users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blue magic spells for Yorcia2
Blue magic spells for Yorcia2
 Phoenix.Borland
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Borland 2015-03-05 14:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm wondering what all blue magic spells I ought to try using for Yorcia's Alluvion Skirmish.

I was thinking baseline using:
Earth - Embalming earth
Wind - Subduction
Thunder - Charged Whisker
Water - Water Bomb
Fire - Thermal Pulse
Blizzard - Cold Wave

So that I could cover some different elements, so wanting to learn a few of them (since I've been lazy about learning all blue magic). So I'm not actually familiar with what all damage they do and what is best.

Any advice would be loved.
By mortontony1 2015-03-05 14:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I pretty much only use thermal pulse, subduction, water bomb, rending deluge, and either retinal glare or rail cannon. Sometimes whisker, but not too common for me to set.
 Shiva.Larrymc
Server: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2015-03-05 14:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Subduction everything first.
Retinal glare and diffusion ray to finish off ice and wind elementals.
Sinker drill for butterflys.

When UW is up and there is a tight nest of Escelants, get in the middle and alternate Uproot & Crashing thunder.

Sub thief to flee out quickly.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-03-05 14:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Borland said: »
I'm wondering what all blue magic spells I ought to try using for Yorcia's Alluvion Skirmish.

I was thinking baseline using:
Earth - Embalming earth
Wind - Subduction
Thunder - Charged Whisker
Water - Water Bomb
Fire - Thermal Pulse
Blizzard - Cold Wave

So that I could cover some different elements, so wanting to learn a few of them (since I've been lazy about learning all blue magic). So I'm not actually familiar with what all damage they do and what is best.

Any advice would be loved.

Personally, I find CW and Thermal Pulse too expensive MP-wise to bother with. Especially when you're going to have to be fairly self-sufficient in Yorcia. I'd rather just deal with a non-optimal (as long as it's not massively resisted) spell than use up my MP on those.

Subduction is obviously a must. Retinal Glare is good as everyone noted. But I've also had pretty good luck with Embalming Earth. It's also fairly MP efficient and solid damage/recast.
By mortontony1 2015-03-05 14:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO what thermal does to ice eles is totally worth the cost, especially with magic hammer being what it is. I also don't know how I feel about breath attacks personally. Just seem weird to me. Plus I don't have a set for them, mostly because I don't use them. I'll try it out next time I'm out there though.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-03-05 14:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I still like Everyone's Grudge if I need a different element type or want a single-target to snipe something.
 Lakshmi.Kingofbastok
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Kingofbastok 2015-03-05 15:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The spells I mainly use on elementals are CW, Thermal Pulse, Subduction, Retinal Glare, and Magic Hammer for when I need MP. I usually use CW or Thermal Pulse at the beginning of a new floor with BA to get some quick points since it's enough to kill the elementals unless of course they're of the wrong element. Other Times I'll either use CW or Thermal Pulse and then just Subduction the elementals until they're dead. If your Subduction is strong enough, you could probably 2-shot most mobs with just Subduction, but mine wasn't quite strong enough last time I tried this.

For Butterflies, I'll usually use Sinker Drill and then follow it up with a Whirl of Rage or Subduction if SD doesn't kill it, which is pretty common for me. Again if I need points at the beginning of a new floor and I only run into Butterflies, I'll use a CA or Efflux Sinker Drill and it's enough to one shot them.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-03-05 15:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Personally, I find CW and Thermal Pulse too expensive MP-wise to bother with. Especially when you're going to have to be fairly self-sufficient in Yorcia. I'd rather just deal with a non-optimal (as long as it's not massively resisted) spell than use up my MP on those.
You can cap your mp every minute and a half with magic hammer. I dunno if you've tried it here but it's great. I literally can't run out of mp as long as I drop a hammer occasionally.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-03-13 16:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
You can cap your mp every minute and a half with magic hammer. I dunno if you've tried it here but it's great. I literally can't run out of mp as long as I drop a hammer occasionally.

Getting back around to mentioning that yes, I was completely missing out on how good Magic Hammer was when I started doing Yorcia on BLU. It's fantastic and absolutely handles MP needs by completely refilling MP on almost every cast. Even if you get the odd resist and you're low on MP, if you're /RDM as you should be you have Convert as a backup.

Now I use primarily Subduction, Retinal Glare, and Thermal Pulse for elementals. Occasional Rending Deluge or Water Bomb. Sinker for butterflies, following up with whatever to kill (I use QC a lot, melee works, magical spells can work).
 Ragnarok.Orlind
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-13 16:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I like using Cursed Sphere on elementals that might resist my Thermal Pulse/Retinal Glare/Subduction as it has a low MP cost, low recast and goes with my MAB set.

I also find I don't need a spell for every element as long as what I'm casting isn't directly resisted by the elementals I'm attacking. The magical 3 usually handles what I need along with Magic Hammer. Even if I get into any trouble, I usually have defense spells and can always run with Subduction active.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-03-13 16:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Temp upheaval one shots most eles. Mp should really never be an issue when you do 1.9k+ magic hammers.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-13 16:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I pop Eyes on Me for single element targets for light Escalents.

Also, for ice, why the fck would you use Cold Wave? It's a DoT spell. I think you might have meant Ice Break, but can never be too sure in question threads.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-13 17:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Temp upheaval one shots most eles. Mp should really never be an issue when you do 1.9k+ magic hammers.

Have you found you needed other spells in that case? Or do you just leave most of them out and spam that spell over and over?
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-03-13 17:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the element. Will use Thermal for ice elementals. But, pretty much try to get in the middle of as many elementals as I can. With Occultation rarely get hit at all. If butterflies are in range will Subduction first.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-03-13 17:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Posted this in the Blue Mage thread, doing again here:

This new Skirmish has me setting a lot more magic than I normally would. You can pretty much drop DD traits since a couple BLU spells can kill faster than you can engage and TP on the butterflies. Then you need a variety of nukes, and making sure they can 2-shot.

I go in /rdm for convert and Stoneskin, though Magic Hammer pretty much makes it so you don't need convert.

Quote:
I actually use /thf now for flee because /rdm is not needed whatsoever with Magic Hammer being set.

Here's my spell set:

Erratic Flutter - FC+Recast for Spells
Magic Fruit - Better healing than /rdm provides
Occultation - Tons of shadows
Sudden Lunge - Stun for annoying AoEs
Whirl of Rage - Emergency Stun for multiple elementals
Sinker Drill - Can 1 or nearly 1 shot Butterflies
Delta Thrust - DW for clubs + Can finish up Butterflies if not killed with Sinker
Barbed Crescent - Other half of DW for dual clubs.
Winds of Promyvion - Bind removal
Dream Flower - MAB trait + Emergency Sleep
Regurgitation - Good bind and hurts Ice/Wind elementals
Water Bomb - Silence and hurts Ice/Wind elementals
Rail Cannon - One shot for lone Ice/Wind elementals
Subduction - MAB trait + Best AoE nuke
Thermal Pulse - Primary AoE nuke for Ice+Wind elementals
Retinal Glare - Conserve MP + insanely good frontal nuke with low MP and recast. This is what I use after Thermal Pulse
Magic Hammer - Full MP Restore and combined with Retinal Glare can handle the Wind/Ice elementals that won't be wrecked by Subduction

You don't need every element, just avoid the ones that elementals are strong to. So I use Wind - Subduction and Fire - Thermal Pulse for AoE and Rail Cannon, Retinal Glare (it can hit 2+ targets too), Water Bomb, Regurgitation, and Magic Hammer for single targets. I've seen people use Charged Whisker too which can one shot with a decent set. CW may be better overall than Thermal Pulse in fact.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-03-13 17:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If that's true without Burst Affinity (in my gear) I may have to start setting that.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-13 17:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I like Charged Whisker for everything but Earth, Dark/Earth Hybrids, Thunder, and Thunder/Wind hybrids.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-03-13 17:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It really depends on your gear/traits. All of the aoe spells that I use oneshot the eles. Minus subduction which twoshots
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-03-13 17:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It really depends on your gear/traits. All of the aoe spells that I use oneshot the eles. Minus subduction which twoshots

How far does your subduction take down the eles? 30%? I have ok MAB gear, but Wailing Stone +2s have not been my friend. Highest aug I've gotten is +25 MAB on body and only +22 on legs.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-03-13 17:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Down to 25-35% or so.

My set is Gab/Gab + dosis tathlum
Hagondes +1 with +27 mab, eddy's, Crematio + Friomisi
Hagondes +1 with +24 mab, Helios with +17 mab/macc, Shiva +1 x2
Cornflower, Yamabuki, Hagondes with +27 mab, and Helios with +16 mab/macc.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-03-30 09:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually melee with a sword, use subduction and retinal glare then Sanguine Blade fire elementals. Magic Hammer is nice on them too.

This for me works on pretty much all the ele's apart from dark for obvious reasons and for those retinal glare, subduction and magic hammer are usually enough.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-03-30 10:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Rending deluge and a nice follow up regurgitation can take out fire elements quickly. I usually save tp for ice and wind, sinker the butterflies, and as was mentioned, subduction all the things. I find that, when in a group, ul > thunder bolt or uproot can do done serious damage. Magic hammer shouldn't be resisted if you're using anahera saber and gabxorea club off hand.

Haven't personally tried it, but heard a good fc build with lib atr. Is a good aoe drain when you need to nuke done luge back. Goes well with hammer
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-03-30 10:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

cptkel said: »
I find that my magic hammers are getting resisted more than I would like unless burst affinity is up. Anyone else experience this? Maybe its my gear. I'm still working on magic set.

Also, I find fire elementals give me the most problems. I use basically spells mentioned in this post. What is strategy for fire when you see them? Again, possibly my gear but just wondering.
Magic hammer is a light based spell. Elementals like to resist if they have an affinity for light. Try using it on dark ele's or Twitheryms and you shouldn't have a problem.

For fire ele's I use rending and then anything else that isn't Thermal Pulse as I don't set an ice spell so I don't have to worry too much about resists and I've never really had a problem with fire or fire/light. Subduction spam can also take care of them if you have other things that are strong to water in whatever group of mobs you're nuking.

Asura.Calatilla said: »
I usually melee with a sword, use subduction and retinal glare then Sanguine Blade fire elementals. Magic Hammer is nice on them too.

This for me works on pretty much all the ele's apart from dark for obvious reasons and for those retinal glare, subduction and magic hammer are usually enough.

I never engage with swords on any mobs for this event. The action of engaging and getting tp is way slower than just casting spells. Twitheryms die in 2 spells, a sinker and then either a quad or a barbed crescent which I set for DW anyway. They die in just the sinker if I can CA or EFF first.

Most mobs die in 2 nukes depending on the nuke and the ele. Subduction is a bit weaker so it takes 3.

I tend to save Retinal for a nearly all purpose nuke when I'm out of others and subduction doesn't work. You can also hit multiple mobs by facing one and targeting the other with the spell itself. The cone will go toward the way your facing but the mob behind you that you targeted will still get hit. Can be pretty useful when you're recasts are all down.
By bradinthebox 2015-03-30 11:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Do hybrids actually resist the element they're strong against, or just their own two elements? Subduction does full damage on Ice+Water hybrids but still sucks against Thunder+Wind.

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
I go in /rdm for convert and Stoneskin, though Magic Hammer pretty much makes it so you don't need convert.

SCH sub yo. You can RR, Windstorm, AoE SS at the start of a floor, Sublimation for MP bursts, Paralyna, and use Dark Arts for finisher nukes/Aspir.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-30 11:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

bradinthebox said: »
Do hybrids actually resist the element they're strong against, or just their own two elements? Subduction does full damage on Ice+Water hybrids but still sucks against Thunder+Wind.

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

SCH sub yo. You can RR, Windstorm, AoE SS at the start of a floor, Sublimation for MP bursts, Paralyna, and use Dark Arts for finisher nukes/Aspir.

/SCH would be nice if you didn't have a SCH around to use T2 storms, plus arts doesn't work with BLU magic, and magic hammer is plenty of MP recovery. I like /RDM for utility. RR is nice, but you won't have the stratagems to really utilize /SCH very well. We often bring a SMN to sit on the book because of the way pets work in there, so RR is generally a non-issue, and most people carry some kind of RR item just to be safe.
 Shiva.Zykei
Server: Shiva
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-03-30 14:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone able to hit 4k+ on Retinal glare? I've seen a few and was wonder what I'm doing wrong ;x
The last time I did yorcia, I was hitting around 2.4k(?) before weatherspoon & BA but I doubt weatherspoon & BA will add an extra 2k~ dmg :(

On the otherhand my subduction dmg generally hits harder then they do so it's not like my gear is terrible.
ItemSet 65736
Hat=20MAB
Body=28MAB
hands=15MAB/MACC
legs=20MAB
feet=25MAB

It's been awhile since I did much in the game since Monster hunter released so my own dmg may be a bit off but I definately recall those 4k glares.