Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI Crashing Display Driver
FFXI Crashing Display Driver
By Crevox 2015-01-08 20:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know why, but my display driver is randomly crashing playing this game recently. It doesn't happen with FFXIV or when I'm playing with something else, just FFXI. It happened twice yesterday, once today, and zero times the day before. I'm using a GTX 970.

Any ideas? It was happening, so I upgraded my graphics driver, and it's still happening.
By Funf 2015-01-08 20:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

i have same issue...ffxi will randomly crash due to my display driver stopping...only happens with ffxi open. screen turns off for a few seconds and then comes back on after the driver has recovered
By Crevox 2015-01-08 21:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, same here. I want to think it's a Windower update or something causing it because it didn't happen before and it's weird for it to happen all of a sudden, but it doesn't make much sense to me for Windower to crash my display driver with an update (though I guess it might be possible).

EDIT: And again... it's so annoying. Anyone? Any ideas?
By Funf 2015-01-09 17:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

do u dual box? i dont know if ive ever had it happen while running 1 char, but happens alot when i dual box.
 Cerberus.Valmur
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2015-01-09 18:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Been having the same error myself recently (been fine for many months), screen will go black ~2seconds and driver recover blah blah.. using GTX 780 TI.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2015-01-09 18:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had similar issues with nVidia cards. It's annoying especially when you have multiple chars logged on. I really believe it's a driver issue. Might wanna check that.
By Crevox 2015-01-09 23:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't dual box, no.

Like I said, the issue was occurring, so I updated my driver. Afterwards, it's still happening.
 Carbuncle.Yottaxa
Server: Carbuncle
user: Yottaxa
By Carbuncle.Yottaxa 2015-01-10 07:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If your on Windows 8 I highly recommend running FFXI in Windows 7 compatibility mode. I use a GTX 770 and had lots of random lockup issues in WKRs and Delve until I did this. At least for me this greatly reduced issues.

Also I don't know if its useful at all (as you use windower) but there is a "Graphics Stabilization" option that is in the FFXIConfig app as well. I leave that checked too.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-01-10 08:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

graphics stabilization, shadows off, weather off, pray

most newer nvidia cards will do this, there's no driver i know of that prevents it, i ended up trading in my cards for radeons after i got sick of playing without shadows/weather
By Lunareticc 2015-01-10 08:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the same problem on Macbook pro with Bootcamp. Video Card Nvidia GT330M. The video crad driver crash occasionnaly (information receive for pop up windows)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [144 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Raiderxxii
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Raiderxxii 2015-06-02 21:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm also having this issue a lot lately it seems. Currently using a GTX 670 and at least once a day now the driver is crashing. Only seems to happen when multiboxing but damn it is annoying.

Thinking of changing drivers. Does anyone who multiboxes have any suggestions?
 Ragnarok.Tarvis
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tarvis
By Ragnarok.Tarvis 2015-06-03 08:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Having the same issue with my GTX 770. Going back to the 350.12 drivers seemed to help, but still crashes every now and then. I haven't tried the newest drivers that came out a few days ago, but the 352.86 were awful for me. Happens both when I dualbox and when I only run one instance.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-03 08:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
graphics stabilization, shadows off, weather off, pray

most newer nvidia cards will do this, there's no driver i know of that prevents it, i ended up trading in my cards for radeons after i got sick of playing without shadows/weather

some card/driver combinations will avoid the crash if you disable shadows/weather/graphics stabilization, most won't, if you play ffxi primarily you should go for a radeon card because it's something that's been happening for years and will likely never be fixed
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2015-06-03 10:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems like users are reporting more display driver resets with the May drivers (353.06 and 352.86), although not for FFXI specifically. Google Chrome and The Witcher 3 are causing people issues. Going back to 350.12 or earlier may help but not eradicate the problem entirely.

From reading around, some users are suggesting to increase your TDRdelay registry value from the default of 2 seconds to something higher. If you're feeling brave and know what you're doing you could try that. You may need to create the entry. No idea if it would help though or even if it's the same problem FFXI is having.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff569918%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Did you try this when you had Nvidia cards Comeatmebro?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-03 10:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, it's hard crashing. TDR is a time period where the card is not responsive, after which it will be power cycled. With a hard crash, the card will not respond no matter how high you set the TDR: it'll just take longer to reset it.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-03 10:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it's not a great solution, but for the more savvy folks:

The game runs rather stable in a vmware VM, and as far as I can tell it makes it independent of main gpu drivers, but I honestly haven't fully tested it (or thought of a way to test that part) yet.

It does allow me to isolate a controller to each instance though, so that's a plus. (3 characters, 3 screens, 3 controllers).
 Odin.Terren
Server: Odin
By Odin.Terren 2015-06-03 10:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Just adding the sometimes-it's-the-stupid-solution as a remote possibility worth considering:

I had this happen about three times over the last ~5-6 years with this machine.

It turned out the case / vid card was filthy.

A good cleaning and everything was fine.

(yes, it was over-heating).

Those dumb confluxes in Abyssea still make the fans spin up.
By Lsu101205 2015-06-05 08:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this issue for a while when multiboxing. I fixed it by adjusting some settings in nvidia control panel.

When I get home I'll post again. I haven't crashed since making these changes. And I used to crash daily.
By Lsu101205 2015-06-05 12:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Go to control panel > Appearance and Personilzation > Nvidia Control Panel

Under Manage 3d settings > Global Settings change Power managment mode to prefer maximum performance, and turn Vertical sync off

Fixed all of my problems thus far.
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2015-06-26 16:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Nvidia has released a hotfix driver 353.38 that attempts to address Chrome Crashes/Freezes/TDRs if anyone wants to test if it helps with FFXI.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/849203/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-38/
 Siren.Kenesu
Server: Siren
user: iKhaos
By Siren.Kenesu 2015-07-24 16:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats resolution is everyone running while multiboxing. i've been getting alot of screen tearing. I'm running all 3 at 1400x900. I have fx8350 and r9 280x. 16gigs of ddr3.
 Siren.Kenesu
Server: Siren
user: iKhaos
By Siren.Kenesu 2015-07-24 19:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone?
 Asura.Pintseyes
Server: Asura
user: yurmy123
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-07-24 20:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kenesu said: »
Whats resolution is everyone running while multiboxing. i've been getting alot of screen tearing. I'm running all 3 at 1400x900. I have fx8350 and r9 280x. 16gigs of ddr3.

Enable V-Sync. Resolution won't matter as much as turning this on would. Trouble is and I'm not sure if this is still the case, X-Sync will lock your refresh rate. Some people find that to be an issue, personally doesn't bother me..