End Game BLM Gear Sets?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » End game BLM gear sets?
End game BLM gear sets?
By Creativity 2015-04-30 12:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse my noobness,

I've been trying to find a topic or post about gear sets for an end game BLM but job postings sort of fell off the map since 2013.

That's if gear swapping is still a thing. I took a break before the cap was raised so I'm not exactly sure what the end game field requires anymore. I'm coming from the Demon's helm/Igqira Weskit era :x

So I guess my question is, can anyone explain to me what sets I should have and what gear to go for via endgame? (Rest set, MAB set, dark set etc)
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-04-30 12:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Decent Blm Guide
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2015-04-30 12:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Creativity said: »
(Rest set)
The weaponskill Myrkr, /sch manifestation aspir, /rdm convert. and reforged AF body to lower the MP cost of spells. Resting shouldn't happen under normal conditions.

{MAB set, dark set etc)
Stun: 26 equipment haste. 24 with Ionis buff, and Fast Cast equipment everywhere else. Oh, use an iLvl staff.
Drain/Aspir: There's Pixie Hairpin+1, and all of helios equipment set can get drain/aspir potency augments.

MAB set: In addition to the BLM threads, check GEO & SCH threads. It's a lot of helios, hagondes pants/body usually.

That's if gear swapping is still a thing. I took a break before the cap was raised so I'm not exactly sure what the end game field requires anymore. I'm coming from the Demon's helm/Igqira Weskit era :x
You've been gone a long time, welcome back. It will take you a while to get back up to speed. Take your time, and get some trusts to solo some of it because server populations are not what they were when you left.
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Main_Page has a lot of the newer info, though oldwiki still gets some decent updates, usually not as much for new equipment though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-04-30 12:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
(Rest set)
The weaponskill Myrkr, /sch manifestation aspir, /rdm convert. and reforged AF body to lower the MP cost of spells. Resting shouldn't happen under normal conditions.

{MAB set, dark set etc)
Stun: 26 equipment haste. 24 with Ionis buff, and Fast Cast equipment everywhere else. Oh, use an iLvl staff.
Drain/Aspir: There's Pixie Hairpin+1, and all of helios equipment set can get drain/aspir potency augments.

MAB set: In addition to the BLM threads, chekck GEO & SCH threads. It's a lot of helios, hagondes pants/body usually.

You've been gone a long time, welcome back. It will take you a while to get back up to speed. Take your time, and get some trusts to solo some of it because server populations are not what they were when you left.
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Main_Page has a lot of the newer info, though oldwiki still gets some decent updates, usually not as much for new equipment though.

Drain/Aspir, you can add Fucho-no-Obi. And it's funny you mention /SCH Manifestation Aspir. I try to promote this to a few blms int shell, but they stick with single target only and complain over MP.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2015-04-30 12:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

manaburn party in woh gates getting 3~5k capacity points per kill depending on equipment. everyone except the scholar /sch for manifestation aspir. pull a group of acuex. sleepga, aspir. ga/ra nuke them, next pull. the cp/hour was fapworthy.
I was the Lv.1 geo leeching to 99 ... it took like 1 or 2 hours.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Warusha
Server: Lakshmi
user: Serithus
By Lakshmi.Warusha 2015-04-30 16:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The most important resource I can suggest to you on your BLM adventure is a live journal by an old player named Kaeko.

http://kanican.livejournal.com/

As far as gearsets go, you have access to 160 gear slots, and it's easy to use them all up.

A lot of the gear you will eventually want may take a bit of work to obtain, so it's important to try to prioritize your time. First I would get a keraunos from alluvion rala skirmish, followed closely by your af1+1 119 body. With a Keraunos, you'll see the biggest change in how BLM performs, with the least amount of resources required to obtain it. I can't overstate enough how great the af body piece is, and how lucky BLM is to not have to farm seidr cotehardie. Next I would work on your hagondes gear, which also doubles nicely as a PDT set(after augments). After obtaining even some fairly poor augments, I personally think it's best to spend as much time as possible on your fastcast set.

Here's my most recent BLM gearswap file. You'll see much of the gear I use, although it may be confusing when you look at my augments I have listed due to incomplete descriptions on the items. When you are using gearswap to swap gear with similar names and different augments, you simply need to tell it to use the piece of gear and the unique augment that separate the similar pieces.

http://pastebin.com/Negnj3Fm
[+]
By Creativity 2015-04-30 17:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow! Thanks for all this info. Just what I needed!

Thank you all :]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2015-04-30 23:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

very nice .lua. I noticed that you don't swap in the wicce chausses(+1) for -ja spells, care to elaborate?

Other than that, I've already started to tweak yours for personal use, I hope you don't mind, it's very graceful and complete.
 Lakshmi.Warusha
Server: Lakshmi
user: Serithus
By Lakshmi.Warusha 2015-05-02 06:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Thanks for the compliment :) I don't swap Chausses for -aja spells simply because I haven't been in a fight that lasted longer than 1 minute and I planned to rotate a single element in a very long time.

I typically rotate spells in the following manner and order of importance:
-ja, Tier 6, Tier 5, AMII, repeat

At the moment I have 16% instacast gear and capped fastcast on elemental magic spells. So when a spell instacasts(Which gearswap will ensure you're wearing the proper high damage set you intended to use for elemental magic), I simply either reuse the spell that just went off instantly, or I use a spell that is higher on the list. I am lucky to play with some very well geared players so I often have marchx2, balladx2 + haste and the spell list I mentioned above is all you'll need to use assuming you're using your af1+1 body to maintain the high MP cost.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2015-05-03 11:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

agreed- the luxury of having maxxed out brds, a dedicated rdm, and a couple idris geos in the shell means I honestly only use the AF1+1 reforged for soloing.
 Asura.Hoshiku
Server: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-05-03 12:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I rarely use the af1 +1 body for events. Between myrkr, radial arcana, and indi-refresh from an idris geo I usually have the mp available to keep spamming high tier nukes. On the other hand af1 +1 is a godsend for soloing.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-05-03 14:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As I always have Idris GEOs and ballads available and still often opt for AF+1 body due to MP issues, I felt some math behind it would be prudent.. these statements seem extremely outlandish.

you need to spend 3437 mp to get a 60% mp return on myrkr with moonshade and occult acumen+30 on blm main, even with an excellent mp set you're looking at a return of like 1400 on taru

with /sch spamming stone(cheapest spell), you have:

214 mp stone6 (5.6 seconds with reload time and no instacast)
141 mp stone5 (5 seconds with reload time and no instacast)
269 mp stoneja (4.9 seconds with reload time and no instacast)
252 mp quake ii (5.5 seconds with reload time and no instacast)

cycling all 4, we come up with a 21 second cycle that costs 876 mp(whopping 1281 on lightning!) .. after conserve mp procs(35% if you use helios band and ombre+1, best case scenario for cmp that i can see, with average savings of 28.125%) this can be reduced to 789 mp(1154 on lightning)

4 cycles and an extra nuke will spend 3156 mp and merit a 2700tp myrkr, netting you a mp loss of 1756 / 81 seconds(if you ignore that you'd run out of mp and have to myrkr at low tp by halfway through the second cycle)

you'd need 65/tick refresh to maintain that, and earth is the cheapest element

-triple gjall+pants ballads, with highest marcatoed is 25 mp/tick

-a 9/tick idle set is active 2/3 of the time resulting in effective 6/tick

-Refresh II is 8/tick. (Never mind that RDM is a complete waste of a slot. Not even worth entertaining indi-refresh, dual geo should be rocking acumen/malaise/focus/languor.)

Conclusion
To have your MP last 3 minutes, you'd have to be nuking(counting cooldown) with only stone and less than half of the time you are active. You'd need triple ballads, refresh II, and to Myrkr at 1000-1200 tp every time. /RDM comes out even worse. This is all assuming you don't have a laevateinn, in that case the first time you have to put up aftermath you'll run out of MP before hitting 2900 tp for that viduno.

AF+1 body isn't end all, especially when you consider how fast a full alliance will down anything that BLMs are used on. By relying on the mob dying quickly enough, effective use of radial arcana, and constant buffs you can be effective in another body. However, if you're in a small group(and why not, 2 groups of 9 will produce much more loot than one of 18 in vagary, maybe even 3 of 6) you're definitely gimping yourself by not using it. It only takes a very short amount of time not casting to lose all the benefit you've gained from your other bodypiece.

If you really want that extra damage you could replace your ballad1+2 with int etudes, marcato sage, and gain 47 int. This will still result in having more effective MP to spend than if you had used any other body and kept the ballads, and effectively negate the difference between bodypieces. It also reduces your myrkr requirement to at 3000 tp, increasing your available time to cast by 15%+.
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-05-03 19:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to wonder what you are doing that plouton from 90% to dead lives for 3 minutes?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-05-04 05:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool one liner, but I already addressed it:

Quote:
AF+1 body isn't end all, especially when you consider how fast a full alliance will down anything that BLMs are used on. By relying on the mob dying quickly enough, effective use of radial arcana, and constant buffs you can be effective in another body.

If you do perf+plouton every run, you're most likely popping plouton either at the same time or immediately after perf. If you're running with a small group, you're not dropping both in 3 minutes. Even perfectly geared players in a perfect setup will see benefit from AF+1 under these circumstances.

Most players are NOT in these circumstances, and will see even more benefit from it. Any gain from a high end nuking body is marginal at best and unlikely to be worth using ballads over etudes.

To top it off, the 3 minute example is using the cheapest element, 50% efficiency on casttime, and no instacast procs. If you're spamming thunder, you can run out your MP pool in 80 seconds. Makes me wonder how many mages you're bringing, or how much time you spend thumbing your *** between nukes.

It's pretty basic math, the only case where it's not really worth it is MBing.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-05-04 06:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Equip this in your sets.idle.field to become the best Black Mage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDlYtFpEHAA&list=PL6BE1C0F958B8261D
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-05-04 12:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You shouldn't be doing perf + plouton every run as that's a waste of a heck of a lot of body ki - and seeing how the rarest drop is very rare indeed that would be tragic.

Our plouton fights go pretty much as follows: nuke tier 1s and let the thf get in some damage from 100% - 90%, discern elemental weakness - throw an aja spell while the scholar makes the skillchain, burst a t6 and t3, throw a t4 and perhaps an aja spell at which point I myrkr and the element changes. Discern elemental weakness - throw an aja spell while the scholar makes the skillchain, burst a t6 and it's dead. There is very little thumb in butt time there because the bursts do tremendous damage. If you're not bursting you're wasting time.
[+]
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-05-04 17:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You should also be poping plouton before perf so the poper gets plouton key item back.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-05-06 21:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have an up-to-date meteor set? 4-5 blms doing a timed meteor will drop perf + plouton under 90% instantly if geared well.
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2015-05-06 23:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

does anyone still use Sorceror's ring?
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2015-05-09 20:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i vote someone make a new/update BLM guide >.> the kaboom one is outdated by like a year+ ><
[+]
 Asura.Ajirha
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2015-05-11 09:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Anyone have an up-to-date meteor set? 4-5 blms doing a timed meteor will drop perf + plouton under 90% instantly if geared well.
can try it but considering you use ES you can use your full mab set. even a not top geared blm should do about 13-14k solo. i dont remember the meteor mechanics but if it's just added, sure do a 4-5 link meteor, if it's plutyplied, maybe 2 or 3 will be better.

now, the thing is you want to give your thf some time so dont drop it bellow 90% instantly. i know no one cares about the platemail so there's no point in TH, right?
[+]
By geigei 2015-05-11 10:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Many black mages are stuck in mab hagondes nuking triple digits on anything that matters.
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2015-05-11 10:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean anywhere you have 5 idris geos?
By geigei 2015-05-11 10:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish i had so many geo available on my server.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2015-05-11 19:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quit wishing, get a friend to PL you, and have GEO from 1-99 in 4 hours then
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-05-11 21:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ajirha said: »
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
can try it but considering you use ES you can use your full mab set. even a not top geared blm should do about 13-14k solo. i dont remember the meteor mechanics but if it's just added, sure do a 4-5 link meteor, if it's plutyplied, maybe 2 or 3 will be better.

now, the thing is you want to give your thf some time so dont drop it bellow 90% instantly. i know no one cares about the platemail so there's no point in TH, right?

But using a full MAB set wont necessarily do the most damage. Elemental Magic Skill and INT feed directly into the damage as well. I'll feed the new Emp gear into the spreadsheet and see if full MAB comes out ahead of a mixes MAB/Elem. Magic set