Forum » Windower » Support » I just installed windower to look at it and need
I just installed windower to look at it and need
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-03-22 14:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I will never use windower i find it to be cheating and i love my account to much but installing it to look at what it offers just for kicks breaks no rules.

now what i want to know is is there a stand alone uninstaller or only the one the program is packed with seeing as i want to check my system for left over to make sure it is gone.

I am useing revo uninstaller but i do not want to mess up my os can someone here explain to me what i am removeing it said there are 2 items left in my computer reg?
 Bahamut.Jezard
Server: Bahamut
user: Dre
By Bahamut.Jezard 2015-03-22 14:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't install like a normal program. You can just delete the windower folder and be gone. Nothing to be paranoid about. People been using it for ages and nothing has happened. The logger plugin just records all your chat log to a text file.
By Numquam 2015-03-22 14:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

SE really doesn't care if you choose to use Windower. They care more if you use Parsing/Botting/Speed hack programs. Windower does offer a lot if used correctly.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-22 14:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Numquam said: »
Parsing
I kinda find it funny they care about this. lol
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-03-22 14:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jezard said: »
It doesn't install like a normal program. You can just delete the windower folder and be gone. Nothing to be paranoid about. People been using it for ages and nothing has happened. The logger plugin just records all your chat log to a text file.
please explain what you mean also check over the opening post again i added something.
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-03-22 14:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Numquam said: »
Parsing
I kinda find it funny they care about this. lol
ya i know and i understand i have found on every game and site i go on the fans make better things then the company.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-03-22 14:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Just remove it and it's gone, you don't need to use revo uninstaller for it
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-03-22 15:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Just remove it and it's gone, you don't need to use revo uninstaller for it
well i used revo then removed the folders them self. it is gone.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
Server: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2015-03-29 13:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Windower does not do anything outside of the folder the Windower.exe file is placed it. It does not mess with the registry (it does read the registry, so it knows where to find FFXI, but it never writes to it), nor does it place files outside of its root folder. Even if you download plugins, addons, resources, make scripts, make screenshots, videos, etc. nothing will ever leave that folder. So as soon as you delete the folder, Windower is gone.

There's no uninstaller because it never installs in the first place. The "installer" that comes with it is just a fancy unpacker that writes extra files to that same directory.
[+]
VIP
By Iryoku 2015-03-30 01:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Arcon said: »
it does read the registry, so it knows where to find FFXI, but it never writes to it.
This is not entirely true. It does write to the registry to update the FFXI settings, but it doesn't create or store anything of its own in the registry.

Also, the Windower installer is a bit more than just an unpacker. It does include an uninstaller, and it does create the standard installation registry keys so that it can be uninstalled from the Windows control panel, but Windower itself doesn't use these, and they are not required to exist for Windower to function.
 Sylph.Feary
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2015-03-30 02:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

yes thats it kawar. take that first step in.
By Mookies 2015-03-30 02:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Windower isn't cheating, it just adds functionality to the game that should have been there. In fact SE has been adding some things into the game that windower did.

So get off your high horse you ignorant idiot.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-03-30 02:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The ffxi playerbase would be alot smaller if we didnt have windower. I play xi on my laptop without windower and the game just looks ugly and dated, when i play on my pc it doesnt show its ages thanks to all the changes you can do with windower. The overall gaming experience is much better because of little twerks it provides (blinkmenot and delaymenot, the GW plugin). Playing on my laptop is just pure frustration and I wouldnt dare do a groupevent on it because I would probably get my pt killed.
Some addons/plugins are made for cheating sure, but thats up to someone's own ethical code to use or not.
[+]
By mortontony1 2015-03-30 02:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vienne said: »
Some addons/plugins are made for cheating sure, but thats up to someone's own ethical code to use or not.

There really aren't though. I suppose I can see something like distance being considered that for people with ranged attacks for getting the perfect 'sweet spot' distance or whatever, but straight up cheating? No way.
 Leviathan.Vienne
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-03-30 02:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »
Leviathan.Vienne said: »

There really aren't though. I suppose I can see something like distance being considered that for people with ranged attacks for getting the perfect 'sweet spot' distance or whatever, but straight up cheating? No way.
Yeah i dont consider distance to be cheating either because SE has added some form of it themselves (the indicator turns red/yellow/blue)
I'll be honest though (and i'll probably get burned at the stake for saying this but i'll say it anyhow) i think spellcast is cheating (although yes i'll say this too, i'm not enough of a computergeek to get it working straight, if i could i would probably use it too....but yeah its a personal thing)
By Mookies 2015-03-30 03:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't spellcast no longer supported because it went over the line with automated casting? I know people can still use it but it's no longer part of the package AFAIK.

There really isn't a need to use it for skill ups anymore with the new skill up books.

As for gear swapping... Personally I use simple txt macros that are just a longer version of an equip swap macro that allows you to switch all of your gear in one go. It's actually the main reason why I use windower (not enough macro lines in default client). I kind of wish I took the time to understand how gearswap or spellcast worked for gear swapping, but it's not a necessity, therefore I don't think it's a big deal to use.
By mortontony1 2015-03-30 03:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

obviously just one person's opinion, but I started playing FFXIV ~a week ago. There is zero gear swapping in combat, which is strange and foreign to me coming from XI. So between that, and straight leaving the system in place, they obviously know what's going on and don't care. Personally, I enjoy being able to cast my spells, then melee, then WS, and so on with more than one set of gear. The point of getting better gear is to do things better/faster, right? So if the system is in place to continue to do so, why would you not?

Edit: 'they' being SE

And really, with the way 99% of the codes are written you don't need to be computer geek to figure it out, they basically tell you 'this is the set you will be using before cast things so put fast cast here, then this is what you'll actually be casting spells in, so put MAB here'
By Mookies 2015-03-30 03:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Those scripts break a lot though no?
By mortontony1 2015-03-30 03:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

never had a big issue with the old spellcast or the new gearswap. every now and then 'oh this piece isn't swapping when i do X' then after checking the script for it it's been pretty smooth sailing for me to figure out what was wrong. never had anything just completely borked.
[+]
By mortontony1 2015-03-30 04:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a link to Gearswap for dummies, it is DNC specific but the info learned from it does pertain to all jobs, assuming the idea of switching 'waltz' for 'spell/ability x' makes sense. Usually your job specific guide and consequentially the people who play that job a lot can/will help with specifics.
[+]
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2015-03-30 13:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Spellcast was not discontinued because it was cheating (although personally I do consider many of its functions cheating, same for its replacement, GearSwap). It was discontinued because the code was awful and a massive pain to keep maintaining it.