Name one of the coolest things you ever saw in game
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-12-19 23:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember coordinating AM magic bursts in 2004 in Kuftal Tunnel, and back then, BLM was a princess job like how BRD COR and WHM are today. BLMs would be mad if melees messed up their AM skillchains but yeah, seeing 50% of an IT++ mob's HP drop from a MB freeze was always fun.

One of the coolest moments was at lv 30 back in 2004, i was mining in ifrit's cauldron, a level 70+ area. My highest job was my 30rdm an i was scared like crazy because i didnt want to delevel, the zone was full of aggro(and magic aggro) mobs, all i had was sneak and invis, which back then, were very random duration. So had to MGS around looking for mining points while avoiding aggro. Back then, adaman ore were 300-400k each which would be today's equivalent of about 2-3mil. Dropping invis to mine when a bomb was facing away and then the terror of seeing the bomb turn and aggro you! Anywway i remember running from a volcanic bomb and i was lost as hell, no map, red HP, but managaed to gain some distance between the bomb and myself and i ran down the corridor which at the end was the main "pit" of the volcano. Suddenly my screen starting shaking and the volcano erupted and laba spewed up in a towerinbfg inferno and i was like woaaaaaaaahhhhhh(and then i died).

Also the giant sandstorm tornado in weatern altepa!
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-12-20 00:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I remember those days.

5/6 in a pt.

"Sorry guys, we couldn't find a blm. Gonna disband"
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2014-12-20 00:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the most unique/amazing thing I've ever seen in FFXI was actually in the MH while watching flowerpots.

I was sitting around chatting on a mule and suddenly each of the 10 plants in the flowerpots started morphing to the "blooming" state (in the same order I had tended to them previously.) Given these were Tree Saplings, the window to witness this transition was relatively short (compared to the overall life of the plant in RL-days) so I was astonished I could even see it occurring.

Prior to that, I just assumed plants just 'changed over' at some arbitrary point in the RL game-day. I know that isn't incredible compared to some unique events in FFXI, but actually being there to witness it was pretty neat for me (and something I doubt I would catch ever again.) :p
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-12-20 00:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So was there a morphing animation/sound effect?
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2014-12-20 00:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
So was there a morphing animation/sound effect?

Nah, they just "popped" into their new forms, the models swapping out in succession. Of course, in my head, I supplied these neat "boing/sproing/woop" sound effects, LOL--the sort of mentally-filled in sounds one's brain supplies when looking at an animated action .gif maybe. :p
[+]
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-12-20 02:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing an Apoc DRK in action with Soul voiced marches and JAs. This was before the haste nerf so yeah was epic to see a scythe swing so fast. That did it for me and I was hooked on DRK ever since...
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-12-20 02:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Alliance manaburn dynamis back in the day before they nerfed it was pretty amazing.
[+]
By Artemicion 2014-12-20 02:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Coolest thing I saw was back when they were wrapping up the NA beta test, and GMs held this event where moogles would teleport you to these super hard NMs (Simurgh, Cassie, Serket, etc.) and GMs in full AF (which didn't exist yet) for jobs (that didn't exist yet) would run in and beat the crap out of these super scary dangerous NMs.

That was pretty badass even though it was just a rigged show of vanity.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tokuzi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Bodille
By Ragnarok.Tokuzi 2014-12-20 03:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Neboh said: »
Seeing an Apoc DRK in action with Soul voiced marches and JAs. This was before the haste nerf so yeah was epic to see a scythe swing so fast. That did it for me and I was hooked on DRK ever since...

I Admire Your Passion~
[+]
 Phoenix.Gameesh
Server: Phoenix
user: Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2014-12-20 04:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not necessarily 'cool' to some but for me it was exploring Wajaom Woodlands and finding a small insignificant cave. It's actually part of the Ay. Subterrane.
But for me it was just one of those little hidden areas. There's a waterfall and the place just has a lovely atmosphere. No enemies there at all. There's an unnamed target there too; adds a bit to the mystery of this place.
To this day I go back there; whenever I'm in the mood. Just sit there and listen to the calm music of the subterrane and looking at that waterfall.

The cave is at K-9 in Wajaom Woodlands, for anyone who's curious.
[+]
By Lizk 2014-12-20 05:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This game dying and moving to XIV
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-20 05:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

*opens mouth as to talk*
Verda said: »
In game.
..oh.
By Wordspoken 2014-12-20 05:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Rainbow in La Theine. Never lets me down.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-20 05:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The taru that has been botting 2 nq antican mobs on cerberus since 05' just stealin mythril beastcoins lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-12-20 06:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to Rabao, to try to flag a quest, and not being able to zone in, due to the zone character limit being maxed out. This was before the rusty cap prices were nerfed, and the zone had 700 fish bots in it.
[+]
 Asura.Kaoriasada
By Asura.Kaoriasada 2014-12-20 06:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched a level 75 dark knight miss a mandragora in Sarutabaruta when I was younger. And then their friend gave them hell about it. I still remember it to this day and it makes me wonder who the hell that was.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-12-20 07:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

war dual wield axe burn exp pt around level 50 when everyone else was still doing sc+mb party was the most impressive thing I saw back then.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-20 08:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I once saw a guy pop Machelute (WHM AF1 NM) and drag it to Selbina. It killed everyone on it's way back to depop. This was before the MPK patch.

I once saw King Behemoth go into full rage, my LS killed it while raged. My first KB kill.

I once saw an RMT kill Stroper Chyme and get the ring and try to sell it by shouting "strper ring who is do??"

I was once booted from an LS because I was lv 75. (By some totes jel stoner kid.)

I'm pretty sure I watched a divorce happen over the course of several months.

EDIT: I once dragged the Chariot NM down to my Dom Ops party and claimed that it aggroed, I later popped Tablilla and did the same thing. Both times I was asking for "halp" and telling my party that "it chase", when questioned I assured them "i not no frm were it com but it chase"
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-12-20 08:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably when the Duelist's Chapeau was finally put into my inventory after 3 years of playing the game.

Only to have them nerf Dynamis a month later and everyone else got theirs within a week.
[+]
By steroids 2014-12-20 08:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When I first started and got into my first Valkurm Dunes party, seeing this blm 1 shot a goblin tinkerer was pretty cool, then this guy trained every single sheep and lizard in the zone and killed them all with that GS ws that puts mobs to sleep.
( i was like 8 years old)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-20 09:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

my first hnm ls claiming aspid and kb in the same day i guess

never saw it happen again in all my camping years
[+]
 Cerberus.Wonton
user: WonTon
By Cerberus.Wonton 2014-12-20 09:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Back when the game was still new I was walking through Windurst Woods and there were a bunch of Tarus lined up in front of the fountain. Almost all were in Lv.1 RSE. Their linkshell was something like SynchronizeTaruLS and they started putting on a show where every other one would emote together. As in, the first one would /joy, the second would /laugh, third /joy, etc., all coordinated. They even included synchronized synthing. It was amazing, and it went on for a while. I took some screenshots but don't have access to them at the moment. The game was much more populated then so they had a pretty good audience. Does anyone from Cerberus remember seeing that?
[+]
 Cerberus.Wonton
user: WonTon
By Cerberus.Wonton 2014-12-20 09:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, and my avatar is from when the worm/mandy/rabbit belts first came out. I popped the worm belt and was just sitting there when two mandies came up, turned in opposite directions, and backed up to me like you see there. Juvenile, yes. Hilarious, definitely.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ariyon
user: Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2014-12-20 09:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically anything before Aht Urhgan was released. Everything was new and exciting to me back then, and I had so many wonderful experiences and met so many cool people that it's impossible to isolate just one.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-20 09:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
*opens mouth as to talk*
In game.
..oh.
Lol sorry the title cut me off, character limit :/ I tried rewording it like 6x but nothing read well.

Fixed. Green bars don't care about character limits; green bars don't give a ***!
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2014-12-20 10:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The gathering of my server in Mhaura on ToAU release, waiting for that first boat. There really was something magical about that boat ride and the anticipation it brought. When I started FFXI in 2005 it was already the realm of Nation quest lines/Zilart/CoP, so this was my first expansion release, and being an entirely new continent was really something amazing.

That, and being a primadonna RDM in the days of deco-burn parties in sky and being very proud that I got invites to them. :D
[+]
 Sylph.Gades
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Gades 2014-12-20 11:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

In game would be the first time exploring CoP Areas and doing its story when it first came out in 2005. Oh was that exciting! It was fresh and the music was unlike anything we had heard. Also ballista and the ballista royale. I wish they would do another but they will not touch that subject. Its rare that anyone wants to do it. but when it first came around oh that was exciting! The idea of compition was just fun!

Now a days the only thing that really excitied me was the additon of NPCs to fight along side us. I think it helps more at lower levels then higher levels really but that is just me.
[+]
First Page 2 3