Forum » FFXI » General » Racist Jps? Or no honor americans? Everyones info
Racist Jps? Or no honor americans? Everyones info
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Angeljcar
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-01-10 23:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal experience followed by the general knowledge.

I've met JP's who i can only communicate through auto trans. These have become great friends who have literally lent me 100+M. Were talking K club and kirins osode 2005 like ""fun" "You can have this" "i'm sleepy" "Good bye" then they disband.

On the same personal flip side, all wssbuibfsd shouts. (JP shouts aka you dont know whats going on) Specifically excluding americans. My experience is that the people that are hardcore JP ONRY. Are all about honor maybe?? Because when i try to be funny with them i get silence. With my cook JP's i will occasionally get "hmmm" "I don't understand" ^^"

Is it that their is 2 different types of JP? Like americans have type A and Type B. Most are Type B (hopefully im not assbackwards but B is the relaxed?). However maybe in japan type A is type B and type B is type A? In the sense that the ratios are flipped. Because not to be racist but here i go being racist, ALL ASIANS ARE ABOUT HONOR! Which shouts type A if youre strongly type b.
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-01-10 23:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Derp. Didnt give the general knowledge... which shouldnt have to be explained simply by the way its defined... lol (its general knowledge for my follow galkas)
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-01-10 23:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's way more fun to anonymously edit Wikipedia while shrooming than post on AH.
[+]
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-01-10 23:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
It's way more fun to anonymously edit Wikipedia while shrooming than post on AH.
I am drunk. -_- who are you and who are you working for.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-01-10 23:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dTG1_x-K8

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By thefinalrune 2015-01-10 23:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure it comes down more to a lack of understanding. There's so many cultural differences in how we communicate, joke, etc. that proper communication is often completely impossible.

I think back to a Spanish speaking friend of mine that kept trying to tell me a joke in english that simply didn't work because the word structure and sounds are different. I never assumed it was JP ONRY out of spite but more wanting to avoid hassle altogether.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-10 23:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

thefinalrune said: »
Pretty sure it comes down more to a lack of understanding. There's so many cultural differences in how we communicate, joke, etc. that proper communication is often completely impossible.

I think back to a Spanish speaking friend of mine that kept trying to tell me a joke in english that simply didn't work because the word structure and sounds are different. I never assumed it was JP ONRY out of spite but more wanting to avoid hassle altogether.

I speak Japanese, (Not like omg you're jp) enough to understand what they are after.

However, responding to some shouts, even in Japanese 99% stil don't allow you to go, because when they ask if youa re JP and you say no, even in their language, they exclude.

That's not honour, that's racist.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-10 23:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Or maybe you have a ***reputation among the JP crowd you're unaware of.
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-01-10 23:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

I speak Japanese, (Not like omg you're jp) enough to understand what they are after.

However, responding to some shouts, even in Japanese 99% stil don't allow you to go, because when they ask if youa re JP and you say no, even in their language, they exclude.

not necessarily racist, could be xenophobia (there are still some in japan that don't like Gaijins). I don't know if there is another word for not liking foreigners in the english language, but for some reason the people who make words put phobia on the ends of words even though it has nothing to do with fear.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-11 00:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »

not necessarily racist, could be xenophobia (there are still some in japan that don't like Gaijins). I don't know if there is another word for not liking foreigners in the english language, but for some reason the people who make words put phobia on the ends of words even though it has nothing to do with fear.

Now we're just playing with words if you have no reason not to let someone join, and your only reason is race, that's racist. End of.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-11 00:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Or maybe you have a ***reputation among the JP crowd you're unaware of.

This would be more probable had they not asked if I was Japanese. Not to mention more believable and acceptable!
[+]
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-01-11 00:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Odin.Blazeoffury said: »
On the same personal flip side, all wssbuibfsd shouts. (JP shouts aka you dont know whats going on) Specifically excluding americans.
There are other countries that play this game besides Japan and USA you know; They're excluding people they can't directly communicate with, not "excluding citizens of the United States."
Of course but its like world warfare. FFXI has americans VS JP. Real life.. we all know theres limited mainstream, Main threat - China: IsisL Ebola: You telling your life to relax.
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-01-11 00:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »

Now we're just playing with words if you have no reason not to let someone join, and your only reason is race, that's racist. End of.

it's not racist and it's not playing with words. and just because you say "end of" doesn't make it so. I guess another word for it would be nationalism. And just so you know... there are people that live in japan that are not japanese that are accepted.
 Bismarck.Inference
Server: Bismarck
user: Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2015-01-11 00:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always just pretty much just taken it as not wanting to deal with a communication barrier. I have dealt with many JP through purely auto-translate, however I also use it responsibly. I'm not sure how non-English EU players use auto-translate, but things like "(Bee)(Ready!)" in place of "be ready!" have never ceased to annoy me and really doesn't help bridge the language barrier at all.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-11 00:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Inference said: »
I've always just pretty much just taken it as not wanting to deal with a communication barrier. I have dealt with many JP through purely auto-translate, however I also use it responsibly. I'm not sure how non-English EU players use auto-translate, but things like "(Bee)(Ready!)" in place of "be ready!" have never ceased to annoy me and really doesn't help bridge the language barrier at all.

Don't get me wrong, the few who do speak english or accept my broken Japanese who I do the odd thing with (was more prevalent with 18 man Dalve etc) where well natured, good and we got thing's done effectively.

There's a difference when someone just point blank refuses when you can understand what they want, and they refuse the second they find out you're not one of them.

However that said, I don't like playing with that crowd anymore and just stick to my own group of friends to get anything done with minimal fuss.
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-01-11 00:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats my point. My people i know im not that only person. Plus this for truth and ignore my bad spelling.. My point for JPs is that they dont accept because english becaunse theyre ignorant... we always accept JP by the opposite racist... we expect them to be dope. i never question a random i119 sch for stun because my racist *** doesnt think a JP would every say JP SCH unless they were 119
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-01-11 01:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed, when playing in French, that certain ambiguous terms don't quite translate the way some people think they do. [Take care!] means "Pay attention and be careful!" rather than another form of goodbye. I also hated it when people would say [Bio] for bathroom because in French it was "Bacterie", and made me think they had a UTI or something.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-11 01:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Before calling Japan a racist nation you should look into their ways and gain some insight.

One of the big reasons JP will not talk to NA is due to embarrassment of not knowing how to fully speak English. Ignorance is not treated the same in Japan as it is in the US. So it's not for a racist reason or because of some superiority complex as many assume it to be.

Also keep in mind that Americans tourist that go to Japan make a bad name for us by treating the country as if it were mardi gras...
[+]
By Colossusx 2015-01-11 02:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

On a side note, I noobed @AH and bought an earring for 5m gil and it took my JP friend all of 5 min to return gil no ?s asked. Used only auto trans function and was pleasant and easy.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-01-11 02:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Before calling Japan a racist nation you should look into their ways and gain some insight.

One of the big reasons JP will not talk to NA is due to embarrassment of not knowing how to fully speak English. Ignorance is not treated the same in Japan as it is in the US. So it's not for a racist reason or because of some superiority complex as many assume it to be.

Also keep in mind that Americans tourist that go to Japan make a bad name for us by treating the country as if it were mardi gras...

You hit the nail on the head. I play with many JP players on my server and most of them are literally embarrassed they can't speak english. That is a very real thing, good on you for pointing that out, glad i read the comments first.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-01-11 03:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever been to Pearl harbor and witnessed the Japanese tourists?
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-01-11 03:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Endoq i agree with you, there is big cultural differences. I just want to let folks know do not be afraid to talk to Japanese players, you will be surprised to find that they too enjoy sharing the game. Also do not take offense if they say they do not speak English and tell you they want to speak with Japanese players only. Communication makes a huge difference and the only way to break barriers is to talk.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-11 03:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Also where they are from in their own country comes into play as well someone from central tokyo reacts very different than someone from say sashki village
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-01-11 06:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it time to necro the old Jp/foreigner interaction thing again, we're barely into the new year!
I have to go make waffles now, but you all should just go read these old topics.
Always amusing to see the spectrum of opinion (nothing new!)
Carry on.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090101114726/http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=551

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/30259/voidwatch-jp-shoutsyells
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-11 06:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I once joined a jp party, but when they noticed I wasn't typing in kana they gave me "no americans sorry", to which I responded "good, I'm not american, I'm italian". I think that melted the guy's brain he was like 'oh', then a long silence and then tried to consult with others and in my low japanese knowledge I recognized something like "she's not american what do we do?" lol.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-01-11 07:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I once joined a jp party, but when they noticed I wasn't typing in kana they gave me "no americans sorry", to which I responded "good, I'm not american, I'm italian". I think that melted the guy's brain he was like 'oh', then a long silence and then tried to consult with others and in my low japanese knowledge I recognized something like "she's not american what do we do?" lol.
Heh, I wonder what they'd say if I said I was British?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-01-11 07:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

jp in ffxi should be grateful to any american they see ingame these days, what with helping to keep the game's dying heart alive and all
By FaeQueenCory 2015-01-11 08:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I had a reverse experience of that. L0L
I joined a group and they knew I typed in English... (Trilingual here with 日本語 and Deutsch)
And I mainly used simple autotranslates for basic communication out of laziness...
And I guess no one paid attention to my JEG tag...
So when one made a joke about how well my autotranslate was structured (as in none of that <<Bee>> <<ready>> crap) for an American...
I responded and laughed telling him that I try to think about it in Japanese and use the autotranslate as such. In Nippongo romanji. (Since for the life of me... Given all my tech savvy... Given my programming knowhow... I can't get my computer to type kana and kanji... My great shame.)
The rest of the party was pure w after that.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7