Forum » FFXI » General » A free to play ffxi
A free to play ffxi
 Fenrir.Acey
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: abyssal
By Fenrir.Acey 2015-01-30 20:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone, I quit playing XI roughly 5 months ago. I underwent a little project and started making my own FTP version of xi. I do currently have everything ready to start a "beta" you could say. My question is for me to make a FTP xi could square come at me legally.

The FTP version would be a world wide game. I worried though that square could come after me for making a FTP version of there game. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated and if I ca release this to the general public, I would love for the Ffxiah community to test this for means leave me feedback.

Thank you In advance for any help you lovely people provide.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Amador
Server: Ragnarok
user: Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2015-01-30 21:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well,

If you're calling it FFXI, and keeping everything the same then yes. They could issue you a cease order, or file to have one issues, or speak to you first before doing so.

If you are to do this, you need to have some variation to the story, character names, and title name.

A while back there was a seed, might still be around for a private server for FFXI which was left at the level 75 cap area, where Nyzul / Salvage were introduced. However, it was not spread widely and it was on a private owned server.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-01-30 21:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If you use their software, coding, etc. then yeah, I'd expect them to sue.

Also, please don't advertise or link to any hacks, third party programs, or private servers here.
By Wordspoken 2015-01-31 05:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't advocate for you to do this, but if you do remember Gandalf: "Keep it secret, keep it safe".
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-01-31 05:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Acey said: »
I underwent a little project and started making my own FTP version of xi.

This isn't a little project. If you had actually taken the time to make the server end, you would've looked into the legalities well before now.

From that, I can assume you're just using DSP, a ffxi server client that's free for anyone to use and host with and taking personal credit. That's a pretty shitbag move, a lot of people have put time and effort into developing that software, if you give them problems they'll just get it blacklisted from ashita so nobody can play on your server.

On to your actual question, most DSP hosts have not had any problems from SE. Those who do pay-to-win or paid benefits are often blacklisted by ashita. If you're doing true FTP, you can expect to have no problems. The worst realistic case scenario would be a cease-and-desist order, not a lawsuit.

That said, there are dozens of DSP servers already. Some are maintained much more professionally than by a kid who considers setting up the software enough of an accomplishment to hype up. Some are hosted on real server hardware. None of these have managed to get and keep a significant playerbase, so keep this in mind.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-01-31 05:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't SE send a cease and desist order to the guy making a simple 8-bit looking version of the game? If so, I would imagine they'd repeat for anyone making a full scale FTP version.
 Bahamut.Hankeypanky
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Hankeypanky 2015-01-31 06:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2015-01-31 06:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

OP is full of ***.
 Asura.Natenn
Server: Asura
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2015-01-31 06:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone, I quit playing XI roughly 5 months ago. I underwent a little project and started making my own FTP version of xi. I do currently have everything ready to start a "beta" you could say. My question is for me to make a FTP xi could square come at me legally.

The FTP version would be a world wide game. I worried though that square could come after me for making a FTP version of there game. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated and if I ca release this to the general public, I would love for the Ffxiah community to test this for means leave me feedback.

Thank you In advance for any help you lovely people provide.
can you make KB 21~24h pop and taise it to lvl 140?
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-01-31 07:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Minivict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Minivict 2015-01-31 08:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

DAt ***
By Jetackuu 2015-01-31 08:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
I underwent a little project and started making my own FTP version of xi.

This isn't a little project. If you had actually taken the time to make the server end, you would've looked into the legalities well before now.

From that, I can assume you're just using DSP, a ffxi server client that's free for anyone to use and host with and taking personal credit. That's a pretty shitbag move, a lot of people have put time and effort into developing that software, if you give them problems they'll just get it blacklisted from ashita so nobody can play on your server.

On to your actual question, most DSP hosts have not had any problems from SE. Those who do pay-to-win or paid benefits are often blacklisted by ashita. If you're doing true FTP, you can expect to have no problems. The worst realistic case scenario would be a cease-and-desist order, not a lawsuit.

That said, there are dozens of DSP servers already. Some are maintained much more professionally than by a kid who considers setting up the software enough of an accomplishment to hype up. Some are hosted on real server hardware. None of these have managed to get and keep a significant playerbase, so keep this in mind.

It would help if there was a ftp with less bugs, but considering that to most it's impressive to just get one up and have mobs, not too shabby. Last one I tried had some combat glitches that I couldn't handle, personally.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.