New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Mass recruiting for return July 2
Mass recruiting for return July 2
By Declin 2015-04-13 23:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone!

I have been planning to return to Vanadiel with all of my friends but in a new light.

We are all creating new characters ( or using characters with multiple level 1's ) and replaying the game as vanilla as possible!!

New players are more than welcome! I have constructed a website that has further details. This will not begin until July 2 as it will take some time to plan and gather a proper amount of players.

My aim is to bring back the old nostalgia of FFXI while making good friends and having better times.

You may have also heard that FFXI is partially shutting down in some ways. May this be going down with the ship.

-Declin

ffxi.sylph.shivtr.com
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2015-04-13 23:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

When one post isn't enough, make 4 more!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-13 23:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm partially interested in a Lord of the Flies way to see how long this social experiment lasts, before people start caving in to Valor Books + Homepoint Warps + Exp Rings + RoE + Trusts and many other things that honestly make the game playable.

I give it 24 hours tops until the majority are using at least two of those things, and maybe a month before the nostalgia is overrun by scheduling conflicts, and Trusts are whipped out alongside Level Synch to patch in the missing holes.

Outside of midnight musings, I wish you and whoever joins you luck. Will there be any kind of documentation of this experiment, like streaming or other things?
[+]
By protectorchrono 2015-04-14 01:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The old school FFXI was best IMO. This new school FFXI...while it has made some aspects more "convenient" for "some" people, it has nothing on the way FFXI was played 2003-2009 before Abyssea ruined the old school leveling, made people lazy and made leveling "too easy mode", among other changes SE has made.

The friends you would meet in some EXP parties, the close calls, the party wipes, the fun the old school way was is gone and is replaced with a new school that made the game to easy and made the majority of people lazy relying on Aby to level them.

Well anyway, this sounds like fun. If I was still playing I'd probably consider joining this run. But good luck on this venture, I think it's a great idea.
[+]
By Creativity 2015-04-14 07:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Count me in! I just started myself and reached level 16 WAR but I can always revert back to a level 1 job and join you.

Just an FYI, I came back for the same reason and well.. The EXP gain has gone up considerably. I got to level 16 fairly quickly only fighting mobs in West Ron. Didn't even get to reach the dunes for level 10-15 like the good ol' days! Hmph
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-14 08:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
I'm partially interested in a Lord of the Flies way to see how long this social experiment lasts, before people start caving in to Valor Books + Homepoint Warps + Exp Rings + RoE + Trusts and many other things that honestly make the game playable.

I give it 24 hours tops until the majority are using at least two of those things, and maybe a month before the nostalgia is overrun by scheduling conflicts, and Trusts are whipped out alongside Level Synch to patch in the missing holes.

Outside of midnight musings, I wish you and whoever joins you luck. Will there be any kind of documentation of this experiment, like streaming or other things?

If you really wanted to do the old school style you would sit in Jeuno with a party flag up for six hours waiting to exp !
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-04-14 08:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Creativity said: »
Count me in! I just started myself and reached level 16 WAR but I can always revert back to a level 1 job and join you.

Just an FYI, I came back for the same reason and well.. The EXP gain has gone up considerably. I got to level 16 fairly quick;y only fighting mobs in West Ron. Didn't even get to reach the dunes for level 10-15 like the good ol' days! Hmph

It'll never feel the same anymore, even if they didn't increase EXP gains. Really is absurd, I use to hate getting exp, but now I actually miss the parties in valk, qufim, crawlers nest etc.
[+]
By Kooljack 2015-04-14 10:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

protectorchrono said: »
The old school FFXI was best IMO. This new school FFXI...while it has made some aspects more "convenient" for "some" people, it has nothing on the way FFXI was played 2003-2009 before Abyssea ruined the old school leveling, made people lazy and made leveling "too easy mode", among other changes SE has made.

The friends you would meet in some EXP parties, the close calls, the party wipes, the fun the old school way was is gone and is replaced with a new school that made the game to easy and made the majority of people lazy relying on Aby to level them.

I don't get it though... just because someone has trusts etc exp'ing the 'convienant' way wouldn't they target stronger mobs and encounter basically the same thing... everyone does die... It's like the old mantra of players who cling to old school's dead whims are the social retards who never had any fun in endgame and just remember the exping oddly as amusingly unique. like they couldn't create much more interesting and fun situations outside of 'exping' LOL. I too think back to old school days of being on blm and dropping that freeze on a crab in kuftal. i enjoy the nostolgia of those times but nothing is going to bring that environment back. look to new things. if some of your most memorable times were with random pickup exp parties you didn't really enjoy other things very much i suspect. I have those old time good memories too but im not fiending for them like crack fiend over this time period. its dead. its gone. it's never going to be like it was. get over it already.

it was painfully slow... so much so that if things were changed during those old times to like how they are now, i don't think you would have this 'itch' for striped down vanilla, sh*t exp pt groups in the same way. you would just have a love for the game and all the interactions it brings. not this emo, "I need to have this nostalgia play out like how it used to and the interactions with people and the old school exp ways are the only way to achieve that"...... no. look in the mirror. stop evaluating everything based on things not in your control. man up and own what is and has happened. enjoy every second that you are in and stop wasting time thinking on the 'past' look forward with optimism for whats to come... /rantoff
[+]
By Creativity 2015-04-14 10:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack said: »

I don't get it though... just because someone has trusts etc exp'ing the 'convienant' way wouldn't they target stronger mobs and encounter basically the same thing... everyone does die... It's like the old mantra of players who cling to old school's dead whims are the social retards who never had any fun in endgame and just remember the exping oddly as amusingly unique. like they couldn't create much more interesting and fun situations outside of 'exping' LOL. I too think back to old school days of being on blm and dropping that freeze on a crab in kuftal. i enjoy the nostolgia of those times but nothing is going to bring that environment back. look to new things. if some of your most memorable times were with random pickup exp parties you didn't really enjoy other things very much i suspect. I have those old time good memories too but im not fiending for them like crack fiend over this time period. its dead. its gone. it's never going to be like it was. get over it already

Let people do what they want. It's not totally dead if people want to go about the game in an old school fashion. It's very possible to do so. You aren't paying for anyone else's sub. If someone's trying to gather a group to do this then why bash all hope? I understand what you're saying but just because some people like doing it the old fashioned way does NOT mean we didn't enjoy other events. I love dyna/garrison/sky/sea/aby.

I'm having more of a blast EXPing in each zone the old school way than I did sky rocketing to 99 in a week or so. Just speaking on my experience so far.
[+]
By Kooljack 2015-04-14 10:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

slow rolling your 'pimpness' and getting a party full of compliments on your hard earned 'scorpion harness' and playing your char where 5 other people are attuned to your moves and actions 'are' what you miss. The mindset and enjoying the game where people are admiring you for being who you are so that the other 5 people could get some xp that day are what you long for. the 'needed' feeling. that is all that this is coming from.. this little immature 'needed' to feel special and god like infront of these other people who are clinging to your bard-bad-assness to stay for some more life-blood-exp; I think is where this cult group following comes from.

you enjoyed taking things slow... creativity. you enjoyed taking that personal time away from 'it all' to focus in on your character. where that pride and joy comes from staring at your char's *** and thinking 'i'm cool as *** right now'... etc... glad you enjoyed that, by taking time away to go exp in a nostalgia zone. there is time and place for it. but i think only at the time of encounter. not like this big display for bringing it all back. iono it doesn't have anything to do with the OP. more power to him. but just this whole mantra living on the past 'exp' ways seems childish in the ways and reasoning that i see them through. My opinion seems to be uniquely articulated that i haven't seen from anyone else before and so I love the game for what it is today, and want to voice my opinions on this cult following. it's nothing emo, i've been a contributor and a part of this community sense those beginning times too. I just see it as childish mindset for said reasons. and I know il get a lot of hateraid on it. but no worries you won't get me fired up. i just wanted to say my peace.
 Bahamut.Striker
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Striker 2015-04-14 11:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Declin said: »
as vanilla as possible!!
Play it like I started in 03, bust out that PS2(use the in-game keyboard, I didn't have a real one for months.), go get yourself some AOL 56k(I know for a fact you can still get dial-up). Spend hours installing, days updating, and 10-15 mins to log in from power off listening to that good old modem sound. Your only resources for information are word of mouth, FFXI strategy guide(book), FFXI Atlas(book), and the fold out map that came with the game showing how all the zones connect.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-14 11:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll never understand this "WAAAAAH FAST EXP IS WHAT KILLED THE GAME" mentality people have, short of chalking it up to people being upset that other players are now capable of filling additional roles that these people never wanted to grind to begin with. Now Bob the BRD can go get his MNK up ASAP to use some of that new freelot gear he keeps hoarding? Good on Bob, since his group is still gonna make him BRD4SONGLYFE, but now he can punch mobs in the face for fun off the clock.

Exping was never enjoyable, it was just part of the skinner box to keep you subbed. Sure, you might have met some interesting people and forged some bonds, but most of the time, it was just business. You work your real job grinding away endlessly for money points, to pay to play a game to grind away for hours for exp points. Exping in a MMO is on the level of setting a timer and waiting for a count down to end, with the occasional jump or slowdown due to party efficiency. This is not an accomplishment, this is how little you people value your own time and self worth. Speed doesn't matter at all on exping, since going to have the same result one way or another, so I just fail to understand the logical fallacies people have to justify "old school" XI.

People leveling jobs like PUP or SMN in the early days and having to take 3-7 months per 75, just to get told they need to level up a different job to be able to do events is not a feature to be proud of, and really just hammers home how faux "elite" old XI was. Everytimme I read those comments, I get riled and think of the WoW nerd from South Park, "that which has no life", overly proud that they could grind out jobs while others cannot divert that time, and feel oh so smug about themselves as a result. Know why those people bailed when Abyssea hit? All their "achievements" meant jack because their gear was replaced easily and the people paying their subs could enjoy their game finally with a slice of fun. Truly a strange concept for XI, but an effective one.

I'm fine with people trying to play "vanilla", but I swear I'll be damned til the end of times long past this game getting shut down that I'll forever see people spouting all over the net "WAAAAAH, FAST EXP AND ABYSSEA IS WHAT KILLED THE GAME!" when the warcry always should have been, "WAAAAH! THE PLAYERBASE IS WHAT KEPT THE GAME ALIVE AND FINALLY KILLED IT! Plus Tanaka."

Get an egg timer, set the time, and watch a video. Getting excited and it's going fast paced on screen? Twist the nob a bit to speed it up. Moving slow suddenly onscreen? Hold the dial to slow it down appropriately. Hear the ding? Congrats! You just leveled up like an old school XI party, and reached the same destination you would have anyways, since time works that way short of a temporal hiccup, which I guess is on the level of the servers going down on your only day off. Because if time hiccups like that, your egg timer enjoyment is probably coming to an end, along with the universe.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-04-14 12:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I can respect what these people are trying to do. I dont feel like participating in it though. But concider this...Allow your vanilla players to get the warps from survival guides >.> If SE added this in the starter years the game would have been so much more accesible without changing the spirit of the game. For me it wasnt the waiting for a pt invite that did it....it was the waiting till the actual pt started, till everyone got there without dieing along the way. Such waste of time SE.
[+]
By Creativity 2015-04-14 12:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
I'll never understand this "WAAAAAH FAST EXP IS WHAT KILLED THE GAME" mentality people have, short of chalking it up to people being upset that other players are now capable of filling additional roles that these people never wanted to grind to begin with. Now Bob the BRD can go get his MNK up ASAP to use some of that new freelot gear he keeps hoarding? Good on Bob, since his group is still gonna make him BRD4SONGLYFE, but now he can punch mobs in the face for fun off the clock.

Exping was never enjoyable, it was just part of the skinner box to keep you subbed. Sure, you might have met some interesting people and forged some bonds, but most of the time, it was just business. You work your real job grinding away endlessly for money points, to pay to play a game to grind away for hours for exp points. Exping in a MMO is on the level of setting a timer and waiting for a count down to end, with the occasional jump or slowdown due to party efficiency. This is not an accomplishment, this is how little you people value your own time and self worth. Speed doesn't matter at all on exping, since going to have the same result one way or another, so I just fail to understand the logical fallacies people have to justify "old school" XI.

People leveling jobs like PUP or SMN in the early days and having to take 3-7 months per 75, just to get told they need to level up a different job to be able to do events is not a feature to be proud of, and really just hammers home how faux "elite" old XI was. Everytimme I read those comments, I get riled and think of the WoW nerd from South Park, "that which has no life", overly proud that they could grind out jobs while others cannot divert that time, and feel oh so smug about themselves as a result. Know why those people bailed when Abyssea hit? All their "achievements" meant jack because their gear was replaced easily and the people paying their subs could enjoy their game finally with a slice of fun. Truly a strange concept for XI, but an effective one.

I'm fine with people trying to play "vanilla", but I swear I'll be damned til the end of times long past this game getting shut down that I'll forever see people spouting all over the net "WAAAAAH, FAST EXP AND ABYSSEA IS WHAT KILLED THE GAME!" when the warcry always should have been, "WAAAAH! THE PLAYERBASE IS WHAT KEPT THE GAME ALIVE AND FINALLY KILLED IT! Plus Tanaka."

Get an egg timer, set the time, and watch a video. Getting excited and it's going fast paced on screen? Twist the nob a bit to speed it up. Moving slow suddenly onscreen? Hold the dial to slow it down appropriately. Hear the ding? Congrats! You just leveled up like an old school XI party, and reached the same destination you would have anyways, since time works that way short of a temporal hiccup, which I guess is on the level of the servers going down on your only day off. Because if time hiccups like that, your egg timer enjoyment is probably coming to an end, along with the universe.

Well then.. *Walks backwards slowly*

Let me teleport to abyss right away before you people kill me for taking a stroll through memory lane. I just don't see the reason to attack people for doing this. I never once said fast exp or abyss killed the game. If people want to waste 11.95 on this grandpa of a game to play it how they want to play it, then let them do that. It's not your money and it shouldn't bother you. We all love this game at the end of the day.

It wasn't easy for me to see Socom die. I was working the day they shut down all the servers so go figure. Hoping to end my days of FFXI by playing my heart out.
[+]
 Bahamut.Striker
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Striker 2015-04-14 12:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vienne said: »
I can respect what these people are trying to do. I dont feel like participating in it though. But concider this...Allow your vanilla players to get the warps from survival guides >.> If SE added this in the starter years the game would have been so much more accesible without changing the spirit of the game. For me it wasnt the waiting for a pt invite that did it....it was the waiting till the actual pt started, till everyone got there without dieing along the way. Such waste of time SE.
Compromise is a gateway drug! There are a lot of common sense things SE should have done a decade ago.
[+]
By Elazar1 2015-04-14 12:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Me and my wife did 1 through 75 a few months ago was fun but still used rings near the eng had enough by 66 is lol. Plus before haters start we had exp rings back in the day still, but regardless it's not the same the exp is so much higher per kill now.
By protectorchrono 2015-04-14 14:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get it though... just because someone has trusts etc exp'ing the 'convienant' way wouldn't they target stronger mobs and encounter basically the same thing... everyone does die... It's like the old mantra of players who cling to old school's dead whims are the social retards who never had any fun in endgame and just remember the exping oddly as amusingly unique. like they couldn't create much more interesting and fun situations outside of 'exping' LOL. I too think back to old school days of being on blm and dropping that freeze on a crab in kuftal. i enjoy the nostolgia of those times but nothing is going to bring that environment back. look to new things. if some of your most memorable times were with random pickup exp parties you didn't really enjoy other things very much i suspect. I have those old time good memories too but im not fiending for them like crack fiend over this time period. its dead. its gone. it's never going to be like it was. get over it already.

it was painfully slow... so much so that if things were changed during those old times to like how they are now, i don't think you would have this 'itch' for striped down vanilla, sh*t exp pt groups in the same way. you would just have a love for the game and all the interactions it brings. not this emo, "I need to have this nostalgia play out like how it used to and the interactions with people and the old school exp ways are the only way to achieve that"...... no. look in the mirror. stop evaluating everything based on things not in your control. man up and own what is and has happened. enjoy every second that you are in and stop wasting time thinking on the 'past' look forward with optimism for whats to come... /rantoff

I'm just saying my opinion but no you have to blow it out of proportion. Your entited to your opinion, but your attitude stinks, I'd work on that.

Quote:
man up and own what is and has happened.

I already have douchebag, otherwise I would've stopped playing after 2009. Check yourself and watch what you say if you don't have the all the facts about the people you quote.

Quote:
look forward with optimism for whats to come...

There is nothing that's to come. One final storyline, then poof done. That's it.

Quote:
no. look in the mirror.

I look in the mirror and all I see is my personal truth. What do you see? Again, you don't know me so stop talking like you do.

Quote:
stop evaluating everything based on things not in your control.

No. YOU stop evaluating everything based on what I said. Nothing was EVER in my nor yours, nor anyone's control as to how the game would move forward. Only one IN control is SE. I've accepted the fact that the game will NEVER be as good of a MMO as it was back in the day. I don't live in denial otherwise like I said I would have quit long ago. My time with the game is done but if I was annoyed by the start of aby and stuff after 2009 I would have quit then and there, but no I kept playing despite that.

Quote:
/rantoff

Rant huh? With all you said, sounded like you had a grudge or something. Either that or you are obviously pissed, have anger issues and wanted to take it out on someone you don't know. Man Up. :)
[+]
By Davorin 2015-04-14 14:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i just wanted to say my peace.

No one cares.

If you're not interested, then move on. There's no need to bring down what the OP is trying to do.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-04-14 14:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Davorin said: »
i just wanted to say my peace.

No one cares.

If you're not interested, then move on. There's no need to bring down what the OP is trying to do.

too bad too, he seems to be under the impression that what he says has some kind of value
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-14 15:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile, on topic: Declin, since you're on Sylph, while I don't intend to start a new dude anytime soon, I'd be glad to hang out and do the occasional level sync.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [84 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Lucidreams
Server: Asura
By Asura.Lucidreams 2015-07-07 07:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

*Necro*

I'm assuming this never went through?
 Asura.Smoky
user: Aubain
By Asura.Smoky 2015-07-08 11:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Last played December 2012. Trying to come back, forgot my SQEX ID and POL ID lmao. On chat with support, how helpful are these guys? Definitely not starting over, so if this doesn't work out... I suppose I'll start FF 14 someday. So bored right now.

Tempting to start over if there were people willing, but highly doubt anyone is serious about starting over :(
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2015-07-08 12:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Smoky said: »
Honestly they're pretty useless and love to give you excuses, just keep hammering at it though.

Asura.Lucidreams said: »
Don't think it did.

Also, you tried out H-Hour? Not SOCOM per se but it's getting closer every update.

Miss S2 myself and even though Confrontation was a little unbearable still miss that also.
 Asura.Smoky
user: Aubain
By Asura.Smoky 2015-07-09 07:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Reece said: »
Honestly they're pretty useless and love to give you excuses, just keep hammering at it though.

Dug through some old notebooks and found my passwords. Waiting for updates and I'll be back soon. Should be fun.
 Asura.Lucidreams
By Asura.Lucidreams 2015-07-09 09:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Reece said: »
Asura.Smoky said: »

Don't think it did.

Also, you tried out H-Hour? Not SOCOM per se but it's getting closer every update.

Miss S2 myself and even though Confrontation was a little unbearable still miss that also.

I've been keeping up with the H Hour updates and reviews and a lot of people don't seem to happy about it. And I hear that SOF studios treat the fan base like uninformed dingbats. Did you hear about Socom making Sony's #BuildingTheList ? The potential for a remaster seems possible now. There is also a petition too!

https://www.change.org/p/shawn-layden-adam-boyes-shuhei-yoshida-socom-hd-remastered-7383a05e-7fb3-49ef-b36c-d18f32a0aa54
[+]
 Asura.Tonn
user: Tonn
By Asura.Tonn 2015-07-09 11:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahhh this isnt Socom Fire Team Bravo 2 which i played 07-2012 with the good ol PSP but they got my support
[+]
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2015-07-09 18:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing it with a few friends a lot and I must say it is very good for what it is so far. (I mean it says Early Access stage)

However I feel Alpha is more appropriate in the state it is in currently. Even though they passed that on the 'official' timeline.

The reason people are negative towards it I would say is, they're fixing bugs and adding/tweaking things that should be at the bottom of the priority list. I mean it's missing a lot of fundamentals we know and love from the Socom series.

It doesn't help they didn't listen to David Sears and went their own way with the game leaving him no option but to leave and abandon a game he has no control over anymore.

Yeah I've seen many a petition over the years for it and I'm hoping it becomes reality sometime soon. S2 remake/HD/remaster would be a money grabber and absolutely outstanding for the fan base.

Asura.Tonn said: »
Yeah I did enjoy FTB a little, I was always a S2 kid though with my network adapter haha. I didn't enjoy 3 as much, and Combined Assault ruined it for me but hey if there's a chance of S2 on the horizon they have my money and I'll throw 100, 200 at it.