Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » A few questions from a returning player
A few questions from a returning player
By Datass 2015-02-13 11:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Returning player- Just a few days back! I'm poking around for a some advice because the game has changed quite a bit since I'd last played. I quit shortly after Seekers came out. I had basically completed almost all Abyssea content, some VW and most NNI pieces. At the time I had an extremely well-geared WAR and a decently geared BST (I'd made myself the -pdt axes and had a good pet gear set). Now that I'm returning, clearly all my gear is basically 20 levels behind. So far I've collected some Trusts and geared myself up in some RoE gear. I've spent most of my time on BST as it seems to be the safest job on which to re-learn the game. Anyhow...

A few quick questions on the relative difficulties of some content: (I am asking this because the server I am on seems absolutely empty...)

1) Would it be possible for me to solo farm Delve plasm with trusts?
2) I still need some delve NM kills to get access to those accessories- is any of that soloable or will I need to /sh for help (and hopefully not have to pay ; ; )
3) WKR weren't out when I quit so I don't know anything about their relative strength. Can I solo WKR or do I need to wait for a shout?
4) Is it possible to solo or low-man any of the NM's that drop HMP's, or should I kiss my dream of upgrading my Ukon goodbye?

Unrelated to content but completely related to server pop:

5) Are any of you on Ragnarok? I am looking to either find a social shell on Ragnarok or to jump servers to a place where there is a social linkshell that is active during my playtimes (weekday evenings EST and weekends).

Thanks in advance for the feedback- I am really excited to be back, but a bit flummoxed about what to do and what order to do it...
[+]
By Keido 2015-02-13 11:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Why play a MMO if all you want to do is solo?
[+]
By Datass 2015-02-13 11:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps I wasn't clear in the original post, but I'm on a server that is seemingly empty. No one is shouting period, let alone shouting for the content that I want to try.

I don't WANT to solo, but I do WANT to play the game, which looks currently like it entails some soloing...

So, did you have anything helpful to add or were you just stopping by to troll?
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2015-02-13 11:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Datass said: »
A few quick questions on the relative difficulties of some content: (I am asking this because the server I am on seems absolutely empty...)

1) Would it be possible for me to solo farm Delve plasm with trusts? no unless you multi box
2) I still need some delve NM kills to get access to those accessories- is any of that soloable or will I need to /sh for help (and hopefully not have to pay ; ; ) no, see note above
3) WKR weren't out when I quit so I don't know anything about their relative strength. Can I solo WKR or do I need to wait for a shout?
no
4) Is it possible to solo or low-man any of the NM's that drop HMP's, or should I kiss my dream of upgrading my Ukon goodbye?
no

5) Are any of you on Ragnarok? I am looking to either find a social shell on Ragnarok or to jump servers to a place where there is a social linkshell that is active during my playtimes (weekday evenings EST and weekends).
active social? as in doing events or as in talking. btw no one is social any more its either killing stuff and getting stuff or they have no need to speak to you
Thanks in advance for the feedback- I am really excited to be back, but a bit flummoxed about what to do and what order to do it...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-13 11:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I like your name. Welcome back, for Vana'diel needs some nice butts.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-02-13 11:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Social - Blocksoup.guildwork.com
Ambitious - Stopsoup.guildwork.com

If you come to Phoenix /tell me.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Datass 2015-02-13 11:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Sieha:
I was actually looking for a bit of both. Last time I played, I was in a shell that had a pretty ambitious event schedule. I don't have that kind of time to invest anymore, but I do miss the social aspect of the game (which is noticeably much less than it was two years ago). When I returned this time, i shouted for a half hour asking about an invite to a shell before I got a reply. And I got an invite to a shell that has not had more than 3 people in it (including myself) since I joined. Hence me asking about what content is soloable...

@ Urteil:
Thanks bud, and if I do transfer I'll look you up!

@RogueThief:
Yes, those earrings and necklace in particular. I'm still freshly back so not sure what all is available. I got myself the appropriate sparks gear and weapons, but no accessories yet. Those earrings and necklace seem like staples for people I /check and are better then the lvl 99 cap options I had 2 years ago.
By Zackan 2015-02-13 12:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Returning player- Just a few days back! I'm poking around for a some advice because the game has changed quite a bit since I'd last played. I quit shortly after Seekers came out. I had basically completed almost all Abyssea content, some VW and most NNI pieces. At the time I had an extremely well-geared WAR and a decently geared BST (I'd made myself the -pdt axes and had a good pet gear set). Now that I'm returning, clearly all my gear is basically 20 levels behind. So far I've collected some Trusts and geared myself up in some RoE gear. I've spent most of my time on BST as it seems to be the safest job on which to re-learn the game. Anyhow...

2) I still need some delve NM kills to get access to those accessories- is any of that soloable or will I need to /sh for help (and hopefully not have to pay ; ; )

1: None of what you asked for is really soloable, however if you duo or trio box than that makes it highly possible. However there is ONE way to solo your plasm.... You can't really expect to do Delve Solo, however you can get Yggrete Shards and Yggzi Beads by doing lots and lots of Lair and/or Colonization Reives.

2: No you can't do Delve solo, but again what Sieha said about duo boxing or trio boxing is true. You will need to wait for a shout/start your own shout/ or come to Bahamut^^

3: The Best way to do WKR is you grab the KI required for Entry, you zone in, once you are in you either use an alt, or get a friend to use there alt, and you start shouting "/yell Do you need it? Fighting Right now! <zone> @ % Please Assist!" You don't form a party for this, in fact is its best to go in as an Individual because then you can summon your trusts. I just did Yorcia Weald the other day and we had 37 people(most having 3 trusts out each). And I am sure this number has been surpassed several times.

4: You CAN low man mobs like PIL, but really there is no point. Pil and some of the others are QUITE popular. Join a Shout, Start a Shout, or come to Bahamut^^

5: I am not from Ragnarok, I am from Bahamut, if interested do a linkshell search for Seekersofsecrets and if you come you can friend me and if you ask for my help directly 9/10 i will be avail to assist.
[+]
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2015-02-13 12:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

just wanted to add a few more info above people's answers

3) You CAN solo WKR, but not as a returning player really. Majority of the WKR bosses can be soloed by a decently equipped player with good meva gear. so if you have a friend who can help you then it'd be easy, but generally you could try shouting in town and usually enough people will show up.

4) you can low man the ones who give you pouches too, and they lowered the amount of procs needed to get capped alignment (~3 procs will do) so a blm and some luck is all you need to cap red, a healer and a dd is generally enough to kill a mob like qilin if you want hmp.
[+]
 Phoenix.Audacity
Server: Phoenix
user: Crumpet
By Phoenix.Audacity 2015-02-13 12:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If your server is that bad I would consider a transfer as soloing can only get you so far.

Best of luck!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2015-02-13 13:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont ever rely on shouting to get stuff done. do what you have to in order to get into a good group. whether its lving geo, or sending selfies (or somebodyelsies).

you are either a bad or an awesome depending on if you get stuff done or wait for it to happen to you.
By Zackan 2015-02-13 15:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
just wanted to add a few more info above people's answers

3) You CAN solo WKR, but not as a returning player really. Majority of the WKR bosses can be soloed by a decently equipped player with good meva gear. so if you have a friend who can help you then it'd be easy, but generally you could try shouting in town and usually enough people will show up.

4) you can low man the ones who give you pouches too, and they lowered the amount of procs needed to get capped alignment (~3 procs will do) so a blm and some luck is all you need to cap red, a healer and a dd is generally enough to kill a mob like qilin if you want hmp.

Can and Should are 2 separate things. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. This is a MMORPG Both WKR and VW are popular, Heavy Metal Plates are in high demand. Why 'try' to solo when they are popular and you can EASILY get help with them.
By Zackan 2015-02-13 15:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sieha said: »
Dont ever rely on shouting to get stuff done. do what you have to in order to get into a good group. whether its lving geo, or sending selfies (or somebodyelsies).

you are either a bad or an awesome depending on if you get stuff done or wait for it to happen to you.

Please please please do NOT listen to this.

Look at my profile, you see all that stuff I have done? (Obviously I am lacking in R/E/Ms) But EVERYTHING ELSE I did 90% of it via Shout groups. People like Sieha who say 'it is not possible to rely on shouting' Must have the benefit of having a group of people that can be relied in game. More power to you Sieha, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Shout Groups.

p.s. All those missions got done when groups WERE NEEDED to do them. I will give you that in this day and age most of what is listed can be done solo, but that is not my point.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-02-13 16:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

WKRs are significantly more popular during the WKR campaigns, though who knows when the next one will be (last one was a month long, ending mid January). With the increased drops, reduced entry cost, and shortened respawn, it's easy to get people to show up with a single shout. Soloing them requires proper gear and potentially some experience or preparation (such as Cursna or Holy Water for Yumcax). I still avoid Kumhau solo cuz I haven't figured out how to consistently break his aura yet.

Anyway, good luck finding a shell! I'm on Sylph with a LS that's along the lines of what you'd be looking for, so you're welcome to join if you do decide to shift servers.
By Keido 2015-02-13 16:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps I wasn't clear in the original post, but I'm on a server that is seemingly empty. No one is shouting period, let alone shouting for the content that I want to try.

I don't WANT to solo, but I do WANT to play the game, which looks currently like it entails some soloing...

So, did you have anything helpful to add or were you just stopping by to troll?

I am not trolling. I don't know the state of your *** server bro. Seems to me you are looking for BST to be the beast it was in Abby and its not in delves or WKR. Find a home with people that want to go with you. For instance WKR is most active on Pheonix on the weekends. You can Delve with 6 Basically SAM THF DD BRD STUN HEALER.
By Datass 2015-02-13 17:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
WKRs are significantly more popular during the WKR campaigns, though who knows when the next one will be (last one was a month long, ending mid January). With the increased drops, reduced entry cost, and shortened respawn, it's easy to get people to show up with a single shout. Soloing them requires proper gear and potentially some experience or preparation (such as Cursna or Holy Water for Yumcax). I still avoid Kumhau solo cuz I haven't figured out how to consistently break his aura yet.

Anyway, good luck finding a shell! I'm on Sylph with a LS that's along the lines of what you'd be looking for, so you're welcome to join if you do decide to shift servers.

Crap, you need a new Key Item each time you enter? These weren't out when I quit so I just assumed once you had the KI, you had it forever. That kinda puts a damper on things unless farming Bayld has become way faster than what it was when I quit...
By mortontony1 2015-02-13 17:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »

Crap, you need a new Key Item each time you enter? These weren't out when I quit so I just assumed once you had the KI, you had it forever. That kinda puts a damper on things unless farming Bayld has become way faster than what it was when I quit...

Bayld is decently easy to come by. As long as you're actually doing stuff in adoulin you have plenty of bayld. Plus the cap from wkrs is 25k I think? Entry ki is only 15k and it isn't hard to cap xp/bayld at all.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-13 17:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You can also burn imprimaturs for easy bayld gain if you happen to find yourself a little short.
By Crevox 2015-02-14 04:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

1) Yes. You can solo farm shards, or solo the fracture NMs out in the field with trusts. You will need to be a bit more geared obviously, but there are multiple delve NMs that can be soloed with trusts. It won't be nearly as efficient as doing delve, but yes, it's possible. A good example is the Chapuli NM in Ceizak. Another is the raptor in Morimar.

In addition, you can trade Copper Vouchers from doing Records of Eminence for plasm.

2) You can solo some of the delve NMs outside, but the majority probably not. You'll need more people.

3) It's soloable if you're very geared/self sufficient. Generally, you'll need more people. I've personally handled Morimar's WKR and Marjami's solo just fine, but I'm a SMN. I've also heard of RUN's doing it.

Either way, it's slow, and you'll generally want more people.

4) You can, but the drop rate will be abysmal to none without procs. A party is highly recommended.

You may want to consider rerolling or a character transfer. There are other servers with a much larger population.
By Pantafernando 2015-02-14 05:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think akvan is pretty trivial for a aegis pld, but prob a good mdt set and hes cake even solo (stunning death, though). Pil and Kaggen are more troublesome.

Now for the zilart nms, Aello is terrible, Uptalla and Qilin are easier imo. But i would recomend a PLD ochain/aegis to do them safely.

Alternativelly, maybe BLU with well timed sudden lunge can do the trick. Personally, i noticed my suden lunge against those VWNM pretty unnefective, but i supose next update the sudden lunge can become reliable.
By iambatman3131 2015-02-14 09:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Make a MAcc set for your blu (as much blu skill+ as you can get, then other MAcc gear) and your sudden lunge shouldn't resist.

But yes, the next update is gonna make it alot easier on blu added effects from spells.

(will be based off of blu magic skill, like it should have always been)
 Valefor.Blizz
Server: Valefor
user: Blizzit
By Valefor.Blizz 2015-02-14 11:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask to leech or join a shell that likes to farm delve and do stuff. once you get a few wins under your belt you can get 70,000-90,000 per delve and most delve gear hits the ground now so you can get several pieces cheap. 5nm +boss will open all your slots on victory.

The days of paying for Delve is over on our server no reason to pay anymore. If your current server demands payment just transfer servers. or organize a pug and lead it yourself.

Untill you are on top of your game and get some gear BEE can be soloed with trust on DNC, Shark can be soloed on DNC and Pld can also solo it, Achuka DNC can solo it Hurklan RUN AND SMN can solo. Kamir drifts Dual box pld and whm can duo it but thats a very long boring fight.

Yes depending on your cost and ambition. you can buy items to make vw eaiser at outpost camps in zilart zones. i belive its 5 a week. I do not think you can use trust npcs during vw event. Give up on your Uko thats up to you mythics are not that hard to make now get yourself a Conq. It takes a little longer to make a mythic just keep at it every day. And the gear needed to farm salvage is really easy and fast to get spark gear and if you feel great get yorcia gear also doing 3/3/3 a blm can easily solo this. popular jobs to solo salvage 2 on is blu, takes tons of gear, thf needs rhudas storm unlocked and spark gear, mnk spark gear and unlocked V smite helps. and pup. dont see a bunch of bst out there soloing salvage but it can be done.

Just comeing back though I would focus on some of the following content to start getting up to date.

Skrimish Yorcia offers you many great pieces of gear to help you out which after you upgraded it will be most jobs new pdt mdt sets.

AF/Relic upgrades farm those seals you can solo most of the bcnms to upgrade your AF and Relic.

Unity do a little research and look into this new system.

ROE: farm sparks unlock your merits to have more merits to hold high tier KI.

Do your coallition assignments if I can remeber you can not even do WKR untill you have done at least 100 tags and WKR items become lower after you do more.

Do your missions to get your new end game ring.

money issues sell sparks to buy guns on item lvl 40 page 3 top slot sells for 12k each. 50,000 sparks is equal to 492,000 gill

farm dynamis solo if glutting for punishment should make i belive 200-300 pieces a run i dont know i have not farmed much since change in steps recast time.

solo salvage can avrage 130 pieces of alex a day in about 1 hr of work 936,000 gill a day avrage.

get a small group and work together to farm skrimish its a flux market but will net huge rewards the more you do it
always get baylad every 10,000 baylad is equal to roughly 30-40 k depending on server. avrage +2 stones 400-600k each can avrage 6-12 of these a day pretty easy

VW the only current popular ones are Pill Kaggen and Akvan, with Caeleano and the other t-4 from starter citys due to haveing certain job upgrade items.

I hope some of my information helps you out.
[+]
By Datass 2015-02-14 13:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies guys- huge amount of info to digest. Sounds like I may need to try to get some gear for THF for farming purposes. Honestly, the next step is to try to read up on a lot of what you guys described in your responses because a lot of it is very new to me.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Datass 2015-02-20 09:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Blizz said: »

Could you clarify this? The rest of your list was super-helpful and I understood what you were getting at. I missed this one though. Thanks!
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-02-21 09:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Blizz said: »

Could you clarify this? The rest of your list was super-helpful and I understood what you were getting at. I missed this one though. Thanks!

You can spend your merit points now to increase your Merit Point capacity to 45, costs 280 merit points to cap it.
By Datass 2015-02-21 14:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I got that part- I don't understand the "high tier KI" part.
By Davorin 2015-02-21 15:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I got that part- I don't understand the "high tier KI" part.

High-tier mission battlefields.
[+]