Burlesque Dancer Fired For Being Too Curvy

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Burlesque dancer fired for being too curvy
Burlesque dancer fired for being too curvy
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-03-05 10:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

New Orleans burlesque dancer Ruby Rage fired for being too curvy Seattle PI

The article has pics and a film clip.

Quote:
A New Orleans burlesque club's decision to fire one of its more voluptuous dancers, Ruby Rage, has brought a fire storm of reaction.

Last fall, Lucky Pierre's, 753 Bourbon St., told the producer of its main burlesque show that Ruby Rage was too curvy for its new approach, according to The Guardian.

Producer Bella Blue initially stood by her choice to include Ruby Rage due to her artistic contributions to the Blue Book Cabaret but eventually had to let her go when the club insisted, The Guardian reported.

The spurned dancer got in touch with 21st Century Burlesque and told what happened in her own words, published in a Feb. 21 post:

"I have been working at Lucky Pierre's for around a year. About three weeks ago I stopped seeing my name on the schedule, so naturally I asked about this because I thought it was a technical error with my phone/computer on my end.

"I finally had the chance to speak with Bella Blue, and she told me that upper management didn't think that my body type fit in with the burlesque show...."

Lucky Pierre's at first denied the allegations, according to the New York Daily News. The club's initial response on Facebook has apparently been deleted.

The only show listed Tuesday on the club's program schedule for this week was The Real Drag Queens of New Orleans.

After going public with her experience, Ruby told 21st Century Burlesque she's convinced the issue is widespread.

"It doesn't just happen to me but so many more amazing performers down here in New Orleans, and since I made my post public I have had many other full figured women come to me from across the country to tell me that they are body shamed as well. This isn't right."

Dedicated to Fone.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-05 10:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A Seattle news source reporting what's happening in New Orleans.

Slow news day in Seattle? Not enough city and state corruption to report on? Or is it just too rampant that nobody bothers anymore?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-03-05 10:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

After reading the article and the link, it doesn't necessarily sound like body shaming at all - just that they had to let her go because the club was going in a different direction.

What was wrong, was not scheduling her for 3 weeks and not telling her about it, when it should have been brought to her attention prior to the changes, and not after.

Also, after viewing her pictures, while meaty, I wouldn't say she's "too curvy" or too "voluptuous", but the club owners do get final say in whether or not a performer, however good, will meet the criteria in attracting new clientele.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-05 10:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry but I can't side with this performer. Burlesque isn't just musical, an intrinsic part of it is sexiness. Thus if a girl isn't considered sensual enough they have every right to put her off stage.

Some will say "but I like chubby gurls!" well not everyone does. The owner of the club has to care about his customers tastes, not the dancers feelings.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-03-05 10:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
There's plenty of real news out there...

I'm sure Saevel will manage to string this topic out into NINE PAGES, much like that old "Plus Size Barbie" thread. :p
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-03-05 11:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »

I'm sure Saevel will manage to string this topic out into NINE PAGES, much like that old "Plus Size Barbie" thread. :p
And I'm sure that Lordgrim will put something about dividing the country and post some youtube videos.

Are we placing bets which one shows up first?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-03-05 12:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »

God help me if this is a segue to another Barbie thread now, Schutz!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 12:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

NO FATTIES. Is our new direction.

They said I couldn't do BBW burlesque so I opened a BBW club.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-05 12:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I read the article and my reaction was "meh". She's an entertainer, people are paying to be entertained, and if they aren't entertained, they aren't paying. She's beautiful and I'm sure she'll have no trouble finding work, but if the patrons of the club aren't coming to see her, there's no reason to employ her. That said, the club did a pretty crappy job of notifying and compensating her, I think that should be the focus, not their decision to no longer employ her.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-03-05 13:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Looked at the photos, especially the MySpace-angles headline photo. Then I looked at the video.

Is that what we're calling "curvy" these days?

I wish employers would find a compromise between saying nothing at all because they fear lawsuits (something that corporations use so often they imagine that everyone else is as litigation-prone as they themselves) and saying something that invites a lawsuit. "Sorry, Ruby, you're not resonating with the customers and it's cutting into our costs" seems like something that can be said reasonably. Actually, it's something that might've been mentioned 6 months ago, like, "Find a way to draw more interest or we may have to let you go."
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-05 13:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Ruby Rage
Was she mad?
By fonewear 2015-03-05 13:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to write my Congressman a letter all caps and with bad grammar ! That will teach em a lesson !
By fonewear 2015-03-05 13:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Also in case you are wondering: I'd hit this
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-05 13:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think she is sexy but apparently I'm a chubby chaser.

If I'm going to nitpick her boobs could be a bit bigger...but we have ways of fixing that !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 13:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I think she is sexy but apparently I'm a chubby chaser.

It's ok. America is like that confused fat guy who keeps trying to go for supermodels then complains when they laugh at him.

(Average American woman is a size 12, Average male is a 40 waist)
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-03-05 13:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, I wear a 32 but still usually need a belt.
By fonewear 2015-03-05 13:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I should lose weight but light beer just doesn't cut it !

Waiting for the exercise plan that includes craft beer.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-05 14:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as there are people willing to pay to see her, I doubt it's a problem. Maybe she was losing her fan base?

Clearly a supply and demand issue.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-05 14:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
As long as there are people willing to pay to see her, I doubt it's a problem. Maybe she was losing her fan base?

I'd pay to see her so I'm going to open a burlesque club with hookers BBW's and black jack !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 14:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow I don't think 'Lucky Pierre's: Now Featuring a Fatty' hung up in the window is going to sell well.
By fonewear 2015-03-05 14:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Somehow I don't think 'Lucky Pierre's: Now Featuring a Fatty' hung up in the window is going to sell well.

Change the word Fatty to Curvy. Women do it in online dating all the time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Server: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-03-05 14:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You never know. Used to hear radio commercials in Illinois for Diamond's Gentleman club, feature 40 beautiful women and 2 ugly ones.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2015-03-05 15:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if there was potential for a profitable BBW gentleman's club then somebody would be willing to spend their money to build one no?

If my money is on the line then I'd probably build the same normal club with athletic-average look women. Niche market can be risky and you don't want to put your life savings on it.
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Yatenkou
By Cecilia Charl 2015-03-05 15:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

tig ole biddies
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-03-05 22:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

NO FATTIES. Is our new direction.

They said I couldn't do BBW burlesque so I opened a BBW club.
With blackjack and hookers?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-03-06 09:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
A Seattle news source reporting what's happening in New Orleans.

Slow news day in Seattle? Not enough city and state corruption to report on? Or is it just too rampant that nobody bothers anymore?
The PI never was simply local news. I still read it daily.

Real news rarely gets copypasted here by anyone.

Anna Ruthven said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Ruby Rage
Was she mad?
Probably a bit hurt and confused.

It sounds like a back handed layoff so the employer can squeeze out of their share of the unemployment.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-03-06 09:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xantavia said: »

You never know. Used to hear radio commercials in Illinois for Diamond's Gentleman club, feature 40 beautiful women and 2 ugly ones.
That club is in Indiana and iot is now hundreds of beautiful women and 2 ugly ones! They have a billboard too! and I don't think it was diamonds...
By Darkalenia 2015-03-06 09:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Also in case you are wondering: I'd hit this

She is beautiful.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 09:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's ok. America is like that confused fat guy who keeps trying to go for supermodels then complains when they laugh at him.

Or like a fat person who goes to the gym yet somehow gets made fun of for trying to stop being fat.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6