Forum » FFXI » General » xbox 360 zone freezing
xbox 360 zone freezing
 Ragnarok.Rajmasters
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: KingRaj
By Ragnarok.Rajmasters 2015-05-24 07:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Good day all, recently after may emergency update I've noticed whenever my main and another mule that's 99 gets long freeze after zoning.
It doesn't affect my other mules.
In past 8 years whenever I zone I'll freeze for 5 secs which I understand the items are loading but now I'll get my 5 secs freeze than after 10 secs I'll freeze for 45 secs or so.
Sometimes after the 45ish secs freeze I'll disconnect error pol 4001 and be at the character select menu so can get back on but have to go through the freeze again.
Are other xbox users having similar issues and anyone have a solution please thank you.
By Zubis 2015-05-24 08:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This right here is why SE took so long to drop PS2 and 360 support folks.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-05-24 09:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't put anything in your mog safe 2 it's the extra 80 items you can carry it makes you freeze while it's loading in the items.

Best advice would be to buy a desktop and play on that the client should still be free to download from the Goddess Gala site.
 Ragnarok.Rajmasters
By Ragnarok.Rajmasters 2015-05-24 09:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

At first I thought it was mogsafe 2 so took everything out and my mule rajfour doesn't have mogsafe 2 unlocked and it's on rajfour that disconnects happen most.
Buying a desktop or laptop unfortunately financially can't atm.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-24 10:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Been using the 360 for a few days again for some side stuff, as I get tired of sitting at my desk all the time, not having a single issue with loading or connection, and I have items in the 2nd safe.

edit: I am using a 360 slim.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Tealsic
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tealsic
By Quetzalcoatl.Tealsic 2015-05-24 10:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

my 360 did this and I had to ditch it. I even reinstalled the game several times from several editions. Support told me it was my hardware after so many trial and errors. Now I play on pc. Join the masterrace padewan.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-24 10:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

XBOX360 harddrive uses a custom variation of FAT as filesystem (FATX or XBOX FAT. FAT means File Allocation Table, not blubber).

If the FAT has fragmentation, the system will have to traverse many sectors of the harddrive while searching for files.

The FFXI files on XBOX360 are stored inside of encrypted containers which are then stored on a heavily fragmented harddrive.

Because the game files are stored on a encrypted "zip file" or "container", the XBOX360 has to scan through the whole file (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_mode_of_operation check the CBC part) to get each file which correspond to stuff you have stored on your inventory.
If the file is fragmented the I/O will be very slow (due to the harddrive head assembly having to move through several areas of the disk) and the game will freeze up until the XBOX360 OS finishes fetching the files the game need.

The worst the fragmentation is, the longer it will take.

The more often you load/delete files from your harddrive the more it get fragmented.

And that's how it goes.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-24 10:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So effectively one solution would be (if you wanted to go through the trouble before the 360 support dies for XI) is to grab a SSD, swap it with the drive, and use a one of the utilities available to prep it for 360 use, any reason that wouldn't work? I mean aside from that the 360 will probably kill it faster than a normal drive.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-24 11:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't because you won't be able to sign a drive certificate (RSA 2048bit key, baby) for the drive nor will you able to pull a WD scorpio hack (make the drive report the same make ID/serial number as the Microsoft signed drive certificate you have).

So it's about being SOL.

Not really worth anything, you could just erase the whole hard drive, have it formatted on the dashboard and start over to get the fragmentation issue solved.

Unfortunately the FFXI install is of a contents type which doesn't get listed at the dashboard file manager, meaning you can't move it to another drive.

If you could, then it would work *move* everything out to USB memory units then back in (after fully emptying the drive) to make stuff be written sequentially (that solves the fragmentation problem quite neatly and on a single write pass).

That is, by the way the most efficient way of defrag USB flash drives.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-24 12:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, I wasn't aware that the hard drives were limited to certain models to obtain cert signing, guess that wouldn't work then, oh well.

Yeah, I know that you can't "move" or "copy" XI from one 360 to another, has to be a fresh install, was annoying when I upgraded my original 360 back in the day.
 Ragnarok.Rajmasters
By Ragnarok.Rajmasters 2015-05-24 12:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you all for response, so would a hard drive fragmentation and than re install ffxi solve this do you think.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-24 13:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

At least is something you could try.

But you need to erase the whole drive and format using the dashboard format function(backup or move your important stuff first to a USB memory unit first).

Reinstall and update FFXI before putting anything else back on the drive.
 Ragnarok.Rajmasters
By Ragnarok.Rajmasters 2015-05-24 13:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Just looked through my stuffs I only have original disk and SOA disk. I no longer have WOTG disk. If I had do full install I'll need WOTG and codes it came with right?
By Jetackuu 2015-05-24 14:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rajmasters said: »
Just looked through my stuffs I only have original disk and SOA disk. I no longer have WOTG disk. If I had do full install I'll need WOTG and codes it came with right?
just the disc to install.

I had a full seeker's collection disc somewhere but I can't find the damn thing for the life of me.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-24 14:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't own 360 discs but I don't think the SoA only disc has WOTG data in it.
 Ragnarok.Rajmasters
By Ragnarok.Rajmasters 2015-05-24 14:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so no need codes just disks to install everything, was afraid it would ask me to re enter codes now just gotta find a wotg disk. So doing a complete xbox fragmentation is best course of action I take it than?
 leo
By leo 2015-05-24 16:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

PlayOnline codes are single use exactly because they are used to permanently unlock entitlement for the content. You can use your FFXI account freely on a PC client if you want.

The rule is different for FFXIV in the sense you need a code for each platform but they're also single use.

They probably changed their mind about letting people cross from one platform to another within the same game without paying.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-24 20:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »
I don't own 360 discs but I don't think the SoA only disc has WOTG data in it.
It doesn't, but they also have a Seekers Collection disc, which had ALL of the content on it, I had bought both and a PC download (3 accounts anyway) and that way I didn't have to rely on my older discs continuing to work, honestly it was overkill as until the past week I hadn't used my 360 at all since buying it in 2013, except for a single update a few months back for the lulz.

leo said: »
They probably changed their mind about letting people cross from one platform to another within the same game without paying.

Really makes little sense imo, kinda like why they prevented people from downloading the client for free, if you want people to pay a subscription (ultimate goal) you should eliminate the other barriers that end up just pissing customers off and make them say "*** this." But SE has a long list of pissing customers off, I guess those that stay are masochists.
 Ragnarok.Rajmasters
By Ragnarok.Rajmasters 2015-05-25 16:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought I'll just update ppl, I sent maybe 80% of gears items to mule and rest on porter moogle, so only carrying gears for one job (less than 100 total items on me). This has stopped the freeze and the mules are now experiencing the 45 secs plus freeze now. Which is fine since can play on main now, just sux have to resend gears from mules if need change job for a event. Just incase this info helps anyone to know what exactly issue is with xbox.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-25 16:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing else you can do unless you're willing to wipe your system. The only option that would work is SE/M$ making it so one could defrag the drive and those encrypted sections, but even if they weren't dropping support next year, the likelihood of that happening is next to nil, as neither one have great CS.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-25 18:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rajmasters said: »
Thought I'll just update ppl, I sent maybe 80% of gears items to mule and rest on porter moogle, so only carrying gears for one job (less than 100 total items on me). This has stopped the freeze and the mules are now experiencing the 45 secs plus freeze now. Which is fine since can play on main now, just sux have to resend gears from mules if need change job for a event. Just incase this info helps anyone to know what exactly issue is with xbox.

That's called "workaround". ;)

But glad to hear you somehow had your problem solved. Since we have less than a year worth of service on FFXI for XBOX360, I'd say you maybe are better out bearing with the need of having less items until XBOX360 service ends and you migrate to Windows.