Interested In Returning, Hoping To Find An LS

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Phoenix » Interested in returning, hoping to find an LS
Interested in returning, hoping to find an LS
 Phoenix.Juggalo
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Juggalo
By Phoenix.Juggalo 2015-03-19 11:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

TL;DR
Been away from the game for years. I read about Rhapsodies and I'm interested in returning, but I don't want to return and be stuck with no friends to help me catch up, and not knowing what to even do. Can anyone help?

Full Details
I played FFXI originally from 2004 to 2006 and quit during the ToAU era due to moving across the country. I didn't return until January 2009 and, at that time, people had moved beyond ToAU. I never did get to finish Nyzul Isle, and I think I did Salvage only once or twice. Everyone was on content that came out after that.

Anyway, I became part of a great Linkshell (rip HomingMissiles) and we did all kinds of content together. It was awesome and amazing. I played through Abyssea and all that. I did most of Wings (by the time I got far enough, others had moved on to Abyssea). And, other than LS alliance events, most of my playtime was "catch-up." I mentioned never getting to do the Nyzul content, because people were on other stuff. And when I got to that stuff, they were on the next, and so on. Plus, understandably, they already had their own pre-made statics and such from before I came along.

I did manage to get all my jobs to 99 and even got a WAR Empyrean but, eventually I quit again in October 2011. I returned for a month in 2012, just to replay the main story (I was in the process of playing every FF title in chronological order, one per month). In May of 2013, I returned for SoA, but I couldn't get anywhere in the game. The same issues I mention before of being "behind" in content were exponential at this point, and I couldn't find a Linkshell to join, the SoA events that were happening (shouts I saw) all required far more than I had for my character and, without an LS to help me catch up, I was just left in the dust. I futzed around until August doing daily quests and stuff, but I never progressed in SoA, never found a new LS home, and quit in August 2013 to play FFXIV instead (where I figured at least there, I'd be starting at the same level as everyone else. Incidentally, the game doesn't really allow for "falling behind" too much. Conversely, FFXI has always been punishing for taking time away from it).

Now, with the announcement of Rhapsodies, I'm interested in returning to FFXI for a farewell tour, both to finish up old content (Wings! SoA! Maybe getting that Mythic polearm I always wanted!) as well as the new and final stuff. But I have the same concerns. Each time I return, it's mostly for nostalgic purposes, and I realize the game I love died when Abyssea came out. Okay, that's fine; it changed and I adapted to it. But the other element is that, each time I've returned, I'm only farther behind in content progression than I was the last time, and I worry about that being the case here.

I know that there's been a buttload of new stuff added since August 2013. I've heard mention of item level (which I think was being introduced around when I quit, and why I could never get into SoA shout events, not having high enough iLvl). I've also heard of a Trust system (AI NPCs to help do stuff). But I worry that I would resubscibe and be screwed. Naturally, we don't know if Rhapsodies will require anything specific but if there are shouts for (item level 150+ only), well, I can't do that. If that means I need to go do older content to work my way up, that's fine, but if nobody is doing it (as has been the case before), I'm stuck. Basically, I don't want to get into a situation like when I came around for SoA where I was logging in and just TRYING to do stuff, but not really being able to. A friend of mine is also interested in returning upon hearing this news and asked me about it. What I told him is that I'm definitely interested, but I don't want to return only to either be shouting for help for hours to do old content nobody is doing anymore (at which point I log out having nothing accomplished, repeat the next day) or to be turned away from doing any current content because my character isn't up to snuff. Perhaps FFXIV has spoiled me in this sense, and maybe Rhapsodies will be a bit more forgiving.

I guess what I'm hoping to accomplish by writing this is to possibly find a home for myself (and friend) before hopping back in, a LS that would help me catch up, however that even may be the case these days (admittedly, I am ignorant on what I'd need to do). I enjoyed playing DRG the most (you can see my gear from when I last logged out in the game on my FFXIAH profile), but I also had THF, NIN, WAR, and BLM that I had used a lot during the aforementioned 2009-2011 era. On the FFXIV subreddit, there's an oft-updated thread of "So you're returning to Patch #.#" that sums up what's new, as well as what to and in what order to catch up. I don't know if anything like that exists for FFXI, and I know the game always was more party (or even alliance) based versus FFXIV's more solo-centric (or just queue up for a needed dungeon) gameplay, which is why I'm hoping to find a Linkshell that would help me get up to snuff.

All that said, if anyone can help, please let me know!
 Cerberus.Halticus
Server: Cerberus
user: Halticus
By Cerberus.Halticus 2015-03-19 11:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

tl:dr ... I'm assuming you didn't see last night's live stream from SE.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-03-19 11:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

He even mentioned information from the live stream in his post...

Should probably try reading, even if it is a scary whole five paragraphs.

OP, good luck with what you're after.
By Juggalo 2015-03-19 11:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Halticus said: »
tl:dr ... I'm assuming you didn't see last night's live stream from SE.

I did, which I mention being the reason I'm interested in returning in my post.

Sylph.Oraen said: »
He even mentioned information from the live stream in his post...

Should probably try reading, even if it is a scary whole five paragraphs.

OP, good luck with what you're after.
Thanks!