Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-21 12:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
it doesn't suggest someone is a worthless player. you infer things that no reasonable person would. it suggests that people would be jealous.
Thus the spam report button.

yea really. heaven forbid someone state what might actually happen (people would be jealous and complain). let's all live in la-la land where everyone holds hands, sings kumbaya, and everyone has what everyone else has, nothing more. there is no jealousy, there is no Have Nots. communistic drivel.
You looked at the "Looking to buy the runs" thread?
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-03-21 12:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

it doesn't suggest someone is a worthless player. you infer things that no reasonable person would. it suggests that people would be jealous.
Thus the spam report button.

yea really. heaven forbid someone state what might actually happen (people would be jealous and complain). let's all live in la-la land where everyone holds hands, sings kumbaya, and everyone has what everyone else has, nothing more. there is no jealousy, there is no Have Nots. communistic drivel.
You looked at the "Looking to buy the runs" thread?

O geez. /headdesk.
[+]
By Davorin 2015-03-21 13:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Davorin said: »
It has been shown that people have been banned for criticizing devs and being toxic to the OF community.
It's also been shown that posters have been banned for people hitting the report button on every single one of those poster's post.

How is that being toxic to the OF community or criticizing devs? Remember, you can (and probably will) hit the report button on here, say I'm harassing you, and nothing will get done because the mods here actually have a brain, instead of the mods on the OF.

We're talking about two different things.

People do get banned because of being falsely reported, and that is really too bad. It shouldn't happen that way.
But it does. And it happens far more often than your excuses like "criticizing the devs and being toxic to the OF community"

Pretty dumb thing to say without a source. How would you know how much more often posters are banned for X than posters banned for Y?

Anyway, I have already agreed that the discipline on the official forums is inconsistent. That should not be an excuse for others to break OF rules though, even if we don't agree with the rules.
I have used my personal experience (as you could see in my example above) and other's experiences (as it has already been reported, here in this very topic in fact) as evidence of misuses of the report feature. There are only 2 or 3 people who say that they shouldn't have gotten banned but after they posted what they said, then it's pretty obvious that they should have.

Why are you being obtuse to the abuse?

It's like you're not even reading what you're replying to.

I agree that the misuse of the report button leads to bans. I said that in the very post you first quoted me.

Most everything I've said in this thread is talking about those 2 or 3 people (of about six stories) who probably deserved the ban they got. I'm directly quoting them. I don't understand why the context is being lost.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2015-03-23 01:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Most everything I've said in this thread is talking about those 2 or 3 people (of about six stories) who probably deserved the ban they got. I'm directly quoting them. I don't understand why the context is being lost.

It's probably because the people you quoted didn't really do anything ban worthy other than annoy a couple "Report" happy posters by disagreeing with them.

If you were having this discussion with one of those people on the OF, you would likely be banned by now too.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-24 14:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Wrong thread, this is the bitching about the Official Forums thread, not the "Waa, I got LM'd" thread.
By scruffmcgruff 2015-03-24 14:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

whoops lol
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-03-24 14:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

In retrospect being banned from the OF doesn't seem like such a bad thing. It's completely dead there. No one official has said anything useful since that press conference. Kind of wonder if the whole team got shifted elsewhere or fired?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-24 14:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
In retrospect being banned from the OF doesn't seem like such a bad thing. It's completely dead there. No one official has said anything useful since that press conference. Kind of wonder if the whole team got shifted elsewhere or fired?

I don't know if it's still a thing, but being suspended or banned from the official forum used to mean suspended or banned in game as well. Or, maybe that was just a possibility if they wanted to be dickbags.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-03-24 14:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

I don't know if it's still a thing, but being suspended or banned from the official forum used to mean suspended or banned in game as well. Or, maybe that was just a possibility if they wanted to be dickbags.

Naw, that's not the case and never has been.
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-03-24 14:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a 3hourish and then a 10 day ban after the first one expired, and neither interrupted my ability to log in and play the game.

My 10 day ban expires in roughly 5 hours -- we'll see if it becomes permanent or not.

I will point out, though, that in the email I received about the ban, they refer specifically to the forums, and that any ban would be from the forums, not from the game. They were quite specific about it.

[edit]Beat to it.
 Lye
By Lye 2015-03-24 14:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps Jassik means the other way around.

Being suspended in game doesn't allow you to access the OF? Do you use your content ID to login to the OF?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-24 15:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »

Naw, that's not the case and never has been.

Maybe I am reading too far into it, but this is from their "forum guidelines"

Quote:
In addition to the restrictions set out in the Square Enix Account Terms of Use, the following actions are not allowed while participating in the forums. With the intention of improving the experience of the game for all participants, if a post includes any of the following violations, we reserve the right to take action including, but not limited to, editing/deleting/locking/moving the content without notice, restricting your forum usage, temporarily suspending either your FINAL FANTASY XI Account or Square Enix Account, or permanently banning either your FINAL FANTASY XI Service Account or Square Enix Account.
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 15:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just got banned on OF for bad words I guess. It's only til next month. So like a 1 week ban. heh
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-03-24 22:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Just got unbanned. Thought about posting, decided there's no point. SE (or its lackeys -- same thing) made the message pretty clear.
By anik 2015-03-24 22:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Milla said:
Quote:
Just got unbanned. Thought about posting, decided there's no point. SE (or its lackeys -- same thing) made the message pretty clear.

Quote:
In addition to the restrictions set out in the Square Enix Account Terms of Use, the following actions are not allowed while participating in the forums. With the intention of improving the experience of the game for all participants, if a post includes any of the following violations, we reserve the right to take action including, but not limited to, editing/deleting/locking/moving the content without notice, restricting your forum usage, temporarily suspending either your FINAL FANTASY XI Account or Square Enix Account, or permanently banning either your FINAL FANTASY XI Service Account or Square Enix Account.

I agree with you, it is clear.
By Mookies 2015-04-07 03:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just got a 10 day ban for pointing out Grekumah is a liar. He deleted my post too lol.

He claims amnesia and encumber were designed in such a way that they fall off quickly and that there were ways to avoid them even back when they were first implemented.

Anyone who plays this game knows that's a serious line of ***. Not only are those abilities virtually impossible to avoid aside from using geo, geo wasn't around when they were implemented. Ballistic kick or other targeted encumbered WS may be conal/single target, but amnesia/charm tends to be AoE. Not only that, the status effects are usually re-applied before they even wear off...

I just... don't even understand. Delete my post, okay... but give me a 10 day ban for proving you wrong? I didn't even say anything worth banning me for.

Hope that guy gets what's coming to him.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-07 06:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

SE has always been borderline HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in what they say, but only recently have they started banning the people that correct them.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-07 07:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Mookies said: »
Just got a 10 day ban for pointing out Grekumah is a liar. He deleted my post too lol.

He claims amnesia and encumber were designed in such a way that they fall off quickly and that there were ways to avoid them even back when they were first implemented.

Anyone who plays this game knows that's a serious line of ***. Not only are those abilities virtually impossible to avoid aside from using geo, geo wasn't around when they were implemented. Ballistic kick or other targeted encumbered WS may be conal/single target, but amnesia/charm tends to be AoE. Not only that, the status effects are usually re-applied before they even wear off...

I just... don't even understand. Delete my post, okay... but give me a 10 day ban for proving you wrong? I didn't even say anything worth banning me for.

Hope that guy gets what's coming to him.
I highly doubt Grekumah banned you. The community reps are the same on the FFXI and the FFXIV forums, the mods are different. It was likely an unseen mod.
By Mookies 2015-04-07 08:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't understand why I'd get banned for something innocuous unless it was him. Are they really that bad?
By volkom 2015-04-07 08:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

there is a thread about it
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-07 08:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Mookies said: »
I just don't understand why I'd get banned for something innocuous unless it was him. Are they really that bad?
I've learned that if you say anything that could be considered criticism to or about SE staff, you will be banned. I was once banned for "I'm not sure Matsui understands what he's doing by making Relics obsolete." which was deleted and I was banned for a few days. You see, the XI staff has an odd tendency to not listen to their playerbase and what it wants, electing to instead silence their opinions.

If you have an opinion, FFXI Official Forums aren't for you, they are basically useless and would be better replaced with a Blog for the Dev team and Community Reps. Community Reps don't exactly ban people, their duties are more or less translators and hype men. They are about the same thing as our VIP users (like Byrth) in they have some moderation permissions, mainly for their own threads. The most I've seen Camate do, as the lead rep, was lock a thread but I believe it was his own.

Not to be that guy, but I'd also point out that neither the reps nor the mods on the XIV OFs do this. The reps are the same people while the mods are a different team.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-04-07 09:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't it negative opinions that led them to quickly squash the original official forums? I admit I don't know the whole story on that.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-07 09:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
Wasn't it negative opinions that led them to quickly squash the original official forums? I admit I don't know the whole story on that.
I didn't know there were forums before the current OFs.
 leo
By leo 2015-04-07 09:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

SE has always been borderline HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in what they say, but only recently have they started banning the people that correct them.

They probably realized that when the player base figured out that the reps DON'T PLAY THE GAME they represent and don't know jack about it, the said players no longer take anything that is said seriously. lol

We know all too well, SE has a tendency of taking the least effort route first.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-07 09:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »

They probably realized that when the player base figured out that the reps DON'T PLAY THE GAME they represent and don't know jack about it, the said players no longer take anything that is said seriously. lol

I think Rukkirii played the games but she moved out of California I think.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-04-07 09:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
they have some moderation permissions, mainly for their own threads.

The amount of times that this would be useful in my blu thread!
By Mookies 2015-04-07 09:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »

I can't help but say I get that feeling as well. I mean, most of the community rep's responses to suggestions or complaints are cookie cutter "This is why we can't do it" rebuttals that consist of either (paraphrasing) a) the system in question wasn't designed to take that into account b) we're working on the last update and won't be able to do anything about that. or c) It would be too difficult to add said thing to the game.

I mean, I suppose he's doing his job in giving the blind masses an answer they can walk away with. But anyone with half a brain can figure out he's bullshitting.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-04-07 19:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Fenrir.Camiie said: »
I didn't know there were forums before the current OFs.

I thought they had them at launch, maybe only in Japan, and quickly decided that they were a bad idea because the internet isn't all unicorns and rainbows... or maybe that never happened...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7