What Is YOUR Worst Zone To Run Through On Foot?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What is YOUR worst zone to run through on foot?
What is YOUR worst zone to run through on foot?
 Phoenix.Lujei
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Lujei
By Phoenix.Lujei 2015-04-24 09:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely the Garden/Palace in Sea. I once knew parts of them due to spending so much time in there, but they're so horrible that I've blocked them from my memory and still manage to be unable to find my goal.

Right after those comes the dumb Chasm. Why SE thought it was a good idea to put Abyssea in there is something I will never understand.

I'm very good with the two Jungles, really. Yhoator is by far the easier of the two.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-24 10:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Pso'Xja.

Even though you only had to go through there for missions and possibly one NM, it still sucked.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 10:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Palace/Garden never really bothered me.

Though they were still a headache for two reasons:

1) That *** AWFUL colors. ***gave me a headache.

2) No one else could manage to navigate them, so my wife and I ended up leading like three consecutive linkshell's Sea runs despite not being officers just because we knew our way around the places.

Pso'xja can be irritating, but I like it there a lot, so it's a trade I'll take. Similarly, I love Outer Ra'Kaznar just because it reminds me of awesome dwarven halls. You know, the badass fantasy race we were denied in this game. ._.;
[+]
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-04-24 10:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pso'xja was fun - especially during the level 30 cap days. I've been rocking the Seers+1 set for lockstyle to commemorate Chains of Promathia memories.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-24 11:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Pso'xja has one of my favorite tracks in XI and Outer Ra'Kaznar stays true to form on having an 'endgame' zone that's just frankly gigantic, dangerous and confusing.

A pity Inner Court is an Arrapago Reef in terms of waste. Seeing all those fomor, demons and vampyrs walking around is damn intimidating.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-04-24 11:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Striker said: »
I'm gonna say Uleguerand Range
True sight mobs that link with flee speed demons and both will literally track you to the ends of the zone.
[+]
 Sylph.Elwynbelwyn
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Elwynbelwyn 2015-04-24 15:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cape Riverne before the level cap was removed was probably the worst. True-sight hippogriffs, having to farm scales from mobs above your level, twisty map. And (from post-cap experience) it seems to be implemented in such a way that party members in different parts of the zone won't even show up on map markers. It used to take like two hours to get to a mission fight BCNM because people are stupid and somebody was always getting aggro and/or lost trying to follow invisible people.

Then there are those split ToAU zones where you have to remember exactly which teleporters to take from Nyzul, or which tunnels from Wajoam/Blafhau to get to each sub-map.

Yorcia Weald is the new most annoying zone. The map gives you no clue where you can and can't go, true-sight panopts, and the timed shrubbery gates (only open during certain game day hours) that SE apparently got rid of after a few updates because they were such a pain in the ***.

Also, some CoP zones have really bad maps, and you had to go through non-soloable stuff to get them back in the day. Promy maps are just fuzzy stains, Aqueducts don't have half the zone marked, Sacrarium maze is just six squares, and I think the Riverne map still doesn't have overlay markers where the displacements are. For all of those I just use the wiki maps on my laptop.

Bahamut.Striker said: »
I was running my alt character with my girlfriend through Jugner (S) to get to Sandy (S) for our first time there. I hadn't done that run since WoTG came out. I raged so hard at that map it got me wondering what everyone elses most hated zone was.
The right way to do that is to first unlock Windurst (Bastok works too, if you like the smell of smog), join the Cobras, then do a campaign op or two for allied notes. Then you can zone into Jugner (S) from Batallia, retrace back home, and simply warp to the outpost. Otherwise you basically have to go all the way through Vunkerl (S) to get anywhere in Jugner. Vunkerl is a pretty bad zone to have to run through to get back to south Jugner, but it's still not the ***-you-maze of one-way drops that Jugner is.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and trying to get to just the right cave at the top of Ulegerand Range by sliding down the cliff. And that one glacier thingy that only opens during clear weather. At least that one has a warp point behind it now. It also lets you reach one of the coolest areas in the game, an outside view in the BCNM area.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-24 15:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hotkarl said: »
Any zone with no music.
It's possible, through Windower lua's, to get music to play in zones that have none. With custom music files, you can even expand it and add songs so you're not stuck with simply reusing old tunes again and again.

For example, La Theine/Jugner/Jugner/Vunkerl all play the Bravely Default world map theme when I'm there.
[+]
By Corfios 2015-04-24 19:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

first thing that comes to mind for me is trying to start the wings of the goddess story-line and attempting to unlock the past as a level 50, running through zones filled with level 70's-75's. I died a lot.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-04-24 19:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Running to Kirin's room (or rather, getting back to the pad to Kirin's room again and again and again and again and again...on a job that had to use oils/powders) was the worst ever, for me. :p

Second worst--running through Port Jeuno when the Xmas music was on. ^^
[+]
By protectorchrono 2015-04-24 19:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Omg...Jugner Forest [S]....all those damn BLOCKADES!!!(I mean come on W....T....F...the "???" and or the exit is right there!! Why the flying f^$k do I have to go around!?) Ugh.
[+]
 Asura.Echandra
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2015-04-24 20:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

my worst zone would be sky during the hnmls days. Not because it was hard for me personally to get around. But drag along 17+ of the most no-sense of direction having fools that I was proud to call my LS and I didn't even want to celebrate the day I finally didn't have anyone in the wishlist to ragecry over byakko's haidate....I just wanted to leave sky and never come back!
[+]
 Asura.Kogasho
user: kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2015-04-24 21:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the whole The Garden of Ru'Hmet climbing towers back in the gap was pretty brutal
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-04-24 23:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Echandra said: »
my worst zone would be sky during the hnmls days. Not because it was hard for me personally to get around. But drag along 17+ of the most no-sense of direction having fools that I was proud to call my LS and I didn't even want to celebrate the day I finally didn't have anyone in the wishlist to ragecry over byakko's haidate....I just wanted to leave sky and never come back!

Oh. The joys of being in another area of those zones, trolling the Yellow/Blue doors as other linkshells were trying to get to MG or Ulli
 Sylph.Elwynbelwyn
By Sylph.Elwynbelwyn 2015-04-24 23:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kogasho said: »
I think the whole The Garden of Ru'Hmet climbing towers back in the gap was pretty brutal
I rushed them on WHM/THF back in the day. Rush through the aggro with Reraise up, hope you can get to the elevator in time, if not, just be sure to die someplace safe where you can get up. Then wait 5 minutes after taking the elevator for Flee to reset, and do it all over again.

Corfios said: »
first thing that comes to mind for me is trying to start the wings of the goddess story-line and attempting to unlock the past as a level 50, running through zones filled with level 70's-75's. I died a lot.
If you stick to the main paths, there really isn't much aggro, and you can learn where it is, though usually the hard way. I can unlock all zones on a level 1 mule, though I need oil/powder to get through the northlands on a level 1.

But the last time I tried to unlock WoTG zones on a level 1, Sandworm was waiting in West Sarutabaruta (S) right by the tower, and I quickly became Tarutaru-flavored worm food. After I switched to my main and avenged the little guy, I had to run all the way from Jeuno all over again.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-04-24 23:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Yusshiryushi said: »
Attohwa Chasm - worst zone EVER!!!

God yes. And it does kill me that they had to bring that garbage zone back for Abyssea.

Another personal un-favorite is Arrapago Reef. Huge zone, annoying locked gates, one-way traps. I still get confused by the maps sometimes.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Guthrie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Lebeau
By Quetzalcoatl.Guthrie 2015-04-24 23:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I always hated the Jungles and Crawler's Nest.
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-04-25 00:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I hated beaucedine glacier - just because it took so long to run through. If you ask my linkshell though they'll tell you that all zones are places where I get lost.
 Bahamut.Striker
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Striker 2015-04-25 05:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Corfios said: »
I feel you, when we hit 30 my girlfriend wanted to play RNG so I picked COR to pair with it... Let's just say that COR is not a friendly job to unlock at level 30...
 Cerberus.Drayco
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2015-04-25 07:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm blown away nobody has mentioned Riverne site A01 and B01 @ 75 cap. When sneak/invis would last less than the recast timer and all gryphs would make getting to Bv2 take longer than the actual fight.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-04-25 08:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
Personally I hated beaucedine glacier - just because it took so long to run through. If you ask my linkshell though they'll tell you that all zones are places where I get lost.

I still identify where certain places are in Beaucidine Glacier by its old dynamis mob locations. Orcs on the bottom, then Quadavs, and so on up
 Asura.Dakenx
user: Thebatman
By Asura.Dakenx 2015-04-25 10:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
I'm blown away nobody has mentioned Riverne site A01 and B01 @ 75 cap. When sneak/invis would last less than the recast timer and all gryphs would make getting to Bv2 take longer than the actual fight.
Someone did post it. Just called it cape riverne. I think my least favorite zones in the game are: 1. Port Bastok 2. Bastok Mines 3. Bastok Markets. 4. Bastok Metalworks... that's right **** you bastok!
[+]
 Phoenix.Leaden
user: Leaden
By Phoenix.Leaden 2015-04-25 10:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm suprised nobody hasnt said Valkrum Dunes yet...
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2015-04-25 10:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My places are beucedine glacier (heading to feiyin) and both altepa deserts (easy to get lost during sandy weather without maps).

Walking to and lighting the lamps to get into the sacrificial chamber also sucks too.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-25 11:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyzul Isle, when you need to trek down a crazy long series of hallways to eventually find that one last lamp or enemy.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-04-25 11:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

For me tavnazia lol cannot tell you how many times I went to aqueducts entrance instead of sealions den
By CapnCrass 2015-04-25 15:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ordelle's Caves.

"Is this the correct spot to get up this step? Is this? How 'bout here? No? Maybe an inch to the right... Got it! Now for the next one..."
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-25 16:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

from recent times... yorica sure is a pita
 Siren.Jedd
Server: Siren
user: Jedd
By Siren.Jedd 2015-04-25 18:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yorcia mainly because of the horrible map. What kinda pants-on-head cartographers do the Scouts' employ? The paths are shown by the gaps between the trees, really? Just draw lines like with everything else.

Outer Ra'Kaznar is also pretty bad. Aside from not showing the dead ends on the map (WTF?) it's yet another SoA zone that's mostly pointlessly huge hallways of nothing.

Beaucedine is also odd in that the past version has that little hole shortcut near where the outpost will be, but it's not there in the present. Did the rock magically grow back and fill it?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-04-25 20:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Jedd said: »

Beaucedine is also odd in that the past version has that little hole shortcut near where the outpost will be, but it's not there in the present. Did the rock magically grow back and fill it?

Somebody spammed enter through the cutscenes... It's a different dimension, not literately the past.