Why I still play FFXI
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-06-29 18:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted this elsewhere today when someone asked me why I still play FFXI(and insulted my intelligence for doing so). And then I saw the "Why I quit FFXI for the 100th time" thread. It annoys me. I figured I'd share why I still play.

I run a particularly large Linkshell on Quetz, we have between 25-40 people online at any given time. We exclusively play pet jobs and have developed/continue to develop unique strategies to handle content by using pet jobs. I've loved Beastmaster and Puppetmaster for a long time, and at this point in the game they have become relevant jobs and can be used in any content. Being able to play jobs I love with other people playing the jobs THEY love are the reasons I still play and find enjoyment in the game. I realize my situation is unique, but it works for me and the people I play with.

So how about you? Why do you play this *dying* game? What keeps you going?
[+]
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2015-06-29 18:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I originally came back to the game a month or two ago. It wasn't because of content, difficulty or anything like that for me (and the group who returned) it was to play with other friends, have some last fun before the game eventually goes down and people move on. Potentially to not play any more games. (Like MMO/FFs with the group)

The community/friend aspect has played a major role in me continuing to play this game at any given time in the last 3/4 years. Not actually the game development or content itself.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2015-06-29 18:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

because i love it.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-06-29 19:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never stopped loving this game. I always find something in it to enjoy my time I spend on it. I've had so many fond memories playing this over the years (been playing over a decade.) All the friends I've made (enemies too), things I've personally learned from others and memories are just something that makes this game such an incredible experience. This game also helped me get through a lot of dark times in my past. Just a combination of things that makes me really appreciate this game and the effort that went into creating this world.

It's really sad how easily people can bash this game even given the amount of time out of their lives they spent on it and enjoying it. It's just such a shame they can stoop that low after they leave but it is what it is, nice thread though. You don't see too many positive remarks about this game these days.
[+]
By CapnCrass 2015-06-29 19:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I still play because the enjoyment I get out of the game is worth $15/month to me. With all the "casualization" that's occurred since my wife and I left in 2012, we're able to accomplish most of what we're actually interested in without needing to overcommit our time to an event-style linkshell. I do miss those days, but they're gone for us.

Plus "solo Wings of Fury" is still on my bucket list. /shakefist <colo-colo>
 Odin.Taberif
Server: Odin
user: Taberif
By Odin.Taberif 2015-06-29 19:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

because im an addict
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-06-29 20:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By kingfischer 2015-06-29 20:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This game holds a lot of good memories for me. My wife played with me until a little after Adoulin cam out and then we took a year and a half break. After coming back she just wasn't a fan of the game because she played for the people (who had all quit) while I played more for story and general game content.
Also, Excalibur. I've slowly been building it ever since they redid Dynamis and I WILL finish it to 119 before I am done with this game. When I saw Red Mage I knew I wanted to play that class and since it could use Excalibur I had my mission. 8 years later I'm still trucking away at this game.
 Quetzalcoatl.Guthrie
user: Lebeau
By Quetzalcoatl.Guthrie 2015-06-29 20:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I still play because I want to get to 119 'Vana and have some 121/122 Avatars to play with. I also want to work on an Idris when I'm done with Nirvana. Another big reason I still play is I'm part of this rather large LS that plays pet jobs (2 of my favorite jobs are SMN and GEO) and actually does stuff together...makes the game still worth playing :)
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-06-29 20:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Because whenever I log in, I keep seeing these white numbers everywhere! >.>;;

Must change...

...all the numbers...

...to blue...!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kenrusai
Server: Asura
user: Starkzz
By Asura.Kenrusai 2015-06-29 21:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I play to mess around with old content and only old content on Lv.75 jobs.

Probably not the kind of response you're after, but there you go.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-29 21:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Asura.Kenrusai said: »
I play to reminisce.
I think we all do in some form, differently.

Isn't simply that, it's also fun, and the most fun this game can offer me.
 Bahamut.Ararita
Server: Bahamut
user: ararita
By Bahamut.Ararita 2015-06-30 00:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm...my bro who got me started to farm for his char while he was at work or school is gone to 14 like many others..my ls is non existent so I am solo..friends.. only 3 on my f/l still.so why do I play? My treat to myself..love the game..love the areas to explore and want to complete every quest and defeat every nm from early areas and content before SE drops 360 and ps2/3 and everything goes strictly pc and or/mobile. I am addicted and its not a bad one to have and maybe when you think this game will really have an end SE pulks a rabbit from its hat.. skinny rabbit.. but a rabbit that teases..tantalizes...just straight out seduces us...lol.. but this is only nutty me....lol.
 Asura.Kenrusai
By Asura.Kenrusai 2015-06-30 00:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You're probably the only one who would get seduced by a rabbit, yeah.
 Bahamut.Ararita
By Bahamut.Ararita 2015-06-30 00:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

ànd I do have a ff14 account and char in Exodus but gave yet to play the char.Maybe....one day........
 Bahamut.Ararita
By Bahamut.Ararita 2015-06-30 00:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Those things arent rabbits even if they have the name...you can do better than that. I am truly offended lol.....btw whats the body count in " taco" these days?
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-06-30 02:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from more personal reasons, I play for two main reasons: to help those who need it and to join my friends in doing unconventional things like I have been doing since I moved to Ragnarok.

When I first started my own account in 2003, I remember a Japanese player helping me learn the ropes and Japanese netiquitte. When I asked him how I could repay him, he told me to remember not his name, but the act. So I've been doing that ever since in this game.

And years ago when the CoP missions were a big thing and everyone was harping about only using certain set ups for the big fights, my 8 friends and I decided to ignore that. We ended up beating each fight 2/2 on the jobs we loved until that last fight, where we decided to let Prishe tank =D

Today, when I help people, I tend to shy away from any repayment and instead ask those I help to "pay it forward". And the trio group I'm in do things people usually shout they need 6 people for. Couldn't stay away from this game even if I wanted to =D
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [2423 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2022-02-15 17:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I still play this game because I'm TOO LEGIT TO QUIT.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-02-15 18:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

crippling addiction
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-02-15 19:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
2015-06-30 02:06:26

bumped from 2015, you cheeky bugger
By Draylo 2022-02-15 20:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I still love this game! 7 years later lol
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-02-15 21:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Quote:
2015-06-30 02:06:26

bumped from 2015, you cheeky bugger

Anytime someone necrobumps anything over 1,000 days old just for the sake of necrobumping something very old, the first and only image that comes to mind is:

Note: If it is like a viable question/comment related to the necro, no problem-o. This is aimed at people that look for the 4,500+ day old ***just "for the necrobump lulz", as it were.
By Mattelot 2022-02-16 05:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Anytime someone necrobumps anything over 1,000 days old just for the sake of necrobumping something very old, the first and only image that comes to mind is:

The term "necrobumping" sometimes gets a bad rep. There is no rule here against it but some forums strangely enforce it. Like BG... if you make a new thread, the mods will tell you to post in one of the existing ones but if you do that, they turn around and ban you for necrobumping.

In my views, if necrobumping bothers you, automatically lock the threads after X days or delete them.
By RadialArcana 2022-02-16 07:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

A necro bump is a good thing if it's an informational post, it's like a vault of knowledge on the subject. For example if you're discussing lore, or some connection issue, or how a job plays etc

Nobody is really all that bothered, in the UK "you cheeky bugger" is like saying "oh you!"
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-02-16 07:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just responding to Aeon as in the past year, I've seen some pretty heated discussion over the concept of "necrobumping".
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-02-16 07:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think there's anything wrong with necro-bumping threads, but it is pretty funny to think about how deep someone would have to dig to find a nugget like this lol

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
when someone asked me why I still play FFXI(and insulted my intelligence for doing so).
Good gravy I relate to this. I've had people throw "FFXI player" as an insult at me for 17 1/2 years. As though every game in the same genre is on some linear scale.

I still play FFXI because I'm not done yet. I've been savouring it since I started, taking time between making progress to just have fun with random BCNMs or joining Besieged or whatever. I know I'd get burned out grinding the end-game, so I haven't even made it there yet. Still taking jobs to 99, still finishing storylines, all at my own pace.

The design choices made over the last 20 years are all tailor-made for someone like me. Even if that means it's a smaller audience, I appreciate having a game that employs loose mechanics and puts so much emphasis on the world being open and alive. It's fascinating coming to the forums after the smallest adjustment is announced and seeing everybody scramble to figure out how to use it to break the game in their favour. I love games that reward creativity.
[+]
First Page 2