How Rare Is MAB From Wailing Stones?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How rare is MAB from wailing stones?
How rare is MAB from wailing stones?
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2015-03-27 14:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I was away from the game when the original skirmish gear came out, so now that I'm back I've been spending copius amounts of gil on Wailing Stone +1's to get a mab augment on my hagondes legs. I've gone through well over 10 stacks of +1's and about 2 stacks of +2's, and I've yet to get even 1 MAB augment. Is this normal, or am I a victim of incredibly bad luck?
 Fenrir.Kelyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Yummee
By Fenrir.Kelyn 2015-03-27 14:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds completely normal to me.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
Server: Asura
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-27 14:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kaht said: »
I was away from the game when the original skirmish gear came out, so now that I'm back I've been spending copius amounts of gil on Wailing Stone +1's to get a mab augment on my hagondes legs. I've gone through well over 10 stacks of +1's and about 2 stacks of +2's, and I've yet to get even 1 MAB augment. Is this normal, or am I a victim of incredibly bad luck?
About 70 mil worth of +2 stones rare.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2015-03-27 15:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Loire said: »
About 70 mil worth of +2 stones rare.

To see MAB on one piece?
By Bomberto 2015-03-27 15:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately, the Hagondes set has the highest number of unique augments compared to the other skirmish sets, so the odds are against you for seeing one specific augment. Those old skirmish sets are a pain to augment.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-03-27 15:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the amount of pet augments and macc augments before I got a MAB 23 PDT -3 on legs +1 was ridiculous.
 Cerberus.Logical
user: cronix
By Cerberus.Logical 2015-03-27 15:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Seconded, getting solid MAB augments on a piece of Hagondes is a decent rarity. For the price, you might as well settle for marginally inferior nuking pieces in the form of Skirmish 2.0 pieces with decked out nuking augments, which is a fraction of the price.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-27 15:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bomberto said: »
Unfortunately, the Hagondes set has the highest number of unique augments compared to the other skirmish sets, so the odds are against you for seeing one specific augment. Those old skirmish sets are a pain to augment.

There are not just a lot of different augments, the rate on MAB and Macc are significantly lower than everything else. According to my luck on hagondes pants +1, about .25% to even get MAB, and then it could be quite a low value.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2015-03-27 15:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Spend money... lots of money... and if that fails.... spend even more...

Also every time I augment I grab my crucifix, Buddah statue, rabbits foot, horseshoe, and a box of lucky charms. Works 50% of the time, every time.
[+]
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-03-27 16:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Started making tups with enough gil for more then two mythics, started augmenting hagondes +1 at the same time; finished tups with less then 50m. Sadly i didn't stop then, i'm still trying to raise a few pieces from MAB +25 to slightly higher, and the running total is well over 400m.
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2015-03-27 16:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

MAB is definitely rare as are DA and Crit. Much more likely to get -Enmity, Pet Stats, Spell interruption rate etc..
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-27 16:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
MAB is definitely rare as are DA and Crit. Much more likely to get -Enmity, Pet Stats, Spell interruption rate etc..
DA and Crit are more likely due to the lessend augment pool on otronif so MAB is more rare even if the augmetns are all equally rolled from the hagondes pool. Which, personal opinion (small sample size) seems that even in its own pool is less likely than other augments for hagondes.

To the earlier question. Was a running total of 70 mil to see a single mab augment show up for each of the five pieces. Sadly I have done this for two characters so far.
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2015-03-27 16:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I feel a bit better about it now, thought it was just me. At this point I'd settle for ANY mab.

It's a frustrating system, for sure. It reminds me a lot of when I was working on Ebisu a couple years back. You turn in fish after fish after fish and you're no closer to your goal than you were before you wasted all that gil/time. For a quest that has a .5% chance of success, it took me 975 Lik before I got an Opal Silk (about 5 times more fish than the average).

Imo, S/E did a much better job with the Airlixir system where you work toward a goal, or alluvion where you can use different types of stones to target specific augments. The randomness of wailing stones just gives you a case of the feel-bads...
 Siren.Jedd
Server: Siren
user: Jedd
By Siren.Jedd 2015-03-27 16:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

As rare as a Japanese player that didn't pick Shneddick or Vocane Ring.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2015-03-27 17:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, do not invest in hagondes. Though some pieces have higher mab potential, you should consider your helios with mab (more likely) and mainly magic burst.

Here is the good combo (correct me if im wrong): mab/macc from snowdim, occult omen or magic crit from leaf, magic burst from dusk.

I saw a jp spreadsheet saying max magic burst is 10%, pay attention after this update, mages should aim for bursting above anything else, the bonus is stupid. That said, mab + magic burst will trash any max augmented hagondes.

For hagondes, i would just go for pdt sets, as mages will be pulling too much hate, regardless of enmity-.
By fillerbunny9 2015-03-27 17:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I cannot get non-SMN augments on my Hagondes pieces. I hate the "old" augmenting system so damn much.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-03-27 17:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Jedd said: »

So wrong yet so right..this x1000

Here I thought it was just Lakshmi that had that trend.
 Odin.Calipso
Server: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2015-03-27 17:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I decided to bring my blm out of retirement and did a bunch of wailing +1's on Hagondes that I had sitting left over from red mog pell mules. Went through multiple stacks and didn't see a single MAB. Unless you really wanna go crazy about min/maxing I'd just go with Helios. Much easier to get good MaB + Macc augments on those. *** Hagondes >_>
By Pantafernando 2015-03-27 18:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Jedd said: »

Thats a slap in the face of anyone that claims "everyone cheats".
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-03-27 18:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
is the good combo (correct me if im wrong): mab/macc from snowdim, occult omen or magic crit from leaf, magic burst from dusk.

I saw a jp spreadsheet saying max magic burst is 10%, pay attention after this update, mages should aim for bursting above anything else, the bonus is stupid.
I'm not going to math everything out because i don't even know all the particulars of the new magic burst formula but theres a few things you would consider for this.

First off, don't waste the leaf spot on magic crit, its a terrible stat.

Secondly, i would consider using magic burst bonus accessories to get as high as you can first. If you sacrifice INT on say helios head for magic burst bonus, you can't have that 10 INT back when your not magic bursting, as oppose to just changing rings.

Ring+Ring+Neck+Back+Staff(alluvion/leafaug) = 30%