So What Was The Game Like When ..........

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » so what was the game like when ..........
so what was the game like when ..........
First Page 2

| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2015-06-28 03:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

When it first came out nobody bothered with it really because there was barely anything to do. Just imprimaturs and sight seeing as there was no waypoints anywhere (those quests are now missable!) Later on when Delve was introduced it was the best thing ever, challenging and it got the community all worked up trying to come up with strategies and such. It was good times around then.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-06-28 05:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i remember coalition gear and 18 man ceizak outside nms lol gotta get them rigor's
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kenrusai
Server: Asura
user: Starkzz
By Asura.Kenrusai 2015-06-28 06:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

People were actually happy they couldn't clear Delve in a few days, and believe or not, some were probably genuinely happy Tojil and friends were actually capable of wiping them.

It's great taking something new on, for it to genuinely defeat you (utterly, depending) to then get a satisfying win over it at some point.

Something you will probably never experience again in FFXI.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-06-28 07:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

First thing I did upon arriving in Adoulin, or more precise, Ceizak Battlegrounds where the initial cutscene drops you, is walk into the nearby reive out of curiosity and getting 1 shot by those overpowered bees lol. Fun times.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-28 09:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
First thing I did upon arriving in Adoulin, or more precise, Ceizak Battlegrounds where the initial cutscene drops you, is walk into the nearby reive out of curiosity and getting 1 shot by those overpowered bees lol. Fun times.

After getting that same cutscene, I happened upon a small grouping of little tan bunnies. I was on DNC, wearing a very nice assortment of armor, and I thought to myself...

"It's just a bunny!"

Three seconds or so after drawing my daggers and engaging, the other four bunnies and my original target kicked my *** so hard...

Yeah, never underestimate a rabbit.

Post deleted by User.
By Wordspoken 2015-06-28 10:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
I didn't buy adoulin for like 6 months or a year, so no one did wkr any more and it took me like 5 hours to -box them For clears at low colonization rates lol -_-
It took people 5-6hrs to clear at lower colonization rates with lots of people in it, if it comforts. gdi 6hrs tchakka
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-28 10:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »
Josiahkf said: »
I didn't buy adoulin for like 6 months or a year, so no one did wkr any more and it took me like 5 hours to -box them For clears at low colonization rates lol -_-
It took people 5-6hrs to clear at lower colonization rates with lots of people in it, if it comforts. gdi 6hrs tchakka

Only six?

I stayed in Foret WKR for my clear for almost ten, in party with a paladin who appreciated my RDM buffs.

Yumcax clear took almost twelve, and I saw a DRK die so often that she deleveled to 98.
By fillerbunny9 2015-06-28 11:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Adoulin was mostly a novelty until Delve. at that point it was the VW mentality and you just farmed plasm with no NM clearing. meanwhile WKR were actually fought because they dropped desirable gear. then they started making Delve easier and people began to figure things out and Tojil became everyone's ***. sometime in the middle of this, SE released Skirmish and everyone was all "lol, those weapons suck compared to what else is out there" and promptly ignored it. it cried in the corner until Yorcia was released and everyone begrudgingly started doing that.

at least, that is how I recall it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-06-28 11:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I recall not being allowed to be BLU in the beginning, then needing to have RME or 119 weapons to be allowed into delve pugs, then I had to be a RME/oat monk or a stunner, then I had to have RUN subbed, then I could be a BLU, so I played solo a lot. I did a lot of skirmish when that came out. so without skirmish it would still basically be sightseeing for me.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-06-28 11:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

yorcia skirmish in both forms is basically my jam. I'm not good enough on my leveled and skill capped support jobs(my current character hasn't even got the support job I'm actually good at[COR] leveled at all) to delve and I've never really had a shell in this expansion that was pushing current content like I have in the past with sea and sky. I'm very pleased that BLU is coming back into its own/people are understanding things that BLU brings to the table.
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2015-06-28 12:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel BLU was always relevant to an extent. People always favoured other Jobs over it though. Probably because of accessibility and they were to be honest a lot more simple than BLU.

I would love to play it personally, I just can't get over the mental block of getting spells.

I actually quit for about a year a week or two after Seekers was released and I'm glad I did, the exploring and novelty was great while it lasted but overall I wouldn't rate this expansion as one of the top but it keeps you going and gil sinking. (coughaugments)
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-06-28 12:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My server suffered from that cookie cutter mentality. They read strats online and pugs simply would not deviate from those strats. Those strats didn't include BLU so BLU was not viable in pugs on my server. I also feel like BLU was always applicable, since it brings things to the table that other jobs don't bring.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-06-28 12:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS always took a BLU to Foret runs once we found out Absolute Terror worked on Orobon so you could break his lanterns before he had a chance to do anything and Requiestcat melted Krab.
[+]
By Aelius 2015-06-28 13:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It was nice to see a bunch of dead bodies laying around again like Valkurm Dunes. Those Reives were just slaughtering people with no ilvl equipment.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-06-28 13:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
My LS always took a BLU to Foret runs once we found out Absolute Terror worked on Orobon so you could break his lanterns before he had a chance to do anything and Requiestcat melted Krab.
I'd imagine it was less of an issue in established linkshells.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-06-28 13:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, LS's tended to be more flexible. Even today though you'd be lucky if you could get a BLU in a PUG for Foret over your usual MNK/RUN setup.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-06-28 13:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Reives were a nightmare. You basically had to be a pet job or have an Ochain paladin holding mobs.

Delve was rough. My LS'es first Tojil win was crazy difficult. The job setup for Delve was very rigid- MNKs for Morimar and Foret (BLU also for Foret), Apex SAM and RNG for Ceizak.

Asura.Kaitaru said: »
Sadly I joined back when things were all figured out and I recall needing to be a MNK with Oaxitur's to fight the boss that drops Oaxitur's.

LOL this was pretty horrible. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had to PUG Delve wins at that point.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-06-28 13:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Reives were a nightmare. You basically had to be a pet job or have an Ochain paladin holding mobs.

I definitely got carried through my getting my KIs by an ochain paladin.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-06-28 13:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It was good till they added skill+/ilvl system then the game became easy mode :(
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-28 14:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
or have a blm that knew sleepga2, breakga, and had a chatoyant staff

it really wasn't ever difficult, even at launch sleeps/breaks lasted full duration

delve needed good gear, most of which came from delve in the first place, but it wasn't very hard to coordinate, friend and i were doing all 3 zones easily with my 9 chars and his 7 before any of the nerfs

wkr took under an hour with 6 cors even at 0% colo

really, everything was beatable easily with some combination of the right jobs/gear/coordination, as opposed to now where it's beatable easily with pretty much any amount of 117/119 gear, pretty much any job setup, and essentially no coordination

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Reece
By Fenrir.Reece 2015-06-28 15:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

In all honesty I feel as if, if they didn't implement the gear to say 'Item level: ???' and just left it with all the stats and stuff they're giving it originally. Removed any instance of 'Item Level' people wouldn't know the difference. People would stop hopping on they ruined/this made it easy/it sucks now bandwagon.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-06-28 15:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Reece said: »
In all honesty I feel as if, if they didn't implement the gear to say 'Item level: ???' and just left it with all the stats and stuff they're giving it originally. Removed any instance of 'Item Level' people wouldn't know the difference. People would stop hopping on they ruined/this made it easy/it sucks now bandwagon.

I think making ilevel mean anything beyond indicating a stat budget was a mistake. Maybe it's just the way I think, but when I see someone with better gear that's one thing. When I see someone with gear that makes them 2 levels higher than me that's a bit more of a psychological blow. It just feels weird to me. /shrug
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-06-28 15:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »

I think making ilevel mean anything beyond indicating a stat budget was a mistake. Maybe it's just the way I think, but when I see someone with better gear that's one thing. When I see someone with gear that makes them 2 levels higher than me that's a bit more of a psychological blow. It just feels weird to me. /shrug

I kind of go the other way on this; every other time I've seen Item Level implemented, it's been tiny improvements, even for jumps of 5-10 levels (XIV is particularly egregious here). FFXI is the first time I've seen iLevel implemented in a way that really feels like you're higher level. The jump from 117->119 is noticeable.

We can debate whether iLevel was a good idea for XI in general, but at least when they did it, they did it for reals.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-06-28 15:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Fenrir.Camiie said: »

I kind of go the other way on this; every other time I've seen Item Level implemented, it's been tiny improvements, even for jumps of 5-10 levels (XIV is particularly egregious here). FFXI is the first time I've seen iLevel implemented in a way that really feels like you're higher level. The jump from 117->119 is noticeable.

We can debate whether iLevel was a good idea for XI in general, but at least when they did it, they did it for reals.

I definitely agree that item level feels more like character level in XI than it does anywhere else. in something like WoW it was so inflated that it was hard to notice small improvements and all it really did was change how massively you outgeared and overkilled some dungeon, and in XIV it it a tiny improvement like you said, even for massive ilevel jumps. My i90 stuff didn't seem all that much better than my i70 stuff, in general.
First Page 2