Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches Are Racist?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist?
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist?
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-06 14:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lotta sources if you want. Just google it. Appaerently it was from 2013 tho i dont recall hearing about it.

Quote:
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is Racist, Says Portland School Official

Did you know that eating or even talking about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be considered racist?

That’s right.

Apparently, it’s because people in some cultures don’t eat sandwich bread. Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School in Portland explained in and interview with the Portland Tribune:

“Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year,” the Tribune said.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

…The Tribune noted that the school started the new year with “intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives,” to help educators understand their own “white privilege,” in order to “change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.””Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the ‘white privilege’ it conveys,” the Tribune added.

Gutierrez completed a week-long seminar called “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a program the Tribune says focuses “on race and how it affects life.” She also serves on an administrative committee that focuses on systematic racism.

Our focus school and our Superintendent’s mandate that we improve education for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another,” she said in a letter to staff.

Source

--

Quote:
A public elementary school principal in Portland, Ore. has declared that eating or talking about peanut butter sandwiches is probably racist. She has also instituted a separate-but-unequal drum class for minority students only.

Verenice Gutierrez, the principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, discussed her bizarre brand of logic in an interview with the Portland Tribune.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Harvey Scott K-8 also offers a segregated lunchtime drum class for middle school black and Hispanic boys only. Participants must be male. They cannot be white or Asian.

One parent, who wrote to the Tribune anonymously, calls the segregated class “blatant discrimination and [in]equity of women, Asians, whites and Native Americans.”

“This ‘club’ was approved by the administration, and any girls who complained were brushed off and it was not addressed,” the parent added.

The separate-but-equal doctrine doesn’t seem to apply on Gutierrez’s watch. The 500-student school apparently offers no drum classes for male students who are white or Asian, or for girls. Nevertheless, Gutierrez has countered that no children have been rejected from the segregated drum class. The public school principal also argues that the segregated drum class isn’t actually discriminatory.

“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?” the 40-year-old El Paso, Texas native said. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

It’s also not clear where Gutierrez believes offer white-people-only drum classes are offered.

The Tribune notes that all principals employed by the Portland Public Schools participate in a district-wide equality training program called “Courageous Conversations.” The goal of the program is to condition principals and teachers to see their own “white privilege,” which will lead to an improvement in the academic performance of minority students.

Components of the “Courageous Conversations” white-privilege program include rigorous training, regular meetings and classroom observation. Gutierrez, like many Portland Public Schools employees, is certified as an “affiliate” in the California-based program that provides the materials for “Courageous Conversations.”

Harvey Scott K-8 School is about 50 percent Hispanic. Fifteen percent of the students are black. Nine percent are Asian. Over 80 percent qualify for free or reduced lunches.

The school is also terrible academically. The Oregon Department of Education indentified Harvey Scott K-8 as among the lowest 15 percent in the state in academic performance.

Source
By Aelius 2015-07-06 14:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like this school is completely racist and has extreme biased views about everything.

As a responsible parent, I'd enroll my child into a different school because who knows what propaganda they are teaching the children. Take no chances if a damn sandwich is a cause to be up in arms over.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-07-06 14:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I'm confused .... they think peanut butter jelly sandwiches are racist so they offer the minority kids a drum class to make up for it?

I'd rather have the sandwich.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-06 14:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What the *** is going on.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-06 15:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything is racist these days.

The period at the end of my last sentence was probably racist. And so was that one. And that one. And that one. OMG THE HUMANITY!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-07-06 15:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So like if I go to the Middle East and ask for PB & J on White and Im told they only offer Falafel or Kafta on pita; that I would have been subjected to bigotry????

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-06 15:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

They think PB&J, and sandwich bread in general, is racist, because other cultures don't eat them normally.

Cultural difference =/= racism.

The drum class for only blacks and hispanics males is segregationist and sexually biased. This douche needs to be fired
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-06 15:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Everything is racist these days.

The period at the end of my last sentence was probably racist. And so was that one. And that one. And that one. OMG THE HUMANITY!

That period is racist and sexist. Why does everything normally end with a black period. Just cuz a black girl is on the rag don't mean everything has to come to a stop.
 Fenrir.Camiie
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-07-06 15:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So, as a white person, if an authentic restaurant of some other culture isn't willing to provide me a PB&J sandwich are THEY being racist toward me?

Seriously though, not every meal can be sensitive to every culture. I mean what if they'd served spaghetti? How is that any more or less sensitive than a sandwich?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-06 15:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
So, as a white person, if an authentic restaurant of some other culture isn't willing to provide me a PB&J sandwich are THEY being racist toward me?

Seriously though, not every meal can be sensitive to every culture. I mean what if they'd served spaghetti? How is that any more or less sensitive than a sandwich?

No. You need to give up your white privledge and stop ordering your racist food.
By protectorchrono 2015-07-06 15:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG so now even food is being called racist?! What's this world coming too when even the classic PB&J is getting the racist treatment? Ugh. Total Ugh. Just Ugh......Ugh.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-06 16:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cuz its on White Bread, obviously.
 Fenrir.Camiie
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-07-06 16:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Fenrir.Camiie said: »

No. You need to give up your white privilege and stop ordering your racist food.

Something tells me that a white person ordering ethnic cuisine would also be racist.
 Bismarck.Rosalee
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2015-07-06 16:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The fun part is when they start mandating that minority teachers take this 'sensitivity training' to 'check their white privilege' when they're not even white to begin with...
By volkom 2015-07-06 16:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

has there been a case yet where a minority claimed racism against another minority?
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-07-06 16:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I was under the impression that there is nothing more whitebred than honey wheat, multi-grain, whole grain and/or oat bread. White bread is still whitebred?

Hmmm...You learn something new everyday.

YOU LIED TO ME, WHOLE FOODS!!!
[+]
By volkom 2015-07-06 16:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

french bread is racist
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-07-06 16:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

They're not really a minority when they make up 73% of the schools students.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2015-07-06 16:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not contributing to the discussion, just putting this here
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-06 17:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They think PB&J, and sandwich bread in general, is racist, because other cultures don't eat them normally.

Cultural difference =/= racism.

The drum class for only blacks and hispanics males is segregationist and sexually biased. This douche needs to be fired

These are the ppl in charge of teaching todays kids...

... got cold in here didnt it?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-06 17:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I want:

Brown bread.
Brown rice.
Brown sugar.
Brown crackers.
Brown flour.

BROWN POWER.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2015-07-06 17:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been subjected to so much of this racist and white privilege *** that I'm now racist. F%$# them all.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Gawdless
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2015-07-06 18:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cuz its on White Bread, obviously.

I sometimes use wheat bread... Not Because It's healthier, or that I feel pressured into using a brown bread over a white bread to not seem racist at times. but I like to sell expensive items in my house before I go on vacation and then claim I got robbed when I return. For the insurance money.

The Wheat bread is the fall man. Works every time.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-07-06 19:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Food can be racist? Someone tell fried chicken and watermelon!

Also, your title needs an "e". That is all.

Edit: Also, this:
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-07-06 19:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people saw crap like this coming after the pop tart gun incident. Seems they are not as crazy now.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-07-06 20:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

We might need new [sensitive][/sensitive] BBCode to place around [ sandwich ]... ;_;

...hm, that won't work.

Just embrace the FFXIAH [Sandwich] Master Race! Clearly not all sandwiches are equal!
[+]
By volkom 2015-07-06 20:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm eating chocolate peanut butter icecream~ so good
[+]
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2015-07-06 20:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder how they feel about that wonder brand bread that is the same as whole wheat but white...
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2015-07-06 20:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Food can be racist? Someone tell fried chicken and watermelon!

I never understood that one. It's like someone just picked two completely random foods and decided to associate them with a black stereotype. I don't know a single person of any age, race, gender or nationality that doesn't love both of those foods.
[+]
First Page 2 3