoy, sadly. I don't like it at all, but it's what works, and I will never give up my sweet sweet DS3.

And yeah, Steam installs have been historically awful, no idea if that's still true.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 14:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

MotionNJoy, sadly. I don't like it at all, but it's what works, and I will never give up my sweet sweet DS3.

And yeah, Steam installs have been historically awful, no idea if that's still true.

As long as you are comfortable with your OS and locate the steam folder on a data partition, they're manageable, but definitely not ideal.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Wholly incorrect.

I've been able to play every single game I've ever attempted to play from newer titles to things like the original warcraft and diablo and never had to do more than download a legacy version of directX or nvidia driver. Please name something that you can play on 7 that you can't on 8.1 if you're so adamant about it.

For starters? The crapshoot windower issue.

Plus doing all sorts of patches isn't much of a great solution.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 14:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Wholly incorrect.

Which windower issue? I ran multiple instances, Ashita, and Windower -Dev without a single issue.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

eww.
XI+steam :P

There are ways to make motionnjoy "offline" but there's alternatives.

had to dig around to find it, but read this thread:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44293/ps3-controller-driver-ffxi/

also you could just use a ps4 controller.

As for the 360 wireless controller, found a link to a win7 version of the driver:

http://lavendy.net/special/driver/x360wc/index.html
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Which windower issue? I ran multiple instances, Ashita, and Windower -Dev without a single issue.

The one where some people can't use windower.

As far as I recall it is still unresolved/unisolated aside from Windows 8.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-16 14:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Wholly incorrect.

A lot of people have a multitude of issues. Basically, the game crashes at the blue screen. Some people say a complete reinstall of Windows 8 fixes it, while others say turning off UAC works, and others say turning off Win8 secure boot works. I spoke with several of the devs, and none of them can get the issues to replicate, so they havent been able to fix it.

Here are three threads on the issue, from various sites, spanning the past two years.
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/39510/windower-4-not-working-on-windows-8-64bit/
https://github.com/Windower/Issues/issues/173
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/31bexh/getting_ffxi_with_windower_to_work_on_windows_8/
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 14:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So, 8.1 isn't compatible because "some people" couldn't use windower at some point, although it may or may not have been resolved... Ok
By Jetackuu 2015-07-16 14:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So, 8.1 isn't compatible because "some people" couldn't use windower at some point, although it may or may not have been resolved... Ok
yes.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-16 14:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That would be the definition of Windower 4 not working with Win 8/8.1. A fair number of people have issues of the game crashing when it switches from the POL screen to FFXI. The issue/issues have not been discovered, so it remains unresolved. Some have found various work-arounds, but they don't work for everyone.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-16 15:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

That would be the definition of Windower 4 not working with Win 8/8.1. A fair number of people have issues of the game crashing when it switches from the POL screen to FFXI. The issue/issues have not been discovered, so it remains unresolved. Some have found various work-arounds, but they don't work for everyone .

The cause is the aspect ratio changing or the wrong version of directx for every single person I've helped resolve it. Sometimes you will have to edit the registry to allow ffxi to run at your screens native resolution or use a bordered window. Both are simple and well known issues.
 Sylph.Namonaki
Server: Sylph
user: Namonaki
By Sylph.Namonaki 2015-07-22 03:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a check list to run on possibilities to fix this?

I'm trying to help my friend get back and it's being a pain in the ***. He can run vanilla POL just fine but when he's at the character select screen running Windower, it will crash. Has DirectX 11, has Win 8 and I think we did the screen resolution thing...he manually clicks 'Run as Admin', UAC is off/turned down...only thing we haven't done was turn of 'secure boot'. I can't do it in person so they didn't feel comfortable trying it...is there anything else before I attempt a walk thru of that?
 Asura.Rinuko
Server: Asura
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-07-22 04:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone tried XI with Windows 10?
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-07-22 06:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rinuko said: »
Anyone tried XI with Windows 10?

Not personally, but a friend of mine has been using the Windows 10 preview with it for months (with some issues, mostly resolved at this point I think). If you have specific questions I can probably send him your way.
First Page 2