FFXI And Data Tethering?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI and Data Tethering?
FFXI and Data Tethering?
 Shiva.Snojoe
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: snojoe
By Shiva.Snojoe 2015-01-07 23:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So, at my new apartment, I don't have internet yet (and likely won't for a while, yay being broke!)

I've been doing a little bit of reading, and it sounds to me that the game doesn't use up that much data when you're not in heavily populated areas. (Given the game is hardly heavily populated anymore as it is, that statement is probably full irony).

That being said, if I were to use my iPhone's hotspot to connect to the game just to play, assuming I have no background resources running and the like (no YouTube, no torrent downloads, no streaming music, etc.), what kind of data usage would I be looking at? I have a 5GB hotspot data cap per month, and everything I've seen points to the game coming in at well under 10MB/hr thanks in part to the bare minimum requirement of a 56k connection or better. I feel like I'd be more than okay to do that, but given that I use my data from time to time on other things, I wouldn't want this to impact it in such a huge way that my usage for other things would be inhibited.

tl;dr - would I be able to use my wireless hotspot to play the game comfortably without fear of blowing my data cap in the first hour or two of playing?
By mortontony1 2015-01-07 23:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO internet > $500 phone, I didn't have a cell for ~3 years and it was great. Unless you NEED it for work I'd say ditch it. Otherwise, my only concern would be connection speed and potentially timing out or something. Never met anyone who doesn't complain about their phones speed/fact that it occasionally stops working
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-15 16:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on how much you play and for how long at a time. I used to do this a while ago when I didn't have an ISP, but had a cell phone, and the data usage monthly was extremely low compared to what my plan was. Think I had a 2GB plan and I was able to play for a few weeks consistently (with no issues of speed, lagging, timing out etc) for about 3 weeks before I saw a message about my data usage. Some days I even left it on overnight while plugged in because i forgot (be careful, this drains your battery).

I still do this, sometimes, particularly when I'm in the car or at a friend's house and have my pc with me. Tethering is great for this game.

I'll also mention that I used to watch several NFL games online, which generally burned through all of my data (in addition to youtube and social media). Eventually, they throttled it because I was careless with my data usage. I had to contact T-Mobile and ask them specifically when my billing cycle started and ended. Once I got that information, I started balancing my data much better and I never even reached that limit when I was tethering. Basically, always looks for wifi when possible, tether when needed.

But with 5GB, you're definitely fine to play 2hours/night without much consequence.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-01-16 13:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I play exclusively using a cell phone hotspot, and I rarely if ever have any issues... and I've never gotten a message about overuse of data.

(Reason: I live in the middle of nofrigginwhere, where your internet choices are expensive yet crappy satellite, or your phone. Phone's cheaper and more reliable.)

The biggest problem I've had is signal interruption when I get a text message or a phone call.
 Asura.Fiv
Server: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-01-16 14:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried to login using my phones data, the connection was too inconsistent i couldn't get past POL. Perhaps it will be different for you, but it might be an issue.
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2015-01-16 14:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »
IMO internet > $500 phone, I didn't have a cell for ~3 years and it was great. Unless you NEED it for work I'd say ditch it. Otherwise, my only concern would be connection speed and potentially timing out or something. Never met anyone who doesn't complain about their phones speed/fact that it occasionally stops working

hipsters dont need internet they need the lastest phone. same goes for food, phone > food.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-16 14:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have 4G or higher, and are getting 4 bars consistently, you should be fine. Seriously, I do this in the car on 3 hour trips, and my ffxi stays online the entire time during salvage. Of course, there are dead spots along the road, but if you're at home and can get a good signal, you'll be fine.
 Ragnarok.Boswen
Premium
Server: Ragnarok
user: Bos
By Ragnarok.Boswen 2015-01-16 14:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if there's any direct correlation, but I played XIV on an airline using the onboard wifi for about 1.5 hours and it said I only used around 20 megs of data, IIRC. I imagine FFXI probably uses a similar amount of data. So for a 1 GB plan (used solely for FFXI), you could probably get about 75 hours of playtime out of it per month. With a 5gb plan, you'd be at 375 hours -- or 12.5 hours per day, everyday -- way more than enough for most people. Again, that's just an estimate based on FFXIV, but I'd surmise that they are probably very similar in terms of data usage rates.
 Asura.Alexandero
Server: Asura
user: jalexan4
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-01-16 16:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I've had to tether before. You use hardly anything. I had a friend that would just leave the game running while he went to bed tethered, never got close to his 2G limit.