Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » game depth and oversight
game depth and oversight
By Kooljack 2015-05-23 19:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, Hi. say I just wanted to ramble and talk about things I see hear people grumbling about from time to time.

when we first had the game we had limited jobs, they expanded those..
we went from essential buffs to frill with the addition of geo and 4 song bards

the depth to the game has finally filled out nicely. physical and magical are both fully depth-ed; to your preferences of defeating your foes.

There is a huge community to this game who say that all their friends quite because they would always say the fights turned either into 30second zergs or stun locks. or w/e you have because of variety wasnt there; and the content wouldn't come fast enough before they got bored killing said mob the most efficient dumbed-down full ally way they could. they'd be irritated that the game didn't have monsters or foes that made the game more interestingly like xyz unique fight el'yonder solo'd by kiting and just 'sqwueeking' out enough damage. Anyways My big gripe is with this mindset and mentality of hating on SE for just not producing content to smash on the endgame 'level'.. granted it is SE's fault for not seeing how well the game would have done if given a proper priority level. But That is a fallacy to get trapped into, The variety is in the 22 different job combinations you can do and not the content depth. How well orchestrated and depth-ed the JOBS of the game is what MAKES THIS GAME. Not the content of the endgame nor the 'next' shiney. Yes 3 geo's a whm and a sam is all you need. but fighting is like dancing; sometimes it's fun to fight. you might want to extend the fighting. shorthand yourself, or whatever to make it fun. The variety of the game is in the jobs not the content. The sooner you realize this the better off you will be if your thinking of playing.

I never cared about having quantity over quality. If I can geek out lowmanning, tough content by dancing between pdt, tp etc that's all the fun that there is to be had with the game. IF you are so bored of the content try leveling a different 'job' to master the same things. Yes there are advanced jobs you can switch to. not everything plays like a samurai, geo & whm. But the variation is there for when you get bored killing the same ol'endgame mob with your big buff alliance, to go switch jobs and do it without the straightforwardness of 'samurai-meikyo-smash'.

The love for the game comes from being in your own mindset about the fun of challenging yourself from the content that there is. There has always been something difficult for a pt to do. And that is all that matters. If you got the fight down to a tee and are bored out of your brains.... don't blame the game, blame the player for not switching it up.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-05-23 19:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

"Depthed" isn't a word, and if one or two options are consistently optimal then the game is not, in fact, particularly deep from a macro-scale/party composition perspective. Deep games have interplay between options. If one option consistently wins, that indicates a lack of depth in that area.

It would be more accurate to say that XI has excellent breadth in terms of party organization - even if they're not all optimal in some or all respects, many different setups are at least capable of success. FFXI's depth, such as it is, lies in other aspects of the game.
[+]
 Sylph.Staleyx
Server: Sylph
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2015-05-23 19:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Wall of nothingness and no capitalization.
[+]
 Bismarck.Marmite
Server: Bismarck
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-05-23 20:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You've probably had enough weed today.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-05-23 21:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Is anyone else amused by the fact that this guy has 2 threads going, one where he complains about certain jobs, and another where he's needlessly developing a strategy around said jobs?
[+]
By cervelo84 2015-05-24 12:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack I remember you made a post a while back and people flamed.

But also many enjoyed your points and contributed to them. I think you bring up some good ones here.

This game has filled out nicely and zerg does not happen unless you do have a specific setup. But with the variety of jobs and player skills available you don't always get the optimal setup.

Many game companies are searching for the right formula for mmo's moving forward and FFXI has so many amazing idea's for them to capture. The character development in FFXI and the vast away of content is why this is the greatest MMO ever. I have taken over 20 + breaks of 1 month - 3 years and always come back. My opinion on MMO is quite deep considering I have done everything from Everquest, to Asherons call 2, to WoW, to Wildstar. I just returned to WoW 5 months ago and left shortly after. FFXIV was great but not very deep. ( newly released so that's fine) (Give it 1-3 years maybe?)