Important BLU spells
First Page 2
 Odin.Angeldfz
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Angeldfz
By Odin.Angeldfz 2015-05-21 03:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I Have recently finished getting BLU to 99 and was looking to find out which are the most important BLU spells that need to be collected first so that I can be an effective Blue Mage.

I already have some basic ones, such as Cocoon and metal body, but nothing from higher levels yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 Asura.Rinuko
Server: Asura
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-05-21 03:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Get all
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-05-21 03:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

All of them.

Seriously, practically everyone of them has a purpose either as a direct cast spell or in the form of a useful job trait. BLU's strongest feature is that it can customize it's job trait selection by setting different spells and tailor itself to the specific situation at hand. Skipping spells is nerfing yourself.
[+]
By Wordspoken 2015-05-21 04:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure we can find some spells that aren't used, but I'd say to get them all as well. #firstworldbluemageproblems
[+]
 Odin.Angeldfz
By Odin.Angeldfz 2015-05-21 04:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I will be going for all of them. Unfortunately, I'm a completionist, haha.

I was just wanting to know which spells would best help me to get them all/be more effective as a BLU, while farming the spells etc.

I assume things like Battery Charge to keep me going, cures like Magic Fruit etc. Plenilune Embrace? but are there any spells that are really effective at fighting/keeping me alive or even job traits that do you an amazing service?

Would just like a knowledgeable hand. Lol.
 Asura.Rinuko
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-05-21 04:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Im still working on my spells but just went from top to bottom and learning all. a tip is get the af hands, it makes a HUGE diffrence and cap blue magic asap.

Bookmark this page:
http://184.154.208.218/~tforum/blu/BLUMain.html
 Odin.Angeldfz
By Odin.Angeldfz 2015-05-21 04:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome, yeah, I am 5/5 on AF and relic, still working on Emp.

My BLU skill is over 9000... Wait, I mean 400. Getting there tho.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-05-21 04:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd get the healing spells and support spells first then the DD spells.

Healing/Support.
Erratic flutter (haste2)
Winds of Promy (AoE erase)
Magic Fruit (good mp cost cure)
Battery Charge (refresh)
Occultation (shadows)
Fantod (boost but it's mainly for STP trait)
Nature Meditation (att+)

Physical/Magical.
Molting Plumage (DW trait only)
Blazing Bound (DW trait only)
Thrashing Assault (double attack)
Quad. Continuum (decent damage and DW)
Heavy Strike (double attack)
Empty Trash (double attack)
Sinker Drill (decent damage and makes darkness with CDC also gives crit damage bonus trait)
Delta Thrust (plague and DW)
Barbed Crescent (acc down and DW)
Sudden lunge (Stun and the other spell to STP)

Those spells will make it so you can DD physically.

Magical DD spells.

Subduction
Charged Whisker
Thermal Pulse
Water bomb
Memento Mori (MAB+ buff spell)
Magic hammer (recover mp based on damage done)

Ideally you do want them all but I'd get this lot first then work on the rest. Also cap your blu magic skill you will need it.
 Cerberus.Warviper
Server: Cerberus
user: Warviper
By Cerberus.Warviper 2015-05-21 05:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I also use Retinal Glare and Tourbillion alot.
[+]
 Odin.Angeldfz
By Odin.Angeldfz 2015-05-21 05:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome, thank you so much. :D

Should keep me busy for a while.

Think I even have some of the lower level spells there. :)
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-05-21 07:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a lot of others I'd say search for traits and get the spells to make them. TH for example it's handy for some stuff like dyna it's worth having and 2/3 spells were used regularly at one point that's Charged Whisker, Amorphic Spikes and Everyone's Grudge.

Though unlike what someone has already posted some of the spells were absolutely useless and won't ever be set. I'd say out of the long list of spells I have i haven't used about 60% of them.

Oh and while I remember another very useful spell is Frightening Roar which is a potent def down obviously I wouldn't bother setting it for lower end content.
[+]
 Valefor.Seranos
Server: Valefor
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-05-21 07:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's easier to tell you which ones to skip I think... because honestly, you need almost all of them.

Use the link Rinuko provided: that's your bible for finding spells. Start with ones that have beneficial traits (DW, DA/TA, MAB, etc.).
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-05-21 08:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of the all the spells up to level 70 there's 13 that would be set some of them are in niche situations. Some of them were really useful at 75 or the way up to 75 though not anymore there's really no point and if anyone even remotely suggests killer traits over higher level useful spells they need to put blu down. Don't forget they are a 99 blu going back to get spells not a level 1 which spells do I need blu. Should they get all of them?.... yes they should are they all useful no they most certainly aren't and people need to learn that they aren't useful anymore.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-05-21 08:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ideally you do want them all but I'd get this lot first then work on the rest. Also cap your blu magic skill you will need it.

Your missing several MAB traits from ones like Eyes on Me, Cursed Sphere, Sound Blade and Dream Flower. There are several other nukes like Dark Orb, Retinal Glare, Embalming Earth and Rending Deluge.

Quote:
Out of the all the spells up to level 70 there's 13 that would be set some of them are in niche situations. Some of them were really useful at 75 or the way up to 75 though not anymore there's really no point and if anyone even remotely suggests killer traits over higher level useful spells they need to put blu down. Don't forget they are a 99 blu going back to get spells not a level 1 which spells do I need blu. Should they get all of them?.... yes they should are they all useful no they most certainly aren't and people need to learn that they aren't useful anymore.

Seeing as you skipped over several MAB ones, there are evasion bonus, Accuracy Bonus ones, Attack bonus ones, stuns, defense bonus, magic defense bonus, a few dual wields and even autorefresh. About the only ones that I think are truly useless are Self Destruct and Final Sting. There are many BLU spells that are extremely situational, but very few that are completely useless because you can always use them to fill your final 2~4 points for +stat / HP / ect.

Now stop trying to rationalize why you can't bothered finishing your spell list and go learn the rest.
[+]
 Bismarck.Herzins
Server: Bismarck
user: Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2015-05-21 09:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I just started learning my blu spells, what a task... I swear.

Anyways, I am sorta new to the job, and I had a thought. Has SE ever been suggested to have "Spellsets" for Blue? I explain, let's take for example the "craft history" option, I think it would be cool to have like a set/history of spells, that way you customize your sets and not have to remember what spells you used or replaced. (DW set, MAB set, TH set, etc etc). I am not talking about macros by the way, I'm taking about sets for your spells ;)
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-05-21 13:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Quote:

Your missing several MAB traits from ones like Eyes on Me, Cursed Sphere, Sound Blade and Dream Flower. There are several other nukes like Dark Orb, Retinal Glare, Embalming Earth and Rending Deluge.

Quote:

Seeing as you skipped over several MAB ones, there are evasion bonus, Accuracy Bonus ones, Attack bonus ones, stuns, defense bonus, magic defense bonus, a few dual wields and even autorefresh. About the only ones that I think are truly useless are Self Destruct and Final Sting. There are many BLU spells that are extremely situational, but very few that are completely useless because you can always use them to fill your final 2~4 points for +stat / HP / ect.

Now stop trying to rationalize why you can't bothered finishing your spell list and go learn the rest.

First of all I'd suggest you go learn English again as you have quoted me saying this.

"Ideally you will want them all but I'd get this lot first then get the rest"

Yes I'm not going to list every blu spell in one post I've listed the more important ones to get they will make them be able to jump into most events. I have also said they should search traits they want and to go learn them in that order instead of writing down all the spells individually.

Now sweet cheeks I know you like being right all the time but you are slightly off on this one. If you want to carry provide me with a reasonable situation for every blu spell in the game to have to be unavoidably set and at ilvl119 then that would be nice. No you can't use them to set traits with a higher total set points or a lot more spells set than using less higher level spells or using sub job traits or as a underpowered substitute where a higher level spell is more appropriate.

Apart from some of the new ones I've learned every spell while leveling blu to 99 which I did before level cap increased. I plan on doing after I finish regearing as I've got most of the important spells that were added after Sinker drill. I honestly can't remember the last time I ever needed autorefresh let alone needing to use more than 2 spells to set it both of which are over level 70 both of which are useful. Att/def bonus you get from /war, acc bonus you can get from higher level spells and the DW spells that are set are all above level 70. Normally I set Quad, Delta, Barbed, Molting and Blazing Bound for DW3 so none of them got missed out only one I did miss out was Mortal ray but again over 70.

Stun oh you mean headbutt which hasn't been used since they added Sudden Lunge and it can also make STP which headbutt can't. I seriously hope you didn't mean Blitzstrahl as there's a much better and AoE magical Stun.

Like said in a previous post every blu should have every spell but a lot of them in 2015 aren't useful.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-05-21 14:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Herzins said: »

Anyways, I am sorta new to the job, and I had a thought. Has SE ever been suggested to have "Spellsets" for Blue? I explain, let's take for example the "craft history" option, I think it would be cool to have like a set/history of spells, that way you customize your sets and not have to remember what spells you used or replaced. (DW set, MAB set, TH set, etc etc). I am not talking about macros by the way, I'm taking about sets for your spells ;)

They have that as a plugin, it's called Azuresets and lets you do exactly that.
 Bismarck.Herzins
Server: Bismarck
user: Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2015-05-21 14:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Plugin? Windower?
 Valefor.Seranos
Server: Valefor
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-05-26 07:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Plugin? Windower?

It's a Windower Addon. Allows you to create sets to be reused more easily than just remembering.
By kazekostryge 2015-05-26 12:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be interested in an all adoulin/abby guide for learning spells with absolute minimal going back to low level areas, or even a small list of spells that cannot be learned in adoulin and abby. Many monster types are represented in adoulin that are overlooked in the hunting grounds guides. Would make it much easier to chain kill for spell learning if high level monsters were the targets.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-05-26 12:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

kazekostryge said: »
Would be interested in an all adoulin/abby guide for learning spells with absolute minimal going back to low level areas.

If you do this, you're intentionally gimping yourself as a blu.

I'm not going to claim I'm the best; I don't have all spells myself, not yet, because I'm lazy.

There are some from these low level areas that you're going to want.

Bandwagoning BLU is not possible; it takes time and effort and sometimes that means whacking away at some randomly annoying mob with a Warp Cudgel while it cycles through every TP move but the one you want.

Now, some of the better sells do come from Adoulin zones and Abyssea. Subduction (Cirdas Caverns has a couple maroliths) is one of the better nukes, and Molting Plumage comes from tulfaire in Marjami Ravine.

You can get a heal (Restoral) from gears in Aby Ugly, as well as Rail Cannon (I think that's the name... I always call it my railgun), and Diffusion Ray off the chariots next to the gears.

You're going to have to hunt, though. There's a site called the Blue Mage Hunting Grounds that helps a lot, and there's another
whose name escapes me that has a listing function so you can keep track of what you have.

BLU is fun, and it can be fairly powerful. It's not just handed to you, though.
By kazekostryge 2015-05-26 16:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Gimping myself how? Im almost positive you can get majority of all spells from adoulin/abby minus promyvion and aht urgan ones. Just would love if someone would do the work and list out the high level mobs and their locations. I've learned a ton of spells from adoulin already. An example being ceizak battlegrounds has scorpions, ladybugs, spiders,chapulis, etc.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-05-26 16:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Some spells, sure. But not all. You're missing a tremendous amount of utility. Adoulin mobs, at least to my knowledge, do not have: magic fruit, thermal pulse, charged whisker, amorphic spikes, everyone's grudge, barrier tusk, magic barrier, winds of promyvion, white wind, diffusion ray, vanity dive, frenetic rip, memento mori, occultation, cocoon, blank gaze, geist wall, magic hammer, MP drainkiss, erratic flutter, barbed crescent, delta thrust, quadratic continuum, mortal ray, blazing bound, heavy strike, thrashing assault, sudden lunge, fantod, or battery charge. And those are only the ones I could think up without really looking into it.

And yes, every single one of those spells either provides a needed trait, provides magic damage capabilities, or has needed utility/survivability benefits.

http://184.154.208.218/~tforum/blu/BLUMain.html This is your bible for magic hunting. Learn it, love it, live it.

Blue mage is probably the most versatile job in the game, but it requires you to dedicate time and effort into it. With the proper gear, spells, and knowledge of the job, BLU is arguably the strongest DD in the game right now. If you want to play blue mage to its utmost, you need to put in the effort.
By kazekostryge 2015-05-26 21:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

magic fruit- opoopos yorcia weald and abby
thermal pulse- wamoura campa abby attohwa
charged whisker- cuoerl abby attohwa
amorphic spikes- flan abby konstacht
everyones grudge- tonberry abby konstacht
barrier tusk- marid abby vunkerl/uleguerand
magic barrier- ahriman abby konstacht
white wind- puk abby vunkerl/altepa
Diffusion ray - abby ulegeurand (multiple chariots)
vanity dive- meanderer abby konstacht tier 1 vnm pop
frenetic rip - imps abby konstacht
memento mori - corse abby tahrongi
occultation - mediator abby latheine tier 1 vnm pop
cocoon - crawlers all over abby and adoulin
blank gaze - opoopos same as above^
geist wall - efts foret de hennetiel morimar basalt fields abby
magic hammer - poroggo abby la theine
Mp drainkiss - leech foret de hennetiel abby konstacht
barbed crescent- fomor outer rakaznaar
delta thrust - Peiste morimar basalt fields abby misareaux
mortal ray - taurus abby vunkerl
blazing bound - limule abby konstacht and abby la theine
heavy strike - golem abby ulegeurand
sudden lunge- ladybug ceizak battlegrounds, yahse hunting grounds abby altepa
fantod - hippogryph woh gates (kinda hard though)
battery charge- magic potabby grauberg

non-abby/adoulin:
winds of promyvion- promyvion-can get in abby but tier 2 vnm
quad continuum - promyvion can get in abby but tier 2 vnm
erratic flutter- assault wamoura farm raid
thrashing assault- meebles

looks like you can get pretty much majority of all spells in abby/adoulin
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-05-26 22:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't see the Abyssea section of your comment. Yes, Abyssea has a ton of mobs to learn from. My list was specifically from my knowledge of Adoulin zones.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-05-30 13:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Note: I'm almost 100% sure you can't get CW in Aby Attowa. Or I was just terribly unlucky.

Coeurls in Jugner (S) were good for it, though
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-30 14:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure I got it in aby tahrongi.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-05-30 14:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You can learn Charged Whisker from the Coeurl NM in Abyssea Attowha, he pretty spams it.
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-05-30 14:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I went 1/1 on Charged Whisker on the Lynxes in Meriphataud[S]. Only took 2 mobs to see it.

On another note, Eyes On Me has been the bane of my existence. I'm currently 0 for... 0 on it, as I've killed over 250 Ahrimans and have not seen the move once.

Is there any NM that is known to spam this move or anything? I tried Abyssea-Kon and Fachans in Uleguerand Range, and I just get a whole lot of Hypnosis immediately followed by Flare or some crap.

Kind of funny how much I saw Everyone's Grudge while farming Light of Pennance, and now all I see is Light of Pennance while farming Everyone's Grudge.
By Chyula 2015-05-30 14:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

dual wield excalipoor II go!
[+]
First Page 2