Random Crashes (with Crashdump)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » General » Random crashes (with crashdump)
Random crashes (with crashdump)
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-28 06:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

For the last few weeks I've been having random crashes. They seem to be happening more often when I'm dualboxing, but they do happen even when I don't.
Odd thing, they seem to happen even when I'm idle doing absolutely nothing and just looking at the screen.

I uploaded a full memory crash dump. Can anybody at least help me understand what is causing it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxZYiqQngWFqODhmWlo5NE41Q00/view?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance.
 Asura.Cyleena
user: Cyleena
By Asura.Cyleena 2015-05-28 09:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I have also had this issue since the last major update but seems like it has gotten better recently. I still crash every once in awhile now but not as frequently. Now I gave the crash bug to Sechs and Lew. ; ;
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-30 09:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Anybody managed to get a chance to check those crashdumps? It keeps happening, and it keeps being random. I.e. sometimes you're just in town standing there reading shouts/yells, and the second after you get a crash.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-05-30 10:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the cause is a DirectX memory access violation; I can't tell you anything more from the dump, since I don't have a build with debugging symbols built in.

That would explain its randomness, at least. Not overly helpful though, sorry.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-30 10:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

But if it were just a directX memory access violation wouldn't that mean it has nothing to do with Windower?
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-05-30 12:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

All calls made from POL go through Hook (which is how Windower works). So it could be an actual POL bug, or it could be something that Hook doesn't handle correctly, or it could be any number of things.