School Takes Blind Kid's Cane; Gives Pool Noodle

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » School takes blind kid's cane; gives pool noodle
School takes blind kid's cane; gives pool noodle
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-18 15:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
School takes away blind student's cane, gives him pool noodle

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Missouri school district has apologized to the family of a blind student whose cane was replaced with a swimming pool noodle after he allegedly misbehaved on the bus.

Rachel Nafzinger tells WDAF-TV that school officials took the cane from her 8-year-old son, Dakota, on Monday. North Kansas City School District spokeswoman Michelle Cronk says the boy reportedly hit someone with his cane on the bus and that officials gave him the pool noodle as a substitute because he fidgets and needed something to hold.

The 8-year-old was born without eyes, a condition known as bilateral anophthalmia.

The district released a statement Wednesday that acknowledges making a mistake. His mother says school officials visited their home Wednesday morning, returned the cane and apologized to the family.

Source
By volkom 2014-12-18 15:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

that's *** up
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 15:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
that's very *** up
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-12-18 15:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
that's *** up

Seriously. /thread

Lock this ***, there is nothing else that needs to be said.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-12-18 15:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

God damn, ***the bed.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 15:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lock it quick before the *** arrive!
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-18 16:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe i'm in the minority, but feeling bad for a blind kid doesn't make it ok for him to hit people with his cane

didn't read the link just summary, so if it was accidental or w.e disregard
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-18 16:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
nothing else that needs to be said
Pool noodles can be fun to play with.

Learn more about banned noodles in NY in the next thread over!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
maybe i'm in the minority, but feeling bad for a blind kid doesn't make it ok for him to hit people with his cane

didn't read the link just summary, so if it was accidental or w.e disregard
The report never said, but in all honesty, would you think an 8 year old kid who has been blind all of his life be able to attack somebody in a closed space that he has never had knowledge of placement of objects before?
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-18 16:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

article's in december, he's been on the bus twice a day for 3 months now(more if he's been in the school system longer), i'm sure he had knowledge of placement of objects

there's not enough information to make an informed assessment, but i'm not one to assume a disabled person is innocent just because they're disabled.. if he's using it as a weapon the seriousness needs to be impressed upon him
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-18 16:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

There's plenty of ways to punish him without making a mockery out of his disability.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Josiahfk said: »
Especially if he's seen Mulan.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

article's in december, he's been on the bus twice a day for 3 months now(more if he's been in the school system longer), i'm sure he had knowledge of placement of objects

there's not enough information to make an informed assessment, but i'm not one to assume a disabled person is innocent just because they're disabled.. if he's using it as a weapon the seriousness needs to be impressed upon him
You can determine the shapes of every item in a bus instantaneous. That kid doesn't have that luxury, especially if there are objects (backpacks, legs, feet, etc.) that keeps fluctuating.

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
There's plenty of ways to punish him without making a mockery out of his disability.
If he needed to be punished at all. Unfortunally the article doesn't elaborate if he hit those kids on purpose or not, or if he was trying to defend himself or not (it is very possible that the kid was being bullied, since kids are generally little shits and will pick on anyone they deemed too weak to fight back).
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-18 18:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm usually one to find that a person is innocent unless there's evidence besides hearsay of their guilt, but that's just me.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-18 18:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Josiahfk said: »
Jetackuu said: »

I'm usually one to find that a person is innocent unless there's evidence besides hearsay of their guilt, but that's just me.
Don't ever go to France.
Don't plan on it, eh.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-12-18 19:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

He's 8, he probably is being teased / bullied otherwise why would he want to hit someone? Think of any lil kid who has emotional / anger issues and they hit out in frustration even though they know it's wrong, and the parents have to try to show them other ways of dealing with what they are going through.

Maybe I'm just guessing at information that wasn't provided but they should of found an alternative other than taking his cane away, maybe try to find out why he hit someone with it in the first place. Crazy idea I guess.
[+]
 Shiva.Katharyn
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Katharyn 2014-12-18 19:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The seats sure. But not what's in and around them. Kids, backpacks, coats, things just laying around, are all subject to change (which is what a cane would pick up, a noodle won't do even half as good, thats why canes are hard and not flimsy), and unless they grew up in a household with a blind person, they're not likely to think of keeping things more in order. Hell.. even then lol.

Regardless of whether he was the attacker or not (I'm going to assume not, because kids just are die hard to pick on anyone with a disability) you don't take a blind persons cane. Ever.

Their cane is not just an extension of themselves and thus their vision, but it's also a safety tool, because your hands are 3ft+ off the ground, it doesn't take an object more then a few inchs to trip you (Canes now often use roller tips for constant contact, vs the 2 point tap that used to often be used, tho still is by some people), and plenty of other things to miss, so taking his cane, and esp leaving it at school, is a HUGE safety concern, and a violation.

Schools are usually pretty ignorant of disabilities, but that doesn't give them cover to do things like that, it doesn't matter what he did. Would they take a kids crutches if they whacked someone?

Being in Kansas city, MO, I'm surprised he isn't going to the kansas city school for the blind.... Tho.. I don't know if that school is even around anymore, as public schools now have better access to braille books and braillers, so maybe not necessary, or perhaps the parents didn't want him to feel isolated.

But anyway. Big no no taking a blind persons cane. If he had gotten hurt, they'd be in a tremendous amount of trouble.
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2014-12-18 19:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

When you grow up with a tool that you are completely accustomed to in order to get around and function properly in the world, getting that taken away is no small thing. Taking away a stick from a non-blind kid in another situation might be appropriate, but that cane isn't just some stick. So yea... separate him or something, I don't know the details of the situation, so if he was being bullied then that's another matter. But regardless, taking away the cane was a bad call.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 23:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said: »
When you grow up with a tool that you are completely accustomed to in order to get around and function properly in the world, getting that taken away is no small thing. Taking away a stick from a non-blind kid in another situation might be appropriate, but that cane isn't just some stick. So yea... separate him or something, I don't know the details of the situation, so if he was being bullied then that's another matter. But regardless, taking away the cane was a bad call.
Times like this, we should punish the officials like they punished the kids.

Take away their ability to get around (their vehicles) and replace it with a flimsy substitute (a pogo stick) and see how they like that...
[+]
By Voren 2014-12-19 00:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Next they'll take away a paraplegic child's wheel chair for popping wheelies down the hallway.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-19 01:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bismarck.Patrik said: »
Times like this, we should punish the officials like they punished the kids.

Take away their ability to get around (their vehicles) and replace it with a flimsy substitute (a pogo stick) and see how they like that...

Agreed. Again I do not know the full story of this child but regardless that should not have happened.

There is a lot of uncalled for demonization against people with disabilities. Take for example the singer of OMC who wrote a massive hit song called "how bizarre". Thousands gave him hell because of his singing and the way his voice sounded. They did not know he was actually hearing impaired because he never made a big deal over it he loved music.

But one thing is he made a lot of money from that song.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-12-19 02:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd still attempt to beat the hell out of the bullies with the noodle.

Related vid:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Ramyrez 2014-12-19 07:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bahamut.Josiahfk said: »
Especially if he's seen Mulan.

"I lol'ed".
[+]