Remember The Days In FFXI When..

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Remember the days in FFXI when..
Remember the days in FFXI when..
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-07-07 17:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

75 days were amazing.

Sorry some of you couldn't cut it.

Long live 75 days!
By Draylo 2015-07-07 17:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god another nostalgia goggles thread. Don't miss the 75 days at all.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-07 17:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pintseyes said: »
I guess we all have a different experience in game. Back during 75 content we needed a party, you NEEDED that lonely DRG who was the only one to respond to your shout.

I personally never felt so arrogant that if we had to MAKE DUE that I was carrying anyone. That is a World of Warcrap analogy that doesn't belong in FFXI. Likewise that is where the challenge has went, apparently SE loaned it to some other company.

We don't need a party to do much of anything anymore. Now a days to make due means you did not get your "steam roll" setup of six that has a 100% win rate no matter if everyone shows up naked, so the party is called off and the event doesn't happen.

By the way, the above and everything I said is all opinion based, there is nothing to argue about, I'm not trying to change the world one opinion at a time. Please don't argue =\

No you didn't need that DRG. The extra load on the healer would of been a far greater burden then if you had just left them out. This is the reason we've been going towards less and less support intensive front line melees and more support jobs until we get to the point of five players supporting one melee who is steam rolling everything far more efficiently then three melee could. And yes we did that back at 75, I remember being part of the groups that would go WAR/MNK/SAM/NIN x 2 + WHM BRD COR RDM to destroy virtually everything. Could even drop the second DD to fit in another BRD, now adays you'd just use a GEO.

You are stating the same thing that gets stated every year for the past seven or eight years using the exact same arguments in an attempt to get other people to agree with how miserable you feel. When CoP came out, you guys argued that it made the game easier since those zones were better for XP. When ToAU came out you argued that the game was easier since players didn't have to "learn their jobs" cause killing pink birds was too easy. WoTG was the only expansion that didn't have a wave of people moaning about "easy mode FFXI", and well that's because that expansion didn't do much of anything. Then Abyssea happened and damn if you didn't moan some more. Leveling in a party of six killing the same stupid mobs for hours on end just to gain a level was no longer needed. Abyssea NM's were actually harder then previous ones, but few of you bothered experiencing it until after the third pack, where you got so ridiculously overpowered that you were killing NM's under your level. Getting proc readings, third atma slot, 200K brews and infinite RR wasn't possible until after the third expansion.

Anyhow your just crying into your beer while looking on the past with rose tinted glass's wishing for a return to your own ignorance to make everything look better. It's no different then old folk talking about "those were the days..." as though problems didn't exist in their youth.
[+]
 Asura.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Asura.Kenrusai 2015-07-07 17:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Insults me, and spews mostly nonsense.

And here I thought I was the e-thug, apparently.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-07 17:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

And that problem taken care of.
 Bismarck.Lizk
Server: Bismarck
user: alucar
By Bismarck.Lizk 2015-07-07 17:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

Remember when draylo used to be a good player and people cared about him?

Yeah, me neither.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2015-07-07 18:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
No you didn't need that DRG. The extra load on the healer would of been a far greater burden then if you had just left them out. This is the reason we've been going towards less and less support intensive front line melees and more support jobs until we get to the point of five players supporting one melee who is steam rolling everything far more efficiently then three melee could. And yes we did that back at 75, I remember being part of the groups that would go WAR/MNK/SAM/NIN x 2 + WHM BRD COR RDM to destroy virtually everything. Could even drop the second DD to fit in another BRD, now adays you'd just use a GEO.

You are stating the same thing that gets stated every year for the past seven or eight years using the exact same arguments in an attempt to get other people to agree with how miserable you feel. When CoP came out, you guys argued that it made the game easier since those zones were better for XP. When ToAU came out you argued that the game was easier since players didn't have to "learn their jobs" cause killing pink birds was too easy. WoTG was the only expansion that didn't have a wave of people moaning about "easy mode FFXI", and well that's because that expansion didn't do much of anything. Then Abyssea happened and damn if you didn't moan some more. Leveling in a party of six killing the same stupid mobs for hours on end just to gain a level was no longer needed. Abyssea NM's were actually harder then previous ones, but few of you bothered experiencing it until after the third pack, where you got so ridiculously overpowered that you were killing NM's under your level. Getting proc readings, third atma slot, 200K brews and infinite RR wasn't possible until after the third expansion.

Anyhow your just crying into your beer while looking on the past with rose tinted glass's wishing for a return to your own ignorance to make everything look better. It's no different then old folk talking about "those were the days..." as though problems didn't exist in their youth.
The more I read from you, the more you come accross as ignorant and arrogant yourself.

You may have your own experiences but you also try to project those on everyone else and make them out to be what this game is/was about.

You, clearly, can't put yourself into other people's shoes or accept different points of view/experiences.
You should, probably, stick to just stating that what you're referring to is what you experienced.

Is flying to the moon (or other planets) hard?
No it isn't.
It only depends on some "ifs" and when those are in place, it's "facerolling".
Can everyone do it though?
No.
Think about that, if you can.

Saying the game was never hard, is true, for a certain set of variables.
Which doesn't make it true in general.

From what it sounds like, you don't give the impression that you ever had to work for much in this game and truely enjoy things being even more attainable nowadays.
Put in the least effort for obtaining everything.
It's efficient and desirable, to some degree, I give you that.
But, personally, I do not enjoy getting things the easy way.
I don't even feel like I deserve things or appreciate getting them, if it was too easy.

But then again, everyone is different in that.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-07 18:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that's a whole lot of post-modern nonsense. "If I feel its true then it must be true" is ***. I don't care about your feelings, you are just a random anonymous internet person. This game doesn't have the mechanics to create true skill based difficulty. It was/is a clone of Everquest which itself didn't have anything outside of dice roll difficulty, at least not when FFXI copied it. It's all stat A vs stat B with an occasional gimmick thrown in that amplifies the results of the roll. If something seemed difficult, it was only because you lacked the proper stats, lacked the knowledge of which stats to focus on or lacked the knowledge of how to exploit the AI. Once those are remedied then it becomes cake, and then you complain about it being easy.

Here, I'll give you a "difficult" challenge. Go fight T3 escha Behemoth as the following.

PLD WHM BRD melee x 3.

If that's too easy, then fight the Ape or Whale using that setup. Should be plenty of "difficulty" to go around.
 Asura.Kenrusai
By Asura.Kenrusai 2015-07-07 18:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

From what it sounds like he sounds like that guy who was in that Linkshell who stared at many purple enemies :>
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2015-07-07 18:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that's a whole lot of post-modern nonsense. "If I feel its true then it must be true" is ***. I don't care about your feelings, you are just a random anonymous internet person. This game doesn't have the mechanics to create true skill based difficulty. It was/is a clone of Everquest which itself didn't have anything outside of dice roll difficulty, at least not when FFXI copied it. It's all stat A vs stat B with an occasional gimmick thrown in that amplifies the results of the roll. If something seemed difficult, it was only because you lacked the proper stats, lacked the knowledge of which stats to focus on or lacked the knowledge of how to exploit the AI. Once those are remedied then it becomes cake, and then you complain about it being easy.

Here, I'll give you a "difficult" challenge. Go fight T3 escha Behemoth as the following.

PLD WHM BRD melee x 3.

If that's too easy, then fight the Ape or Whale using that setup. Should be plenty of "difficulty" to go around.
Ignoring everything I stated and still hammering the same things over and over.

If certain conditions are met, yes, things are easy.
We all get the concept of that, I believe.
If you have millions, it's no problem to buy several houses and whatnot all over the world.
Makes the whole life easy for everyone, correct?
No.

So please get over yourself and learn how to see things outside of your own little unicorn world, where everything is perfect, apparently.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-07-07 18:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lizk said: »
Draylo said: »

Remember when draylo used to be a good player and people cared about him?

Yeah, me neither.

Remember when lizk used to be a good player and people cared about him?

Yeah, me neither.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-07 18:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Grandthief said: »

"These HNM are cake guys, we only had 6 relics present"
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2015-07-07 18:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I skimmed over a bit of the thread, but I am mostly agreeing with Saevel here. The game was hard LARGELY because we didn't understand mechanics, and we didn't utilize them properly. There was ABSOLUTELY a large divide in the community between the groups that actively worked towards understanding those mechanics, and the group that didn't. This was effectively BlueGartr vs Allakhazam here.

As someone mentioned earlier asking if there was anyone 6-manning big NM's, I'm pretty sure BG or a BG-level LS did exactly that at times. Now obviously they've have brought along more people as time went on, as there was no reason not to, but they could hold Tiamat and slowly DD him with a 6-man crew. PLD/WHM/RDM/BRD could hold it, and then two SMN to DD it, boom, 6-man Tiamat. The only reason you couldn't do this with Vrtra or Jorm would have been the adds, for the most part at least.

You can still get some of the old feels of "difficulty", just go into delve with 3x melee DD and lol at how "hard" it is. And then drop one of those melee for another support job and lol at how much easier the content is.

Here's how I played at 75 cap:
TP set
WS set

Here's how I play at current cap:
Multiattack TP set
Acc TP set
Fast cast set
PDT set
MDT set
Max dmg WS set (for each WS)
Max acc WS set (for each WS)
Regen/+movement idle set

Our knowledge of the game (and our ability to react to it) has greatly changed and that effects the game itself and how we perceive it. Back when I played on my old server, in the earlier days of Yorcia delve, we could go in with 9-12 people and we might manage a win, or we might wipe. I remember kiting Wopket for 5min while the alliance recovers on my GEO, and then managing the win just in the nick of time. And then just the other day I dualboxed COR+GEO with an LS WHM and LS BLU and cleared Yorcia delve in 15 minutes start to finish. How you approach this game has an extremely significant effect on how hard it comes across, and these days our standard party make up addresses the easier way to clear content above just throwing any certain bodies at it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-07 18:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
There was ABSOLUTELY a large divide in the community between the groups that actively worked towards understanding those mechanics, and the group that didn't. This was effectively BlueGartr vs Allakhazam here.

Shh don't tell them that or they'll get angry at you and form a lynch mob.

FFXIAH has largely become the new Allakhazam.

Quote:
Not even a pdt set or mdt set or evasion set? You sound like a ballsy 75 lol

Merman set/Avalon breastplate
Dark steel set saved my life many times

Used darksteel for my WAR, RDM and SAM. I've always been a believer of everyone, especially melees, having a "ohh ***, ohh god please don't die, please don't die" set to put on. Makes a huge world of difference when the melee's know when to turtle up.

Then again Byakko could just do a 2600 Razor fang to your face cause SE broke the game.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-07 18:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
PLD/WHM/RDM/BRD could hold it, and then two SMN to DD it, boom, 6-man Tiamat.

-With luck on adds, a single RDM/NIN could hold Tiamat for days.
-Two SMN was not sufficient DMG for Tiamat due to her auto-regen, and if they were, as unlikely as that is, that fight would go on so long you'd probably end up dying to something anyway.
-If that single tanker isn't at least an Aegis PLD, you're gonna have problems,

Here's how I played at 75 cap:
TP set
WS set

Even with limited mechanic knowledge, PDT, MDT, and accuracy sets, in addition to general TP and WS sets, were a thing. As well as Fire Resist sets, and other misc things.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-07 18:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Grandthief said: »

PLD WHM BRD melee x 3.

Ignoring everything I stated and still hammering the same things over and over.

We all get the concept of that, I believe.
If you have millions, it's no problem to buy several houses and whatnot all over the world.
Makes the whole life easy for everyone, correct?
No.

So please get over yourself and learn how to see things outside of your own little unicorn world, where everything is perfect, apparently.

That's more nonsense.

When it rains, it's wet, but since it's not wet when it doesn't rain should we conclude that the wetness experienced during the rain was subjective and didn't actually happen? No that would be stupid. You haven't said anything of substance.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2015-07-07 18:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Even with limited mechanic knowledge, PDT, MDT, and accuracy sets, in addition to general TP and WS sets, were a thing. As well as Fire Resist sets, and other misc things.

Yes, the point was what I used then vs what I use now. And I imagine most players had no pdt/mdt sets back in the day (I only heard about DT sets for NIN's with the Arhat's set). Whereas now DT sets are considered "necessary". This goes to support my statement that the game has fundamentally changed to better deal with the game. And if our knowledge of play were put back into the base game, it would be no more difficult. More tedious for certain, but not more difficult.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-07 19:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Whereas now DT sets are considered "necessary"

They're considered necessary because, as opposed to the limitations of 75-cap, they're now so widely accessible. And being so widely accessible, the strength of the enemies is made in mind of that, thus making it a necessity.

You didn't simply and suddenly learn "Oh hey PDT is a thing in this era, I'm smart now", whereas before you were completely oblivious to it.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-07-07 19:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

well knowing mechanics =/= competency in executing them. i saw plenty of shells wipe to three kings, sw/di, and tiamat. few things were as fun as low manning them (except aspid, *** aspid), but i definitely felt a sense of accomplishment in being able to beat everything short of the unbeatables when they were unbeatable.

also sandworm old kings (ka/guivre/serket) were decently difficult and fun encounters.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2015-07-07 19:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That's more nonsense.

When it rains, it's wet, but since it's not wet when it doesn't rain should we conclude that the wetness experienced during the rain was subjective and didn't actually happen? No that would be stupid. You haven't said anything of substance.
I'm sorry that you can't comprehend things, I truely am.
Even with 2 very easy and practical examples, you still don't see it.

As long as you aren't capable of stepping outside of your of your own little world, there is no point trying to explain anything to you.

You, clearly, ignored most statements in this thread already and didn't even attempt to understand them.

As I said, you'd, probably, be better of making statements and clarifying that those are your own experiences.
And not force your oppinion on everyone else.
There is always more to everything, than just black and white, and it really saddens me, that people just can't see it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-07-07 19:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Whereas now DT sets are considered "necessary"

They're considered necessary because, as opposed to the limitations of 75-cap, they're now so widely accessible. And being so widely accessible, the strength of the enemies is made in mind of that, thus making it a necessity.

You didn't simply and suddenly learn "Oh hey PDT is a thing in this era, I'm smart now", whereas before you were completely oblivious to it.

definitely. pre wings you couldn't even get into a good ls without showing you had sets for things beyond tp/ws. you needed defense sets, high acc sets, maxed haste/acc sets, kite sets, and a sexy *** set of town gear.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2015-07-07 19:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there's something to be said for the additional 320(80 wearable) on person slots we have now versus lvl 75 cap for being able to have lots of different sets, lol.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-07-07 19:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

does having genie lappa crafted count as difficult pre wotg?

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-07 19:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Need more Carols pls.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-07 19:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
well knowing mechanics =/= competency in executing them. i saw plenty of shells wipe to three kings, sw/di, and tiamat. few things were as fun as low manning them (except aspid, *** aspid), but i definitely felt a sense of accomplishment in being able to beat everything short of the unbeatables when they were unbeatable.

also sandworm old kings (ka/guivre/serket) were decently difficult and fun encounters.

And I've defeated all those, "back in the day", with very little effort. It helps immensely when all those involved actually communicate, know what to do and listen to directions without getting their feelings hurt.

So I guess you all think "listening and following directions" is "difficulty". Explains a lot....
By Draylo 2015-07-07 19:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Just gonna keep arguing in circles, this thread pops up literally every month multiple times. I'm sure we are due to be graced by Latifah or his sock accounts in an attack on XI any moment.
[+]
By Cleric 2015-07-07 19:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Another nostalgia thread.. :\

The only thing I miss back in the "old days" was the community.

Having killed most of the endgame content with less than 9 player
s was an accomplishment at the time, but who wants to fight the same monster for 2 hours? Killing Khimaira with DRK PLD THF BRD RDM WHM was not an "accomplishment", it was a way to waste 2 hours of an evening. Having Apoc,Aegis,Gjallar on him really made it easy mode.

I've found that the game now is more of a grind than it was at 75 cap, simply because of all of the min-maxing that most endgame players should be doing in this stage of the game. Skirmish is a great example of that grinding... Instead of 3hours of kings/homework, its 3hours of fighting butterflies haha.
[+]