Is FF11 Doing Better Than We Thought?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is FF11 doing better than we thought?
Is FF11 doing better than we thought?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2015-01-30 05:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Shiva.Francisco said: »
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
SE pulling in 1.5 million usd a month for ffxi is believable

What would it cost to keep FFXI up and running, as well as have the necessary number of people working on the game?

Do we have any idea how many people are working strictly on FFXI?

High end servers... prob cost lets say 20k a year. I could be wrong but I know how much a high end web server costs and I can't see it being more than that.

The main cost is software dev, debugging and maintenance as that has human resource costs. SE is considered a premiere company and you want talent, not sure on conversions but in the US you'd want to pay your devs 80k a year and your management prob near 100k. Then you need a staff of tech support, billing support, customer support, and facilities. Tech support in every language. Translators. Distribution. Marketing.

It definitely floats at 1.5 million a month. If it ever went down to like 200k a month tho they'd prob really struggle to keep the game going. I pull all of this out of my *** based off things I know so, it's just a guess. But it's an educated guess.

To put things in perspective, 1.5 million a month is 18 million a year and that'd buy you 225 Developers at 80k a year. For comparison, I hear that the windows XP staff was about 10,000 people.

Mosts of the costs are shared across all projects. All three MMO's would be running in the same server farm and would have the same O&M and management folks. Very few developers are dedicated to a specific game and instead are dynamically assigned to different projects as needs arise, everyone wears multiple hats basically. The biggest costs are the initial R&D to build, publish and grow a game, it's a good while before they see a return on their investment. That is why FFXI is their more profitable product right now, all the major costs have been recouped and they are operating on pure profit. It's why they can afford to keep pushing out content even with the lower subscription numbers, it's pennies on the dollar to keep FFXI players paying that monthly fee.
By Zoltar 2015-01-30 20:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I was chatting it up with a GM yesterday and he couldn't tell me (because he didn't know honestly) how many GMs are still employed in the game. He could say they are all over the world(for obvious reasons) but SE isn't dwindling in numbers with regards to employees that support this game. He seemed pretty upbeat about the topic which made me happy that there's still a lot of people behind ffxi.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-01-30 20:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Our game has become an mmo with a dedicated player base where the profit easily > expenses. There are countless mobile, korean/other f2p MMO's that occupy this space.

It is a very good thing, as the game was not sold off, die out or just vanish into a forgotten sea of failed subscription models, cash shops and level grinds.

This is about as good as an MMO does after all the dollar signs and unrealistic ambition of having millions subscribers goes away.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-30 20:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Zoltar said: »
I was chatting it up with a GM yesterday and he couldn't tell me (because he didn't know honestly) how many GMs are still employed in the game. He could say they are all over the world(for obvious reasons) but SE isn't dwindling in numbers with regards to employees that support this game. He seemed pretty upbeat about the topic which made me happy that there's still a lot of people behind ffxi.
Keep in mind that none of them plays the game, at all, and most of them have never played it.

They're only upbeat because they have a job, not because of the game.
GMs take care of all games, they're not split. As for the number, it's about 10% of any other MMO.
[+]