Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Antibiotic discovery: first since 1987
Antibiotic discovery: first since 1987
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-07 12:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The decades-long drought in antibiotic discovery could be over after a breakthrough by US scientists.

Quote:
Their novel method for growing bacteria has yielded 25 new antibiotics, with one deemed "very promising".

The last new class of antibiotics to make it to clinic was discovered nearly three decades ago.

The study, in the journal Nature, has been described as a "game-changer" and experts believe the antibiotic haul is just the "tip of the iceberg".

The heyday of antibiotic discovery was in the 1950s and 1960s, but nothing found since 1987 has made it into doctor's hands.

Tests on teixobactin showed it was toxic to bacteria, but not mammalian tissues, and could clear a deadly dose of MRSA in tests on mice.

Human tests are now needed.

The researchers also believe that bacteria are unlikely to develop resistance to teixobactin.

It targets fats which are essential for building the bacterial cell wall, and the scientists argue it would be difficult to evolve resistance.

"Here is an antibiotic that essentially evolved to be free of resistance," said Prof Lewis. "We haven't seen that before.

"It has several independent different tricks that minimise resistance development."

This is excellent news.

The WHO started an annual report this year on antibiotic resistant bacteria. Hopefully this will lesson future harmful effects.

Quote:
30 APRIL 2014 | GENEVA - A new report by WHO–its first to look at antimicrobial resistance, including antibiotic resistance, globally–reveals that this serious threat is no longer a prediction for the future, it is happening right now in every region of the world and has the potential to affect anyone, of any age, in any country. Antibiotic resistance–when bacteria change so antibiotics no longer work in people who need them to treat infections–is now a major threat to public health.

“Without urgent, coordinated action by many stakeholders, the world is headed for a post-antibiotic era, in which common infections and minor injuries which have been treatable for decades can once again kill,” says Dr Keiji Fukuda, WHO’s Assistant Director-General for Health Security. “Effective antibiotics have been one of the pillars allowing us to live longer, live healthier, and benefit from modern medicine. Unless we take significant actions to improve efforts to prevent infections and also change how we produce, prescribe and use antibiotics, the world will lose more and more of these global public health goods and the implications will be devastating.”
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-07 12:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to new breakthroughs in medicine, because it seems like every amazing thing that I hear about shows up in the news before human testing... and then I never hear about it again. I'm keeping my hopes up on this one, though. Anything that has the potential to destroy medicine-resistant bacteria is good in my book.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 13:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

How long until application? Estimate I mean.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-07 13:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Has to go through human trials. So, 8 years at min, according to wiki for cancer drugs.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-07 13:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

/waits for new antibiotic to be overprescribed and under-completed. Hopefully we've learned about the consequences of those two activities.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 13:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
/waits for new antibiotic to be overprescribed and under-completed. Hopefully we've learned about the consequences of those two activities.
Probably not, so expect to see these new antibiotics in 2 days.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-07 13:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to new breakthroughs in medicine, because it seems like every amazing thing that I hear about shows up in the news before human testing... and then I never hear about it again. I'm keeping my hopes up on this one, though. Anything that has the potential to destroy medicine-resistant bacteria is good in my book.
The great thing about this is at least they've discovered new antibiotics.

If these (the 25 they've discovered) end up not being suitable for human consumption at least there is a new process to look for more antibiotics
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-07 13:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be nice if it could treat mrsa without destroying kidneys
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-07 13:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Reminds me of when I read about DRACO which are supposedely gonna cure any virus(last I heard they worked for anything tested). Sucks that this stuff requires years of testing...stay alive till then my friends.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 13:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I missed that part. I just saw 25 new antibiotics and though "Yay, more stuff for people to use to kill crap with, maybe one of these will cure cancer or something like that and never get heard from again"
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-07 13:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I seriously wish that pharma manufacturers were held to more strict testing procedures for drug development that is tied to federal research money. But, innovation is expensive, and companies exist to make money.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Oh, I missed that part. I just saw 25 new antibiotics and though "Yay, more stuff for people to use to kill crap with, maybe one of these will cure cancer or something like that and never get heard from again"

That's... not how antibiotics work...
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-07 13:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I have mrsa in my blood/lungs so I have to either take antibiotics/dialysis or die would be nice to not have chemo and dialysis 2x a week for the first time since I was 17 lol
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 13:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

That's... not how antibiotics work...
Are you talking about the cancer part? I was being sarcastic...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-01-07 13:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Reminds me of when I read about DRACO which are supposedely gonna cure any virus(last I heard they worked for anything tested). Sucks that this stuff requires years of testing...stay alive till then my friends.

:0
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-07 13:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

We can only hope, but if history is any indicator no one will learn from history.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-07 13:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly my fears.

"Good news, everyone! We've found a way to cure MRSA. Also, we created super-MRSA."
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-07 17:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw that online Kara, but my source didn't go into the fat targeting thing.

Thanks.
[+]