Which Polearms Should I Have?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Which polearms should I have?
Which polearms should I have?
 Fenrir.Backpain
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Backpain 2015-01-28 14:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that Ryu is a no-brainer to have, but is it viable to make a Gungnir as well? Does it fill a situation where the mob has extremely high defense, and Angon is down, or does Ryu make up for the defense down that you (might) put on the mob with Gungnir's additional effect?
By Pantafernando 2015-01-28 14:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow, the question suits well the avatar.
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-28 14:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryuno > Upukirex > Gungnir

The new leviathan polearm has monstrous base damage, might be competitive too.
[+]
 Fenrir.Backpain
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Backpain 2015-01-28 15:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand that Ryunohige dominates all. I'm asking if Gungnir, or any other polearm, is worth making for any situation at all.
 Bismarck.Gippali
Server: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2015-01-28 16:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Ryuno > Upukirex > Gungnir

The new leviathan polearm has monstrous base damage, might be competitive too.

This. Upukirex is fairly easy to get and has some awesome stats on it. Leviathan PLM might be a little difficult to get due to drop rate, but a great option as well. Save the Gil and dump it into gear or a ryu!
 Asura.Fiv
Server: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-01-28 16:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I was quite surprised when i re-geared DRG and Upukirex was still the best non Ryu option, i keep telling myself it can't stay this good forever but to this date its the best 200k plasm i ever spent, even if i only play DRG like one week every 3 months.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2015-01-31 01:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

when I started playing heavily again last year and began making my Ryu, I intentionally left my Gungnir on my mannequin. there is no reason to dump roughly 15 million gil worth of items into Gungnir (especially considering the cost to make one if you don't already have it to begin with!) when that can easily buy you 2,000 of your Alexandrite towards a Ryu. considering the prices on Shiva (4,000 for Bynes/Shells, and 6,000 for Bronze) the cost of building a Gungnir from scratch and taking it to 99 would cover almost half of your Alexandrite costs for a Ryu.

I understand that a Mythic is not for everyone but Upukirex is an amazing weapon, and despite getting a Pelagos Lance with minimal effort, I cannot see losing the 5 Accuracy, 13 STR, 10 Attack, and 2% crit in favor of the 9 base damage and some regen/PDT for the rat. if you REALLY want to make a Gungnir, go right ahead and do so, but I cannot see justifying its cost these days considering the options available currently.
By mortontony1 2015-01-31 01:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So not counting serious end-game stuff with serious needs for acc, would upu still beat wkr oat pole?
By fillerbunny9 2015-01-31 23:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

for lower end content, the ability to rapidly use Stardiver or even Penta Thrust via the OaT polearm should be most beneficial. probably anything beneath delve 1 as far as content level is concerned should be good for it. I am not sure it is necessarily worth the effort of getting the KI to make one. likely will come down to how often you are hitting lower leveled content on DRG to determine if it's worth your while.