Is that supposed to be able to happen?
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-06-07 22:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It won't give you a Pixie Earring if you already have one.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-06-07 22:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

yes
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-07 23:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

Isn't that supposed to be if everyone has an earring, one can't drop? 'cause I did not have a Pixie Earring anywhere in my inventory.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-06-07 23:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »

Isn't that supposed to be if everyone has an earring, one can't drop? 'cause I did not have a Pixie Earring anywhere in my inventory.

Yeah. I figured you had one, since everyone, everywhere has one. You sure it's not in storage or something?

Though, now that I look at FFXIDB, apparently that slot isn't 100% anymore? That's wild.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-06-07 23:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIDB doesn't register it as 100% because so many people just leave the earring in their moghouse somewhere rather than repeatedly tossing it.

This is actually (assuming the OP does not in fact have one sitting in storage) an old, old bug that SE never dealt with. 100% drops aren't actually 100%, there's a very small chance they won't drop. I guess 100% drop slots are also affected by this bug.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-07 23:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I figured you had one, since everyone, everywhere has one. You sure it's not in storage or something?

Though, now that I look at FFXIDB, apparently that slot isn't 100% anymore? That's wild.

FFXIDB wouldn't track it if it didn't drop, which is why it's less than 100%.

Edit: Eh, Nightfyre beat me to it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-06-07 23:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Derp. Of course it wouldn't. I know how FFXIDB works, honest

I really didn't know the "there are no 100% drops" thing, though. Interesting.
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-08 01:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

There was no Pixie Earring anywhere in my inventory. There were also other people present with me in party. So I'm assuming what happens is somewhere the percentages on the drop rates do not add up to a perfect 100%, and that it's a really rare thing that has never been worth fixing. Although now I'm looking out for it if it ever happens again.

[edit] What you can't see in the screenshot is the second chat window that is full of me and others going "wtf".
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-08 01:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Slightly OT but speaking of KB drops, what is the commonly accepted drop rate of Defending Ring? 5%?
I'm currently riding on 0/71 KB pops (and 5/98 Savory Shank drops from NQ Behe, if you were wondering).

I'm just questioning if I'm being particularly unlucky, people everywhere seem to be getting 1 Dring in under 25 pops. Didn't met anybody, yet, who told me it took them more than 23-25 pops to get Dring.
Majority of people getting one within the first 5-10 pops actually.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-06-08 02:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Slightly OT but speaking of KB drops, what is the commonly accepted drop rate of Defending Ring? 5%?
I'm currently riding on 0/71 KB pops (and 5/98 Savory Shank drops from NQ Behe, if you were wondering).

I'm just questioning if I'm being particularly unlucky, people everywhere seem to be getting 1 Dring in under 25 pops. Didn't met anybody, yet, who told me it took them more than 23-25 pops to get Dring.
YouTube Video Placeholder

i went like 100+ on savory before first dring and have only had 1 shank go hq in countless time wasting battles lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-08 02:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The 5% drop estimate seems to be legit. Even though that is a 1 in 20 chance, about 40% of people will get it in 10 tries or less. About 26% will require more than the 25 tries you mentioned, and about 2.5% of people will require more than your 71 tries. The RNG can be a harsh mistress. I wish you the best of luck in your future attempts.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-08 02:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lovely! Looking forward to reach 100+ Savory Shanks =/
Did you really count those 100s or is that just a rough estimation because of how frustrating the whole process was?

Met other people who claimed stuff like 150+ etc, turned out to be that they were just exagerating because they didn't keep careful track of shanks used (call me an OCD, but I totally did)
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-06-08 02:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i stopped counting after 300m in gil and at the time savory was 3-3.5m lol
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-06-08 02:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

of course in an SE twist my mules went 1/1 and 1/4...
[+]
 Odin.Machorz
Server: Odin
user: MacHorz
By Odin.Machorz 2015-06-08 03:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

so far I saw 3 rings in 10 pops. And I dont thinkt they changed the drop. Either earring or ring drops. I just did 2KB few days ago and got both drops(first ring,second earring) without THF. at OP,if you have windower,use "//findall pixie" and you might find the earring
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-08 03:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

One friend of mine got theirs in one try. Another friend got theirs in two. I got mine in three. And tonight we went 0/13 on a 4th D Ring.

And I've personally interacted with a poor *** on Asura who went something like 90/+ pops with no ring.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-08 03:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I never even remotely meant to hint that SE changed rates or anything btw.
Was just asking for practical data.
A lot of people tend to exagerate their numbers after they pass a certain threshold.
Had this guy who claimed he was over 110 shanks. And he claimed so with good intentions, he wasn't trying to exagerate on purpose.
Friend of this guy sends me some tells saying that he's been present in all of his friends' pops and they were about 40-60 and no more Which is still quite a big amount don't get me wrong, but it's nowhere near the 110+ claimed by the guy.

Had other similar experiences so I tend to be skeptic when people claim they tried for very big numbers, and try to doublecheck if they're really 100% sure or if they stopped tracking after a while.
I know I didn't.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-08 03:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know how many KB I've done but considering I've been getting shanks every login campaign since they atarted minus 1 month where I wasn't playing, I must be in pretty high numbers for KB by now.

I made the mistake this month of thinking I would get more savory shanks through Beastly Shanks, according to ffxidb the drop rate on Savory Shanks is about 1/6, so in essence for the 6 beastly you get instead of the 1 guaranteed savory, on average you'll get 1 savory.

Of course it's all down to chance, you could get more, could get less, I got less this month and I think I'll just go for the guaranteed Savory, giving me at least 3 this month as I have 3 characters.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-08 03:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

While I never kept count, by maths alone I would have gone through 276 Beastly Shanks, that's not counting the ones I may have bought, obtained in KS99 or received from friends, which is very low as I have one friend who occasionally donates shanks to me despite everyone I know already getting a D Ring, que sera sera.

Then onto Savory Shanks, assuming the 1/6 drop rate and the few Savory Shanks I've bought, it could be safe to assume I could be about 0/50, who knows, it's gonna be a pretty high number at this rate.

Bet the D Ring would have dropped off the KB I DC'd on.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-08 04:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done at least 98 beastly shanks (it's actually more, but 98 is the only number I can 100% be sure of) and got 5 Savory Shanks out of them.

Rate should be higher, around 1 every 7, similar to what you reported.
Guess I'm just not particularly lucky with anything related with Behe/KB.

Also keep in mind that while Dring drop rate is not related to TH appearently, the drop rate of Savory Shank is.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-08 07:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know TH doesn't affect the Pixie/D Ring slot, but yes, if you're popping NQ to get your HQ by all means get some TH.

This does not mean poke at it with a Thief's Knife until it dies. In my experience, which isn't a scientific process nor anything proven, TH 10 has gotten me more Savory than higher numbers.

-incidentally, all the Defending Rings I've seen pop came directly following an NQ pop with a treasure pool consisting of four items, none of which were a HQ pop. Again, superstition...

I've known people who have claimed to be 0/97 or more; I take it at face value mainly because there's nothing to gain by lying except possibly sympathy.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-08 09:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Couldn't tell you my numbers for sure, I'm not one to track my misery that closely.

I can tell you I've been doing KB since he was a good ol' land king, burned Kindred Seals on the BC trying to get shanks. Have been spending points consistently since they started doing login campaigns that offered both shank types and have rarely missed an opportunity to max out on shanks in said fashion.

Still no ring for me.

It's pretty well-accepted within my ls that my luck on drops is largely terrible with a few individual shining moments of amazing luck (for instance, getting the 35 Usu foot piece the first time the bee ever popped for our group back in the day. And...uhh...that's actually the last really good example I can think of.)
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-08 09:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Couldn't tell you my numbers for sure, I'm not one to track my misery that closely.

I can tell you I've been doing KB since he was a good ol' land king, burned Kindred Seals on the BC trying to get shanks. Have been spending points consistently since they started doing login campaigns that offered both shank types and have rarely missed an opportunity to max out on shanks in said fashion.

Still no ring for me.

It's pretty well-accepted within my ls that my luck on drops is largely terrible with a few individual shining moments of amazing luck (for instance, getting the 35 Usu foot piece the first time the bee ever popped for our group back in the day. And...uhh...that's actually the last really good example I can think of.)
You must be like me then, my LS are always making fun of me, stating the game doesn't want me to get a dring.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-08 09:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

My luck is bad in general, but PDT/MDT set pieces are the worst.

I went 0/1000+ on Kaggen for my damn Mekira Mekogai before my wife got frustrated and just bought me the damn tickets to make it.

I only know it was 1000+ b/c she got hers after like 855 or so and actually kept track, and I counted mine after hers until she bought me the coupons.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-08 09:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
My luck is bad in general, but PDT/MDT set pieces are the worst.

I went 0/1000+ on Kaggen for my damn Mekira Mekogai before my wife got frustrated and just bought me the damn tickets to make it.

I only know it was 1000+ b/c she got hers after like 855 or so and actually kept track, and I counted mine after hers until she bought me the coupons.
It's pretty damn uncanny but I had terrible luck on Mekira as well.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-08 09:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

A few folks in my linkshell saw the "new" Mekira in the most recent update and couldn't wait to get on vent that night and have a good joke at my expense.
By nagokasylph 2015-06-08 10:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Screw going for a Dring. My main went 1/131 on Leaping Lizzy, counted each one with ToD for both spawns. It wasn't until two years AFTER they went Ra/Ex that they dropped to him. RNG isn't a harsh mistress, she's a leather clad dom with a barb wire whip.
[+]
 Cerberus.Halticus
user: Halticus
By Cerberus.Halticus 2015-06-08 11:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
of course in an SE twist my mules went 1/1 and 1/4...
If you spent 300M+ , those 2 mules deserved that 1/1 - 1/4 drop for sure.
 Sylph.Elwynbelwyn
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Elwynbelwyn 2015-06-09 07:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

/itemsearch "pixie earring"
First Page 2