Mittamorphosis, What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mittamorphosis, what a long strange trip it's been
Mittamorphosis, what a long strange trip it's been
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-30 18:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Not sure what systems you're familiar with, but VCCS has transfer agreements to several universities. (VCCS is the Virginia Community College System).

Really if you have decent grades and fit in the range, and filled out your FASFA, it's more or less free anyway, just have to cover your other living expenses, so no I don't have a problem with that. Assuming of course it kept with the same requirements for degree progression and gpa that regular financial aid does, and I see no reason as to why it wouldn't.
Not every system is the same, and a lot of (private, non-state) schools don't accept community college credit unless it's from a specific one.

I mean, sure, if you know what you are doing, what Obama proposes is fine. But can you honestly tell us that college students know what they are doing?
I sense a joke somewhere in there.

Obama & freshman college students, neither one knows what they are doing.
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 18:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Not sure what systems you're familiar with, but VCCS has transfer agreements to several universities. (VCCS is the Virginia Community College System).

Really if you have decent grades and fit in the range, and filled out your FASFA, it's more or less free anyway, just have to cover your other living expenses, so no I don't have a problem with that. Assuming of course it kept with the same requirements for degree progression and gpa that regular financial aid does, and I see no reason as to why it wouldn't.
Not every system is the same, and a lot of (private, non-state) schools don't accept community college credit unless it's from a specific one.

I mean, sure, if you know what you are doing, what Obama proposes is fine. But can you honestly tell us that college students know what they are doing?
I sense a joke somewhere in there.

Obama & freshman college students, neither one knows what they are doing.

SOME college freshman know what they are doing. Don't go lumping perfectly fine people in with the likes of Obama.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-30 19:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about liberal arts colleges I remember the most is that the majority have a class for freshmen on what you should major in.

That always blew my mind.

I remember during orientation when we were learning how to fill out our course sheets, select classes that fit requirements, and scheduling one of the things they kept repeating was something along the lines of 'Now if you don't know your major or don't have one, that's ok, we have a few classes you can take to help you.'

Basically the people who took that class or ones similar like it were also taking extra math classes since they didn't reach pre-calculus in high school.

Why are you paying thousands of dollars (presumably, most likely a loan, probably not many grants or scholarships for these types) to go to college and not know what your major is?

The only rationale I could think of at the time was for student athletes. Of course back then I didn't know the scam. But I sure as hell knew my major. Also athletics for my school was division III. So there goes that theory.

College is definitely not for everybody, but you have to pay and sink yourself into debt to learn this out the hard way. Great social-economical business plan.

Or you could ask yourself before you sign any loan papers, "What's my major?"
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-30 22:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Back OT:

I REALLY wanted to see Mittens run as the progressive, if you will Rockefeller, Republican he was when he was governor of Massachusetts.

The way it looks like it is gong to happen:

All the Republican bit players are going to try to paint Bush as a moderate. Which he isn't.

Bush is a hardline reactionary FANGS IN YOUR THROAT conservative.

Don't believe me? Read this:

Jeb ‘Put Me Through Hell’
- Politico, about a 12 minuet read.

But not a tea party type. A royalist type. Please remember the Bushes are Hapsburgs. As in the executive may, must, override, overpower, all other branches.

And if he survives the Republican primary process, and is able to paint himself as a progressive, he will do more to destroy this country than his brother, or the current supreme court, or Obama, has ever done.
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 22:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about liberal arts colleges I remember the most is that the majority have a class for freshmen on what you should major in.

I remember during orientation when we were learning how to fill out our course sheets, select classes that fit requirements, and scheduling one of the things they kept repeating was something along the lines of 'Now if you don't know your major or don't have one, that's ok, we have a few classes you can take to help you.'

Basically the people who took that class or ones similar like it were also taking extra math classes since they didn't reach pre-calculus in high school.

Why are you paying thousands of dollars (presumably, most likely a loan, probably not many grants or scholarships for these types) to go to college and not know what your major is?

The only rationale I could think of at the time was for student athletes. Of course back then I didn't know the scam. But I sure as hell knew my major. Also athletics for my school was division III. So there goes that theory.

College is definitely not for everybody, but you have to pay and sink yourself into debt to learn this out the hard way. Great social-economical business plan.

the problem is they make it way to easy to jump between majors. "OH yeah sure you can change major, that is only a 12 credit loss"... 12 credits is a semester, and they allow this to happen again and again.

Colleges now are just businesses, and they are interested in money not teaching. They are more than happy to let you do 12 credits a semester forever so long as you can keep getting financial aid, and with the current system you can for years.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-31 01:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »

Bachelor's degrees are for academics or people entering fields that require exceptional training. Physicians, veterinarians, lawyers, professors... you don't want to send an unvetted 20-year-old with a degree into these, even at an entry level. I'm less certain on accountants; they seem to fall into a second category where the basics might only need an associate's degree but promotion prospects stall without further training, which would include lots of computer-related jobs. People like me, who possess more limited practical/marketable skillsets, are the ones the ivory towers were made for. If only I liked teaching, I've been told I'd be a great professor, but until then, I was forced to collect a piece of paper because I'm barely allowed to flip burgers anymore without it. DATA ENTRY in my city requires people with a bachelor's degree... that's literally something a chimp could be trained to do. Literally, not figuratively.
Bachelors degrees in the US are actually very rudimentary compared to other Western nations. You only take two years worth of courses focused on your major (for most schools I'm familiar with in US). Before that two years of "general education", stuff that should have been taught in high school.

Most schools in Europe (and elsewhere) have maybe a semester of "general courses" geared towards your major and then move directly into specialization.

Now, I should say some degree programs are different. Engineering still has to complete an "English" requirement in the US but they also have general ed geared towards their field of study (e.g. "How to write technical documents", which is what they will be doing as an engineer for the majority of their career).

If a data entry job is just inputing numbers into a spreadsheet, yeah, it's worthless to have a bachelors. If it is creating a program to do that automatically (which is more time efficient) than having a degree is more understandable, but again not necessary.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-31 01:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Nazrious said: »

the problem is they make it way to easy to jump between majors. "OH yeah sure you can change major, that is only a 12 credit loss"... 12 credits is a semester, and they allow this to happen again and again.

Colleges now are just businesses, and they are interested in money not teaching. They are more than happy to let you do 12 credits a semester forever so long as you can keep getting financial aid, and with the current system you can for years.
Bingo!

Of course this can work in your favor if after your first year you decide to take an extra few courses for a minor, then a year after that find out that for an extra 2 years you can get 2 degrees w/ 2 minors, lol. Then again I was the only Computer Science major I knew who took Calculus III as a 'general science' elective.

But I digress from the point, unless you're doing something and stick with it, no point going to college. With any major.

Of course if you have the money to do so, you could just get that piece of paper for bragging rights, lol.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-31 08:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong, there's this thing that's mandated by federal law to get financial aid known as a completion rate, that you have to stay within or you lose your financial aid.

It's been that way at least for years now.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-31 08:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether or not the system is strict (it's not, imo) in regards to federal student aid that wasn't before but is now privatized or will be eventually does not change the business model. Even if no loans are involved.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-31 09:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong, there's this thing that's mandated by federal law to get financial aid known as a completion rate, that you have to stay within or you lose your financial aid.

It's not enforced, and you know it.

The retention rates alone would blow those completion rates out of the water.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-31 09:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, whatever you say there guy.
By Nazrious 2015-01-31 12:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, whatever you say there guy.

I know people who have been doing 4 yr degree for over 6 years. Some people also take 4 years to complete an associates.

But sure, you know what the hell you are talking about. Seriously Jet go troll some where else.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-31 13:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because some people do other things besides school while they're in school equates to I'm a troll.

Holy hell you're a moron, go be stupid somewhere else.

As somebody who is in classes while working, and has been for years, I know what I'm talking about, and know without a doubt that you are wrong. Interestingly enough, if you don't maintain satisfactory progress, all of your financial aid is cut off, federal, state, loans, grants.

Also learn what "troll" means, as I am not one, but nice try.

As for the actual process, yes there's appeals from when you're initially cut off, but they have a limit, and even if you're taking a lot of unnecessary classes you still have to pass at a 2/3 rate with good standing or you're cut off as well.

Now we can talk about the pros/cons of people switching majors/degrees, as there's actually something to discuss there, or we can keep making up issues where there isn't, but that reminds me of some other major platform ideas, hmm.
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-31 15:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

troll speak

You like to read single words and then go off on tangents. in the above troll speak if I translated it properly you even admit that if you pass 2/3 of class and show "progress" you fin. aid. won't be cut off.

Thus, as I said you troll, a person can go after a 4 yr degree for years 6+ and keep receiving fin. aid. One trick, to work around the whole progress issue is simply to swap majors.

Yeah that is right there are some people who intentionally switch majors just to keep going to college.

1)Showing up to lolundergrad classes and passing is a joke in many colleges.
2) you can take out loans for living expenses also.
3) I'm in college, sounds better than, I am searching for work that pays more than 10$ an hour with my Ba degree in philosophy.
4) Many people see the end and just have no Fing clue what they will do.

These are just a few reasons why people stay/ want to prolong the whole college ordeal.

But Jet you will respond as you always do with nonsense, so w/e.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-01 13:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Your reading comprehension is something to be improved upon.

even if you're taking a lot of unnecessary classes you still have to pass at a 2/3 rate with good standing or you're cut off as well.
That's not an or statement, that's an and statement, supplemental, not excluding.

You also don't know what the word trolling means, but that's alright, a lot of others don't know the meaning of it either, at least your ignorance is commonplace.

Also, for federal loans (not private) you still need to maintain the same standards for academic progress as other financial aid, like I've already stated.

If somebody can get a bank to give them a private loan, then it's between them and the bank. Unless of course the banks are purposelessly giving loans they know will fail and then sell them as investment packages artificially inflating the value until it crashes, too bad there isn't regulations against such practices.

But go on and keep avoiding the reality of things, makes you look so edgy.
By Nazrious 2015-02-01 14:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

even if you're taking a lot of unnecessary classes you still have to pass at a 2/3 rate with good standing or you're cut off as well.

Because 2/3 pass rate is hard?

You are also wrong about being cut off from fed loans but w/e.

When some one intentionally argues a point without logic or facts just to be contrary, that is Trolling, which you do all the time.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-02-01 14:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

When some one intentionally argues a point without logic or facts just to be contrary, that is Trolling, which you do all the time.

inb4 Jet says you don't know what trolling is.

Edit: Oh wait.. He already did..
By Jetackuu 2015-02-01 17:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Never said a 2/3 rate wasn't hard, but it's just one of many requirements.

I'm not wrong about the federal loans btw.

I've used logic and facts, you have not, I never hop into something to be contradictory. So like I said: you apparently don't grasp what trolling is if you think I do it.

I like how Alti is backing you up, as he's the paragon of intelligence, and knows everything about education.
By Altimaomega 2015-02-01 17:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I implied a 2/3 rate wasn't hard, but it's just one of many requirements.

I'm probably wrong about the federal loans btw.

I've never used logic and facts in my entire life, you have, I always hop into something to be contradictory. So like you said: I apparently don't grasp what trolling is.

I like how Alti is backing you up, as he's the paragon of intelligence, and I wish I could have his baby's.

ftfy
By Jetackuu 2015-02-01 17:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh look at you projecting, it's cute.
By Nazrious 2015-02-01 23:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

wtf am I doing.
As Wonder says,

"Don't feed the trolls."
By Altimaomega 2015-02-02 00:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh look at you projecting, it's cute.

Oh look at you deflecting, it's predictable.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-02 06:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Mitt Romney is old news, please post in Random P&R, only the worthless 47% post about him here.
[+]