First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-26 04:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

*backreads* Not gonna quote specific posts cause I'd have to go back to find them again and it's a waste of time...anyway..

I feel called into the discussion since multiple people have pretty much referred to me without making names.
Some people here think I created some sort of campaign against the mods or that I sent flaming PMs to them with angst and death threats. That's not what happened and I am not here to antagonize the powers that be just because of their role. As a matter of fact I never had issues with Anye and even though me and Aelius won't go on a date to the park I think we can at least speak decently and sincerely(at least I hope he's sincere when he talks to me). Also I'd like to insist on the fact I haven't said anything negative against Terraka, mine was just curiousity, and understanding now that she's Aelius' lover - disagreeable or not - I at least understand the reasoning behind the decision.

I have been very civil with mods, even while being aware of insults thrown at me by members of this community and mods too, I kept a very calm behaviour when discussing issues with them in private. And since I know there's people who dont believe me(they outright said me lol), you can ask Aelius if I was or not.

I am well aware that the position of administration/moderation is bound to attract angst from those who have action taken upon them, I have personal experience with that too. And also I've been a bad mod in the past, mainly cause I had short temper. But I got better with time, I learned to be more open to debate and less ban happy, and this is what I expect from moderators of a big community such as this.
I expect fairness, I expect unbiased action, I expect them to be detached not from the community with which they should have a rapport, but from being part of their dynamics as well. As a place where people talk everyday, personalities are bound to collide, and mods shouldn't fall into that.

And don't make me start on Saint Josiah's "I cry cause you're all bad", if I had issues with the K-mods there are good reasons, just like users are all humans who can misstep, so are mods and sometimes even mods need to be moderated. A holier than thou attitude isn't going to do any good.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-26 05:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
Mods be lax >>> "Mods aren't doing their jobs", Mods start cracking down >>> "Mods are terrible".
This is how you and the new mod, and her man are dismissing the complaints as, it's dishonest and is dismissive of the issues.

This has literally nothing to do with plot.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-05-26 06:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

what did i just read O_o

I've been here way too long (at least 8years now), pretty on/off with these forums, but I really do enjoy the community here, for the most part.

I think you guys messed up with the lack of communication with the community, Maybe a discussion thread on needing a new mod before modding somebody to rally and convince everybody that we needed one and maybe even introducing some potential candidates before giving the final selection, instead of just dropping the Iron Toy hammer and letting the dust settle lol.

I think anybody willing to give up their free time and mod for this site deserves a nod and support/appreciation for their efforts, even if their selection process was pretty scandalous, I think we should give her a Fair chance and see how she does instead of wasting energy arguing for a change that won't happen lol.

and who knows maybe having somebody who doesn't already have a personality on these forums might be what we needed, somebody with a clean slate.

with all that said I'd like to finish with a /welcome to our new mod and a good luck! cause you are definitely going to need it lol.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 07:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Some people here think I created some sort of campaign against the mods or that I sent flaming PMs to them with angst and death threats.
No, that's me.

/mails more death threats to Kojo and Aelius.

In all seriousness, if anyone has any major complaints about some mods, I would be one of them.

Yes, I have been treated unfairly in the past, how some people can act up so much and troll pretty much any thread they want and not even get a warning, public or otherwise. And yet, all I have to do is argue against these same people and I get topic/temp banned.

Hell, I have been threatened by a certain mod that if I got into trouble any more, I would receive a permanent ban.

But every single time I get banned, I reference the forum rules and show the mods/admins what I did did not constitute a ban. 9/10 times I don't even get a second glance, but every once in a while a ban is overturned.

Moderation is very biased here, I have felt it personally. I'm sure others have too. But I can honestly state that the moderation has improved somewhat in the past few weeks compared to before.

Still biased though.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-05-26 07:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome, new mod!

Don't get too stressed out by everything people are posting. There's almost no chance you'll be the worst mod this forum has ever seen. Even if you do literally nothing you will be better than the majority of XIAH mods.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 07:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't turn Krizz on us.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-05-26 07:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, prz don't krizz all over our faces.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-05-26 08:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
what did i just read O_o
Kinda my reaction.

The gist of the thread though: the majority of those who posted are totally not happy with the moderation work on FFXIAH. Why? Lots of internal politics that only their participants know about, so this thread won't be informative to those not involved.

If you're not that heavily invested in this site then it wouldn't matter to you.

Serious question: if a friend was banned, is it possible to inquire about the reason?
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-05-26 08:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Serious question: if a friend was banned, is it possible to inquire about the reason?
This is kinda difficult as some may take it as giving info to unenvolved parties. Personally, if a friend asks via PM, I don't see much reason not to. In most cases those who are banned will know why but there are cases where 'why' is not fully understood and they may not feel up to asking for themselves. If it's asked via PM, I think it's up to the moderator but asking publicly is a bad idea as it only publicizes the issue and attracts more attention to it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By volkom 2015-05-26 08:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
So long as the Bunnymod agrees not to commit heresy

[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-05-26 08:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I see, thanks. I meant in private, of course.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-05-26 08:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Congrats!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 08:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This is kinda difficult as some may take it as giving info to unenvolved parties. Personally, if a friend asks via PM, I don't see much reason not to. In most cases those who are banned will know why but there are cases where 'why' is not fully understood and they may not feel up to asking for themselves. If it's asked via PM, I think it's up to the moderator but asking publicly is a bad idea as it only publicizes the issue and attracts more attention to it.
This. A thousand times over. Someone gets banned, it's up to that person, and that person alone, to directly PM a mod to question and contest the ban's fairness.

I know I've been called out personally on more than one occasion over some stupid ***I might say, but, like a certain incident in P&R not too long ago...
If you do stupid ***, like parrotposting InfoWars videos, or going off of "medical advice" given to you by Jenny McCarthy's Twitter feed, expect to be shut down hard. Do yourself a favor, certain people who know who you are:
Actually research all the information concerning an issue, before you go full on tinfoil hat mode and end up with a bar of Lye soap stuffed in your mouths. Oh, and by "research", I mean sourcing your data from medical journals, and from the actual media. Alex Jones isn't actual media, and Jenny McCarthy isn't a trained and licensed doctor.
People shouldn't be banned for having ideas and opinions different than yours. People also shouldn't be banned for having ideas and opinions contrary to reality either.

People shouldn't be banned for promoting ideas and opinions that is not only detrimental to the nation and the world, but also counter to their reasoning. Those ideals should be proven wrong at every single instance they are brought up, and if the poster keeps spouting that idiotic ideal, should be ridiculed for having such ideas and not learning from facts presented to them.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-26 08:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Asura.Ina said: »
Mods be lax >>> "Mods aren't doing their jobs", Mods start cracking down >>> "Mods are terrible".
This is how you and the new mod, and her man are dismissing the complaints as, it's dishonest and is dismissive of the issues.

This has literally nothing to do with plot.

I honestly don't know the details of what happened here in the past, yes I was a lurker, but at the time I didn't care what happened, because I wasn't a mod, and I'm not going to ask what happened because honestly all of that was in the past, they've tried to move past it, which is hard given what information I've been told recently about the mods actions and since there's some people who won't let it go. They're only human, mistakes were bound to be made.

They're learning to move past them, how come no one else will?

Moderation is a touchy area with a lot of people.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 08:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
This. A thousand times over. Someone gets banned, it's up to that person, and that person alone, to directly PM a mod to question and contest the ban's fairness.

I know I've been called out personally on more than one occasion over some stupid ***I might say, but, like a certain incident in P&R not too long ago...
If you do stupid ***, like parrotposting InfoWars videos, or going off of "medical advice" given to you by Jenny McCarthy's Twitter feed, expect to be shut down hard. Do yourself a favor, certain people who know who you are:
Actually research all the information concerning an issue, before you go full on tinfoil hat mode and end up with a bar of Lye soap stuffed in your mouths. Oh, and by "research", I mean sourcing your data from medical journals, and from the actual media. Alex Jones isn't actual media, and Jenny McCarthy isn't a trained and licensed doctor.
People shouldn't be banned for having ideas and opinions different than yours. People also shouldn't be banned for having ideas and opinions contrary to reality either.

People shouldn't be banned for promoting ideas and opinions that is not only detrimental to the nation and the world, but also counter to their reasoning. Those ideals should be proven wrong at every single instance they are brought up, and if the poster keeps spouting that idiotic ideal, should be ridiculed for having such ideas and not learning from facts presented to them.
Which the bolded would never happen, concerning the people in question. So it's best to stamp out their heresy with a Bolter, before it spreads. By the Emperor's will.
That's the problem.

You cannot force ideals to people, they will A) never accept them and B) actually would do all in their power to go against your ideals. What you are doing is creating a martyr for this, either figuratively or literally.

Flower head's ideas will continue to grow if you force him out of the community. He will go around and "spread the word" so to say either in other online forums and/or on the streets, which gullible people (see: children) will listen to him (because his answer is the easiest to understand, abet any response against his requires some knowledge of the economy as a whole, while his ideas are simplistic in nature, as wrong as they are).

You can already see it happening with this (see my latest response in Random P&R). You may have silenced his voice, but not his idea, which continues to fester among those who do not know better and want the easy way out. The best way to counter such ideas is to present easy-to-understand facts against such atrocities against reality.

And sorry for derailing this thread, but I think everyone can learn a little about this, as it applies to all topics and even towards moderation techniques.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-05-26 09:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep the P+R *** there. No one else cares.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 09:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Point to any P&R topics here and we will.
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-26 09:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Point to any P&R topics here and we will.

Hey now, play nice guys.

Don't make me turn this car around! You know we don't have to go to Disneyland!!

:P
 Shiva.Keman
Server: Shiva
user: Keman
By Shiva.Keman 2015-05-26 10:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So wait, was someone given Mod "powers" mostly because they were another mods girlfriend? If so I guess I can understand people being skeptical, I've browsed/lurked these forums for a while now and never heard of this person, but maybe she will work out who knows. I'm all for someone trying to step up and take on more responsibility.

I know you couldn't pay me to be a mod. Positions of power always seem so mentally draining to me. You can never make anyone happy and they always want more it seems.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-26 10:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Keman said: »
maybe she will work out
It's important to keep your body healthy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-05-26 10:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Disclaimer: I don't know ANY of the current mods other than by name, and therefore have no informed opinion other than that gathered from that information (i.e. very little).

First off, congrats, I guess, though in most cases being a mod is more of a pain in the *** than it is any kind of benefit.

From what I read here, though, some things trouble me. A previous lurking user, unknown to all but a few, suddenly raised to a position of authority over other users....and the rumors that this new mod is in a personal relationship with current staff.

That smells like dead fish, folks. Then again, I don't know for sure, so I can't really cry nepotism just yet.

I was an administrator on a large forum for three years. The amount of *** that staff goes through is staggering, with no thanks and a lot of insults. That said...

Professionalism. No, it doesn't mean getting paid. It means to do the job you were given with as much objectivity and as little personal involvement as you possibly can.

If I'd pulled half the crap I have seen on this site, I'd have been de-adminned so fast it would have made not only MY head spin, but those next door to me as well.

I do realize that with different sites come different rules, but sheesh...

This isn't a criticism of current staff. As I stated, I don't know any of you, and I am not privy to the current guidelines that staff must follow to keep their positions. It just seems to me that there is very little oversight and a lot more latitude than I think is prudent. Again, opinion...

Speaking hypothetically, any moderator who uses his or her position to persecute another user should be, pardon my French, shitcanned posthaste. There's too many ways a mod can cover their tracks and get someone banned for something the user may or may not have even done.

Touching upon the site updates, I imagine that allowing others into dev tools would involve handing out permissions that could, in inexperienced hands, screw the site up to the point that Admin would have to spend considerable time to fix it. For example, on the forum I used to admin on, word was given that there was a possible password breach linked to peoples' Wizards of the Coast accounts. (It was a Magic: the Gathering site.) I mass dumped emails to every current user because I felt everyone should know, and managed to get the site email blocked temporarily as spam because I didn't do it the right way.

After getting the deserved ***-chewing from the site owner, along with a "Hey, you had good intentions BUT...." I learned, the hard way, not to screw with permissions I wasn't 100% sure how to use.

All that said, I have to agree that there is a lack of professionalism in some of the staff's posting styles, but again, I am not certain what is expected of them as per Scragg's rules for his mods. That means I can't really call anyone out on it... for all I know, it's acceptable to him.

Another note: I have never had a negative mod interaction on this forum, so this isn't me bawwwwing about being treated unfairly, either. (Don't think I've had ANY mod interaction, as far as that goes...)

At any rate, I'm still fairly new here. I don't know what has gone on before I was here.

I'll just watch what happens and form my own opinions from what I see.
[+]
 Shiva.Keman
Server: Shiva
user: Keman
By Shiva.Keman 2015-05-26 10:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Shiva.Keman said: »
maybe she will work out
It's important to keep your body healthy.

I uh.... damn, I got a response to that post 10x faster then I would a Vagary shout on FFXI >.>
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
Server: Bismarck
user: alyria
By Bismarck.Alyora 2015-05-26 11:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
how can others become a mod?

Obstacle course
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-05-26 11:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm an obstacle in your course.

OVERCOME ME, BRO!
[+]
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
By Bismarck.Alyora 2015-05-26 11:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and I don't need a leash. I pee and poop on the paper just fine.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-05-26 11:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Alyora said: »
Oh and I don't need a leash. I pee and poop on the paper just fine.
Then why is all over the carpets... and oh god... THE DRAPES!

*beats aly with a newspaper* BAD MOD, BAD!
[+]
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
By Bismarck.Alyora 2015-05-26 11:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

:D
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12