What Jobs Are High Priority For End Game Content?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What jobs are high priority for end game content?
What jobs are high priority for end game content?
By Creativity 2015-04-16 12:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This might have been asked already but my searching skills are a D-

I'm asking because lots of people are saying that nowadays, you have to play a job you don't like in order to get end game gear for a job you enjoy playing. I took a break back in 2012 and recently made a new character on Asura. I wanted to main DRK, DRG or WAR but people are saying those jobs are still laughable (loldrg) If this is true, well what's the point of even playing a job you enjoy if you can't really use it for end game content?

Also, Can anyone give me a rundown on this or direct me to a post that was previously made about preferred end game jobs? Thanks!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-16 12:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO
WHM
PLD
BLU / SAM / RNG
BLM
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-04-16 12:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget BRD and COR for some buffing jobs. Also, if you get into a group with friends, your job will matter a lot less. However, it's a sad truth that some content does need specific jobs, as it's either incredibly unfriendly to a specific role or has a niche gimmick to exploit.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-16 12:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

any job im not actively playing
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-04-16 12:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Don't forget BRD and COR for some buffing jobs. Also, if you get into a group with friends, your job will matter a lot less. However, it's a sad truth that some content does need specific jobs, as it's either incredibly unfriendly to a specific role or has a niche gimmick to exploit.

This is true in that there's more understanding and flexibility when doing content with friends and/or LS mates. I took a RUN yesterday as main tank for a Plouton run and it worked out just fine. He required more support than a PLD would but the event went super smooth regardless.
By Creativity 2015-04-16 12:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

22 jobs and end game preference is left to only 8-9 jobs in an already low populated game. Bah, go figure.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-04-16 13:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Highest priority is always given to the core components for an event.

You're going to need a healer and support 100% of the time. Its the way you phrased the question. You have options when it comes to tanks and DDs at this stage of the game.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-04-16 13:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What Zerowone said. There are some roles that are required for every event. You are always going to need a WHM and support roles, regardless of the event. Then, depending on the content, different DDs perform better than others. When a tank is called for, people gravitate towards PLD because it's the safer and more understood option, whereas RUN is less known by the playerbase.

There are definitely large discrepancies among the DD hierarchy these days, but for lower events, it matters much less. I don't care what DDs I take to a delve run as long as we win.
 Cerberus.Logical
user: cronix
By Cerberus.Logical 2015-04-16 13:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Excluded from the list above is RDM - although it is substantially niche in application, a majority of events can find a use for a very well geared, competent RDM (who has a sharp looking nuke/MB set, cap cure potency set, and a full M.acc/enfeebling set, and can land spells reliably). It works nicely in some Delve 2.0 runs, very handy in Cirdas Skirmish, can do Yorcia 2.0 Skirmish (just more difficult to one-shot), and it's handy in Vagary (although you may be doing a substantial amount of cross-alliance haste-II-ing).

On another note, RNG has dropped a bit more towards disuse (although is not completely extinguished) in terms of group composition, given all the mage-heavy events we're been given lately.

Of course, if you're looking to get into every group and/or be the savior of your friend's runs by having excellent in-demand job availability, then you should level a spread of mages (WHM or BRD, and GEO or BLM, will let you fill a desired spot in vitrually all content). If you want a little more diversity in your playstyle and want to level/gear the minimum number of jobs but still retain a mixture of play experience, I'd say PLD and GEO is an extremely viable combination. Both will get you into most pickup Vagary runs, and PLD is an excellent option for any high-tier battlefield fights you run, as well as a few Delve runs, AA II, etc, and GEO is highly sought after in Vagary, Delve, and works just fine as a nuker in Yorcia Skirmish (or bookkeeper), and is an excellent addition to Cirdas/Rala runs.
By protectorchrono 2015-04-16 13:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Really though that's how the current era of FFXI is, Blame SE for this. :)

Really, I'd say level the jobs you want, and don't give a f*%k what others think. Make your own groups/make a linkshell/join a linkshell that allows you to play what you want so you don't have to listen to people bit*hing about what job you NEED to play. You are paying for this old game, so YOU are entitled to play it as you want.

Also to those who still say DRG is (loldrg)in this day and age I have two words to say to that: f$%k you. :) DRG was my first 75 and 99 back in the day and it's still one of my favorite jobs. While it may not be as OP as SAM or the nerfed Rudra THF, it's still a very versatile DD job with so much potential (If SE would've devoted more time to enhance it more, but they are lazy *** so it's not surprising.)

Play what you want, it's you're money and your time, don't let others make you think leveling jobs that THEY think isn't end game worthy deter you from leveling what you love.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-04-16 13:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG has dropped a bit from the AA/DM days where it was basically required, but we've used the job quite a bit in Vagary.

On that note, it's bizarre how melee-unfriendly Vagary is with current strategies. If this is going to be the second-to-last major content update, S-E has succeeded in alienating the largest part of the player base at the worst possible time.

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
GEO
WHM
PLD
BLU / SAM / RNG
BLM

Pretty much. Geomancer is just a phenomenal job in the current game paradigm. Seekers of Adoulin is worthwhile just for geomancer alone. White mage is a requirement for almost every fight. Paladin I'd probably put down a notch because you don't use paladin for everything. In pure damage dancer is competitive/better than SAM and BLU, but it's kind of a dark horse. Black mage is really necessary again with recent updates.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-16 13:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When all is said and done, SE ends support with mage domination.

Apply cold water to that meleeburn.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-04-16 13:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG

A boy can dream ; ;

Seriously though.. bring your token Angon DRG to all long fights.
By Creativity 2015-04-16 13:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Moral of the story, level mage jobs or cancel your sub.

Got it!
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-04-16 14:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Creativity said: »
Moral of the story, level mage jobs or cancel your sub.

Got it!

There are too many players with geared melee jobs. Most shells are not looking for more melee DPS. Being a mage, especially having support jobs like GEO or BRD, or WHM, gets you a seat at the table.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
Server: Asura
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-04-16 14:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

War or Sam for zerging high tiers. Thf for some of the high tiers. Whm for anything. Brd 4 song or bust. Geo can be used in any event at this point with a massive range of buffs or debuffs. Rng and pld for safe strats on arks/dm on VD. Competent /nin or main nin for melee strat. Cor for buffing in some high tiers as well as DD in most content. Delve I or II is laughable content level at this point so even loosely following weakness mechanics is enough to clear. Though there are always more efficient ways than others. Incursion is mostly dead content at this point but within that the unique tiers of rdm debuffs shine. SCH and BLM nuke their way through yorcia alluvion skirmish with the right item used to make. Vagary is all about the magic burst for anything that matters in there.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-04-16 14:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Beastmaster. Just throw enough Beastmasters at it and you can clear anything. Include one Geo to speed the process up.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-16 14:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Most shells are not looking for more melee DPS.
Only quoting cuz we're on the same server, but my shell is just looking for cool people. I'll take people who only leveled melee jobs as long as they're sociable and not a jerk. Actually, I'll take people who don't even have a 99 job too.

It can get a little tricky when fighting something high level and everyone feels like coming a melee job, but it all works out one way or another.
[+]
By Creativity 2015-04-16 15:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Most shells are not looking for more melee DPS.
Only quoting cuz we're on the same server, but my shell is just looking for cool people. I'll take people who only leveled melee jobs as long as they're sociable and not a jerk. Actually, I'll take people who don't even have a 99 job too.

It can get a little tricky when fighting something high level and everyone feels like coming a melee job, but it all works out one way or another.

I'll have a character on Sylph soon so I'll give you a holler.
My first char was mage based. Wanted to do something different this time around and test the DD waters. But if I can't use DD end game besides SAM or MNK then whats the point ya' know?
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-04-16 15:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK is actually not a great DD these days. Many many superior DDs around. Take the job you enjoy, put effort into it, and you'll be able to compete. Player knowledge > gear > job. They all factor into the equation, but the more you understand about your job and the better you play it, the more likely you'll destroy the bandwagoners.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2015-04-16 17:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
When all is said and done, SE ends support with mage domination.

Apply cold water to that meleeburn.

much the same way the game began, though in those initial days, nuking on WHM was more efficient than on BLM.
 Sylph.Kawar
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-16 18:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD every day of the week. others are cor bard whm.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-04-16 18:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »
PLD every day of the week. others are cor bard whm.

GEO.
[+]