Link | Quote | Reply

:P
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-08-21 15:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaihri said:
The One time passwords are only good for 30 seconds.

this is not true. i have personally timed my token and the password is good over 30 mins. a few of my friends have done this also and their time limits range from 12 mins to an hour and 22 mins.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-08-21 15:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
User submitted image

See my point?

Not really--they're two different sites, aren't they? Brosale and Brogame?
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-21 15:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats not the point. I've gotten 2 from each in the past half hour, If SE really cared, they would have cracked down on this a long time ago.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2009-08-21 15:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a friend who this happened to several days ago. Probably in the past week. he plays on XBox live and PC, but has not used his PC in quite some time.
He tried logging in one night and was not able to on XBox. It said his password was invalid. He does not use security token. When he was able to call SE on Monday when they were open to reset his password, he logged in, and his 2 mules were gone and deleted, and his main character had the 600,000 gil missing.

He reported this to SE who put him in jail for safekeeping while they investigated. they said it could take up to 6 weeks to reactivate the character, and it was only a 50% he would get his gil back. They also mentioned the roll back thing.

If I think of anything else he said that is related to the above cases I'll share that info. Maybe we can collectively come up with a link.
[+]
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-21 16:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
Thats not the point. I've gotten 2 from each in the past half hour, If SE really cared, they would have cracked down on this a long time ago.

In the FFXIV interview, SE said they were actually trying to stop the RMT /tells. Saying SE = RMT is just kinda of stupid. Every MMO has RMT. It's just a given when you have such a huge player base to market to.

And really, do those /tells honestly disrupt your gameplay so much? Sure, they're annoying, but they don't inhibit your ability to play it at all.
[+]
 Asura.Vixen
Server: Asura
By Asura.Vixen 2009-08-21 16:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:
Kaihri said:

this is not true. i have personally timed my token and the password is good over 30 mins. a few of my friends have done this also and their time limits range from 12 mins to an hour and 22 mins.

I have not had the same experience with the token. My husband and I log in using the same token (we sit right next to each other) We have tried to use the same password to get into both accounts at the same time and it never works. One of us has to wait about 30 seconds and get a new password to be able to log in. Also if we try to do it too quickly (i.e. before 30 seconds pass) we get the password error.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-21 16:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Drteeth said:
Jiko said:

In the FFXIV interview, SE said they were actually trying to stop the RMT /tells. Saying SE = RMT is just kinda of stupid. Every MMO has RMT. It's just a given when you have such a huge player base to market to.

And really, do those /tells honestly disrupt your gameplay so much? Sure, they're annoying, but they don't inhibit your ability to play it at all.

When you have 3 friends in 4 days get hacked, You tell me its not a little suspicious on SE's part. Just because they say "they're doing something about it", doesnt mean jack ***. I could tell you whatever the *** I wanted to, if I have nothing to back up what I say, its garbage.

SE = RMT. Prove me wrong.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-21 16:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Rate down all you want, yet dont bring anything to the table. You people disgust me. Either you know im right, and have no argument, or your argument is fail.
[+]
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-08-21 16:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
Drteeth said:
Jiko said:

When you have 3 friends in 4 days get hacked, You tell me its not a little suspicious on SE's part. Just because they say "they're doing something about it", doesnt mean jack ***. I could tell you whatever the *** I wanted to, if I have nothing to back up what I say, its garbage.

SE = RMT. Prove me wrong.

Okay, SE is RMT. They also control all the RMT on WoW, GW, WAR and every other MMO.

Now the better question is, why do you still play?
[+]
 Shiva.Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-21 16:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't rate anyone down. I'm just saying it's all conspiracy theory until proven otherwise. Neither of us has proof of what we're saying, so it's pointless to argue against it. I simply think that saying SE = RMT is jumping to a very bold conclusion when people get hacked all the time.

Conspiracy theorists would absolutely love you.
[+]
 Shiva.Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-21 16:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lethewaters said:

Okay, SE is RMT. They also control all the RMT on WoW, GW, WAR and every other MMO.

For *** serious.
[+]
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-08-21 16:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly Jiko, if SE were RMT they'd just send it as a global system message every hour instead of wasting time on accounts. Respectfully, I can say I feel your pain and can understand your anger. My wife's account was taken over months ago and I know how infuriating it can be.

RMT are a disease and until SE starts doing something... like 1) No trial accounts! Make the *** pay for each account! 2) Charge up front for 1 year access (yes ouch!).. where if they have their account banned it hurts them to keep having it happen over and over. 3) I'll hate myself for saying this but...SE should just sell gil, by doing so it murders the RMT market... Just make all items bought with that gil R/Ex so it takes it off the market forever...
[+]
 Garuda.Athila
user: Akilles
By Garuda.Athila 2009-08-21 16:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

.Hack//G.U. :O!!
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-21 17:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Drteeth said:
Lethewaters said:

For *** serious.

Why do smokers smoke? Why do alcoholics drink? Stupid question, answer is you get hooked. If for not the friends I have in game, and all Ive acomplished throughout the 5 years I've been here, It would make it a hell of a lot easier to quit. Tell me you'd simply be able to give it up without a second thought.

And WoW and all them other crap games? I couldnt care less if RMT is controlling their markets or not. I've played WoW for 3 months, and it was worse then bashing my head into a wall. All I do care about is seeing SEs pockets being lined by RMT cash, and people ignorant enough to blindly believe that SE cares bout its player base.
 Cerberus.Savannah
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-08-21 17:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

JIKO!
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-21 17:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohai Savannah!
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-21 17:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

O.oa *Shrugs.* MMO's are a pretty cheap alternative. Where else can you buy a game and spend 30-600 hours playing for $13? $156 for 360-7200 hours of gameplay per year. That equals out to 3-4 standard games. Sure, you could probably get 90-120 hours of gameplay from a standard game for $50.... But, it's pretty rare with a lot of games tbh.
[+]
 Shiva.Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-21 17:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
Drteeth said:
Lethewaters said:

For *** serious.

Why do smokers smoke? Why do alcoholics drink? Stupid question, answer is you get hooked. If for not the friends I have in game, and all Ive acomplished throughout the 5 years I've been here, It would make it a hell of a lot easier to quit. Tell me you'd simply be able to give it up without a second thought.

And WoW and all them other crap games? I couldnt care less if RMT is controlling their markets or not. I've played WoW for 3 months, and it was worse then bashing my head into a wall. All I do care about is seeing SEs pockets being lined by RMT cash, and people ignorant enough to blindly believe that SE cares bout its player base.

Honestly, I have quit before. The game got boring, I took a break for a couple weeks and ended up not missing it, so I canceled my content IDs. RL friends asked me to come back after almost a year, so I switched servers and started up again.

If it came down to it, I would quit if I was this outraged by "SE being behind all of the RMT" as you claim they are. Yes, the game is fun. Yes, I do enjoy the friends I have. However, it's not like I couldn't keep contact with them if I did quit.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-08-21 17:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Jile said:
Just make all items bought with that gil R/Ex so it takes it off the market forever...

Lol, I was thinking, just spend all your gil and time Augmenting all your equipment :3

....Wait, no... that way they'll just take your char for keeps and sell it for like $1000....
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2009-08-21 17:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

RMT and account hacking are not as profitable as a person who keeps playing the game. SE stands to make more money by removing RMT altogether and the more people who get hacked the more people are uncomfortable even playing. If RMT and hacking magically had never been in the game FFXI would have been far more successful and made far more money. Plus SE has to pay people to answer phone calls and gm calls for every event of a hack. This is a severe waste of human resources and it's honestly down right stupid to think that the company would support/hide RMT in ANY fashion... seriously do your math... Now is SE doing everything they can to prevent/quell RMT? Not at all, they could do far more, but killing trial accounts and putting severe limitations hurts real players. FFXI is not a noob friendly game and it's hard enough to get players to start and stay. It would be a bad idea to further complicate the process.

Back on topic, the person who was hacked in the OP's post is my ls mate and friend. It outrages me to see that people who do everything in their power to avoid incidents like this from occurring and this ***starts up... I'm honestly worried... not just for my friend who's spent untold amounts of time acquiring rare gear and a good stock of gil, but for myself and my other ls members who could easily fall prey to these attacks. Needless to say I hope they streamline this rollback system... cause it's gunna get a whole lot of use now...
[+]
 Bismarck.Mrp
Server: Bismarck
user: Ocjp
By Bismarck.Mrp 2009-08-21 18:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I got hacked on 17 august 2009, i did'nt had token. My account got compromised by a keylogger. I wish i would remember where but i think its was from an ADD. I was using internet explorer with no anti-virus. I suspect Allakhazam , somepage but i'm not sure.
Going for a roll back to get my 65 millions gils items back... Now i only use FIREFOX , with Addblock and Scriptblocker. I hope the roll back will work. Everyone take care on internet ........
[+]
 Alexander.Hasiano
Server: Alexander
user: Hasiano
By Alexander.Hasiano 2009-08-21 18:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

i never use internet explorer, even with version 8 its just too easy for it to be infiltrated, i have firefox and AVG 8.5 on both my PCs, i only play ffxi on one, and use this site, wiki and ls sites on the other.

ashman and ls friends, i hope your friend get sorted with his account and he gets all his gil and gear back. good luck
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-21 18:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:
Kaihri said:

How long they last is completely irrelevant, only the fact that they can only be used once is important. Meaning when you type it on your computer, even if someone is getting your keystroke in real time, that person won't be able to use your one time password.

As for SE being RMT lol seriously, SE can generate items/money directly, why would they "hack" their own customers ? And again you do not own your character, neither items you collected. SE is completely free to remove all "your" gils if they wanted to.

Add to this the fact that's every single account compromised is bad advertising for SE. No company wants to see their customers getting hacked. Could prevent new players from joining FF XI (and FF XIV in the future), future customers may wonder "will my credit card information will be safe with SE ?" "will my char gets hacked too ?" etc... Definitely not a good business strategy.
[+]
 Phoenix.Joz
Server: Phoenix
user: joz
By Phoenix.Joz 2009-08-21 18:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Jile said:
But for this to happen though, SE/pol would have to be completely inept - allowing unlimited failed login attempts without locking the account....

I recently installed pol/ffxi to a new computer of mine and had to login for the first time there. I saved my password on my laptop so I didn't have to type it in. I tried to login on my new computer but kept failing, it only allowed me to do it 3 times before I had to wait an hr or so to try again. But now I just type all my passwords and not save them.
 Hades.Hatekhaos
Server: Hades
user: hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-08-21 19:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sekundes said:
Plus SE has to pay people to answer phone calls and gm calls for every event of a hack.

If you think about it, they pay a person to answer the phone for x amount of hours a day so whether that person gets 1 call or 1000 calls they still get paid the same. Maybe SE making sure they get their money's worth outta their call center/gm reps lol.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-21 19:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

When I got my token and failed so understand how it worked properly I failed my login like 20x

So RMT possibly got a random number generator to crack into your acc after they keylog you

O.o its pretty simple when you think about it just takes time
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-21 19:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hatekhaos said:
Sekundes said:
Plus SE has to pay people to answer phone calls and gm calls for every event of a hack.

If you think about it, they pay a person to answer the phone for x amount of hours a day so whether that person gets 1 call or 1000 calls they still get paid the same. Maybe SE making sure they get their money's worth outta their call center/gm reps lol.

"If that person gets 1 call a day" = such situation doesn't exist. That person would just get fired. Saves money. And if shitload of calls inc at the very same moment, then customers will wait.

Quote:
So RMT possibly got a random number generator to crack into your acc after they keylog you

O.o its pretty simple when you think about it just takes time

Technically impossible. You'll never be able to do like 100 attempts in a short period of time. Server will refuse these. With odds being 1/1,000,000, even 100 attempt would only grants you 1/10,000 chance to find the correct password.

I'm pretty sure the server will ignore your attempts after X failed tries like Phoenix.Joz said.
[+]
 Hades.Hatekhaos
Server: Hades
user: hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-08-21 19:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
then customers will wait.

and wait we do.. for hours ...