Forum » FFXI » General » Returning FFXI Player Requesting installation aid
Returning FFXI Player Requesting installation aid
 Phoenix.Jaytee
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Jaytee
By Phoenix.Jaytee 2015-06-21 08:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey there, played a few years ago and saw the steam sale and figured why not. The installation has been pretty painful so far, I've solved a few bumps on the way with the installation but now I'm at my wits end.

First it was playonline not accepting my password/username (I know for 110% I was using the correct password/log in because it's plastered everywhere for that being the reason people can't log in) at the newest possible version of playonline. I then decided to verify the game through steam to make sure everything was hunky dory and it made my playonline go to an earlier version?? So anyways, now I got stuck at version 1.18 and I did a file check to see if it would update but nope. Whatever I'll try again to log in again and this time it works on the older version?? So... I'm logging in and the play online handle form pops up, I submit it and an error pops up 5312 multiple times to the "play" screen. Once I finally reach the play screen I need to do updates of course and it pops up with another error 1158.

So, fed up I deleted everything FFXI related on my computer and trying to download from the site itself except during the initial installation process it tells me that there is no such archive from a program called 7-zip. I'm not sure what to do at this point, making it seem I shouldn't get back into ffxi.

Thank you for reading and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
 Odin.Bellincion
Server: Odin
By Odin.Bellincion 2015-06-21 09:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Download all 4 files here and run the .exe

That has everything in one package including the newest POL.
[+]
 Asura.Vinedrius
Server: Asura
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-06-21 10:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Follow what the above poster said and you shouldn't be having any issues with the installation. I would like to add a few things though.

I installed the game with the files on the official page without 7-zip installed so I don't know why you are getting an error about 7-zip, but just in case, it wouldn't hurt to install it http://www.7-zip.org/ It is an open source archiver software.

When the setup asks you which options to install, make sure to tick directx8. Don't worry, you won't lose your current directx version. If you skip it, you will most likely see artifacts on PlayOnline window and that means the game will crash with a directx error right after you hit play and launch the game.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-06-21 11:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Bellincion said: »
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Download all 4 files here and run the .exe

That has everything in one package including the newest POL.

considering how many issues iv had in the past with dl'ing, ill def bookmark that page. Thanks for that. I didnt know that existed.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-06-21 11:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The 7zip error is an error you get when you are missing the other install files. Be sure to get all of them first and then run it. 7-zip is used as the internal file compression agent in the XI install. So you don't even have to have it installed for the zip to work.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-21 16:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If it says "no such archive" it means you didn't download all 4 files, or all 4 aren't there.

Also an interesting glitch, when you download the .exe from IE (I know, I know) it doesn't change the file name properly, you have to manually change the extension when done.
[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-06-21 17:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cough cough Square-Enix account ...

@OP: How long it's been since you stopped playing?
[+]
 Phoenix.Jaytee
By Phoenix.Jaytee 2015-06-22 05:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you all for the recommendations got it up and running by installing it via the official squeenix download.
 Phoenix.Jaytee
By Phoenix.Jaytee 2015-06-22 05:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I've been gone for around 4/5 years now, looking forward to starting anew :D